what is the lowest shutter speed which can be used without a tripod and not blur ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superhero

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
as above...

1/2?
1/4?
1/8?
1/15?
1/30?
1/60 ?

:dunno:

General rule-of-thumb... lowest shutter speed to use for handheld shot should be approximately the reciprocal of your lens focal length.

1/20th for 20mm focal length
1/50th (1/60th or 1/40th) for 50mm focal length
1/100th for 100mm focal length
1/200th for 200mm focal length

Hope this helps! ;)

With a heavy lens, I can go down to about 1/30 and that's about the slowest I can do handheld. I think it also depends on the individual. Some claim they can handhold up to 1 sec.......hahaha;p

Originally posted by Kit
With a heavy lens, I can go down to about 1/30 and that's about the slowest I can do handheld. I think it also depends on the individual. Some claim they can handhold up to 1 sec.......hahaha;p

hahahaha. :D

For me, it's also 1/30, up to maybe 105mm or so, with proper bracing/support, maybe I can get away with the same speed on a 200mm.

For my 20mm lens, I've handheld at about 1/15s. Anyway, tripod or not, subject movement also starts to come into play. ;p

Regards
CK

i have tried 1/8 at f2.8 on 28mm on a leica range finder camera. it look sharp. at 1/30 all pic are sharp even on 90mm.
but should use tripod, why take chance? unless no tripod.

Originally posted by howie
i have tried 1/8 at f2.8 on 28mm on a leica range finder camera. it look sharp. at 1/30 all pic are sharp even on 90mm.
but should use tripod, why take chance? unless no tripod.

Rangefinders can be hand held at a lower speed without much problems. :)

Tripods are nice, but they are a chore to carry around, especially when travelling. And sometimes, you don't have time to setup a tripod, or you find that there's not enough space in front of you to setup a tripod (like on a narrow walkway with a valley below you).

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.