What lense to get for D80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to show off my works here. But I think these pics do very good justice to the kits lens.

Like they say, the problem sometimes lies behind the camera. .:p

Just joking.

I am no lens guru but i think jus becos its a "kit lens" doesnt mean it sucks.

my 2 cents.

nice pictures :)

476416254_f13e5ff6a9.jpg

476410977_de4fd060dd.jpg

476387372_5cc336f5d1.jpg

Not to show off my works here. But I think these pics do very good justice to the kits lens.

Like they say, the problem sometimes lies behind the camera.

Just joking.

I am no lens guru but i think jus becos its a "kit lens" doesnt mean it sucks.

my 2 cents.

Sui:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Thanks for all the reply. Any recommendation on where to get D80 kit? SGD1800+ D80kit is local or grey set?

Thanks for all the reply. Any recommendation on where to get D80 kit? SGD1800+ D80kit is local or grey set?

i bought my D80 body for $1500 at CP...

D80 Kit should be going for $1830 at John 3:16. That's inclusive of tax.

where' John 3:16? He's a person or shop? Does it include SD cards or beg?

i got my D80 kit (free bag) @ CP for $1899 nett. :)

If you are really keen on replacing the kit lens, then I would recommend tamron 17-50/2.8. You should be be able to save $400 if you buy the body only. Then top up a few hundred for the tamron 17-50.

I own both tamron 17-50/2.8 and nikon 17-55/2.8 and i can tell you for the price you are paying for tamron, it is definitely worthwhile. The pic quality is very near nikon 17-55/2.8.

Then, thereafter, get a 70-300VR. This is also an excellent lens. With this 2 lense, it will cover you from 17-300 with just 15mm gap in between.

CP = Cathay Photo? Went there last nite.. Qouted $1900 with bag. Then went to John 3:16, qouted $1820, will give them a call see whether got bag anot. I tot they give free 2GB SD card last time?

Btw, is Scandisk SD card good? cause Alan Photo suggest me to use toshiba.

Last question, do u normally keep 2 X 2GB SD or 1 X 4GB SD? Will it be slower with bigger GB when it comes to saving of photo (I think my SE K700i HP getting slower and slower when more and more stuff added to the mem car) ?

CP = Cathay Photo? Went there last nite.. Qouted $1900 with bag. Then went to John 3:16, qouted $1820, will give them a call see whether got bag anot. I tot they give free 2GB SD card last time?

Last question, do u normally keep 2 X 2GB SD or 1 X 4GB SD? Will it be slower with bigger GB when it comes to saving of photo (I think my SE K700i HP getting slower and slower when more and more stuff added to the mem car) ?

wah.. the pricing of D80 up by $1 @ CP? hehe.. personally i prefer to have a few SD card rather than 1 card.. (2 x 2gb).. safer. :)

If you are really keen on replacing the kit lens, then I would recommend tamron 17-50/2.8. You should be be able to save $400 if you buy the body only. Then top up a few hundred for the tamron 17-50.

I own both tamron 17-50/2.8 and nikon 17-55/2.8 and i can tell you for the price you are paying for tamron, it is definitely worthwhile. The pic quality is very near nikon 17-55/2.8.

Then, thereafter, get a 70-300VR. This is also an excellent lens. With this 2 lense, it will cover you from 17-300 with just 15mm gap in between.

Sounds just like my combination =)

Scandisk is not a good brand of cards because it's a brand of antivirus :bsmilie:

Okay, I duno about SD cards but I do know that the Toshiba is a high speed card. It depends on what Sandisk card you're comparing to.

Scandisk is not a good brand of cards because it's a brand of antivirus :bsmilie:

Okay, I duno about SD cards but I do know that the Toshiba is a high speed card. It depends on what Sandisk card you're comparing to.

Is it? I thought it was a Windows/DOS utility? :dunno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScanDisk

wah.. the pricing of D80 up by $1 @ CP? hehe.. personally i prefer to have a few SD card rather than 1 card.. (2 x 2gb).. safer. :)

But i figure if i lose one card the likelihood is i lose the other cards as well ..
unless u keep them seperated like left pocket, right pocket, ....
Murphy's Law reigns .

how abt getting a few 8GB SDHC cards too :bsmilie:

But i figure if i lose one card the likelihood is i lose the other cards as well ..
Murphy's Law reigns .

like that can shoot till siao liao..:bigeyes: too many memory spaces.. :bsmilie:

Murphy's Law reigns .

I think the risk is more of the card being corrupted than lost. I always carry 1 spare card...

BC

Hi terpeh / prataz,

Am also a D80 user and thinking of now moving on from my kit lens 18-135mm(quite a nice kit lens actually). However am quite confused in my options which are given below for your opinions (asking you coz noticed u r using similar combo as one of my shortlisted options):

Option1 - Move to a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and combine with a 70-300mm(Nikon VR oe Sigma etc) for the added reach. Reason behind this choice is that I like the 2.8 capabilities of this tamron lens, since I love to do shoot outdoors, indoors(dim lights), people, kids, family, portraits, etc etc...where i feel the kit lens does not do full justice in terms of the total pic quality(of course the nikkor 17-55 will be the best but that is gulp $2K++!!). I feel the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 will enhance my pics in this case. And of course to add to the reach if need be i can always plug in the 70-300mm when I go to the zoo or outdoor close ups, sports, etc etc...

Option2 - Ditching option1, where i have to use a two lens combo. I can instead go in for the Nikon 18-200mm VR and use it as a all in one lens solution. Yes, reach will be limited to 200mm instead of the 300mm as in option1 but i can live with 200mm. However, what i am more interested to know from your experience since you have used the Tamron 17-50mm is which takes better pics in the overlapping focal range of both. So are the Nikon VR lens pics as good as the Tamron in say the 18-50mm range, same optical quality, bokeh, sharpness, colors, vivid life like etc etc? I have heard mixed reactions to the 18-200mm VR, some people swear by it, some say it is too generalistic, and in my case I am specifically wondering if it will overcome the quality of the 17-50mm Tamron or even better the Tamron with the VR etc?

TS - sincere apologies if this is OT from your thread. Hope that the info that will be provided can be of some use to you too. If not sincere apologies, no wrong intentions to OT your thread mate.

Thanks in advance for the advice & suggestions on the above...

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Sounds just like my combination =)

Personally, I like the Tamron becoz of the F2.8, which is important in low light conditions and taking photos without flash.

Whereas if the 70-300VR is similar to Tamron 17-50, that I can't really tell yet. My current level of expertise is not high enough to tell the different. Maybe other more experienced users would like to comment?

Thanks Prataz. Err....i meant between the Tamron 17-50mm & the Nikon 18-200mm VR...looking for a comparison in the overlapping focal length range....which would be better? If Tamron is better then I would not mind buying a 70-300mm separately to overcome the extra reach. However if Nikon 18-200mm VR is better then it really solves the dilemma and one can just push back & relax with one lens in the bag....

Thinking which of these options would be better...:confused:

Cheers.

Personally, I like the Tamron becoz of the F2.8, which is important in low light conditions and taking photos without flash.

Whereas if the 70-300VR is similar to Tamron 17-50, that I can't really tell yet. My current level of expertise is not high enough to tell the different. Maybe other more experienced users would like to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.