What is the best way to get rid of mouth ulcers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
behyx said:
CNY just over,
ate a lot of goodies,
i have a heaty body which = to ulcer breakout!

it's really uncomfortable, is there any good and fast methods to get rid of them or to prevent them (other than drinking lotsa water)?

Today i counted 3, 1 on gum, 1 on tongue, 1 on upper lips, i got 2 mini ones at the tip of my tongue - just recovered..
I tried rubbing salt, applying medication, but it usually take a few days to go disappear.. :cry:

Then it's so irritating, it's hard to talk some times, especially bad if i'm meeting clients. :cry:

put watermelon skin (the dark green portion)...or papaya skin on them and hold it for 30 mins.

watermelon frost from china is good...but u need to keep applying...cos ur saliva will remove them.

remember to drink lots of water

Wai said:
i use bonjela too, damn painful until tears also come out

works but not sure if there are better alternatives

I use Bonjela too :thumbsup:

At least to me the pain caused by Bonjela is bearable as compared to salt.

Salt doesn't works on me too:dunno:

Thank you guys! After a good night sleep, so many posts!!

I'm actually using Kenelog these days, but it has very very slow effect on me. I don't really like it. :(

I use watermelon frost too, but for out of reach area like when ulcers grow at throat area. It isn't too effective too. :(

It's been a looong time since i last used Bonjela. I remember it hurts like hell!

Anybody knows effective method for applying salt? Like rubbing the white thingy off? Or put it there n not touch it for how long? - Sometimes it will bleed on it's own! very disgusting.

Salt works for me.

No pain, no gain. One shot pain-pain kills all the pain.

Why dun you consult a GP? They are in the best position to advise you.

Free consultation:

1. Oracort E is the best. Has steroid AND a local anesthetic. Pain goes off within 5 min, and ulcer heals within a day or two.

2. Kenalog in orabase is a steroid gel. Will heal the ulcer within a day or two, but no local anaesthetic effect. More expensive than Oracort E.

3. Bonjela quite useless, in my opinion.

4. Grains of salt are nice to rub into the ulcer, if you are the masochistic sort (used to do this when I was young - shiok type of pain, then became numb from the pain). Won't help to heal the ulcer though.

5. Had tried the green bottle Chinese medicine when I was young. Worked so-so, but not as good as steroid.

Strangely, I used to have ulcers quite often when I was younger, but much less often nowadays. Less stressed I suppose.

Very comprehensive. Thanks Doc! :) Think i will try Oracort E...

StreetShooter said:
Free consultation:

1. Oracort E is the best. Has steroid AND a local anesthetic. Pain goes off within 5 min, and ulcer heals within a day or two.

2. Kenalog in orabase is a steroid gel. Will heal the ulcer within a day or two, but no local anaesthetic effect. More expensive than Oracort E.

3. Bonjela quite useless, in my opinion.

4. Grains of salt are nice to rub into the ulcer, if you are the masochistic sort (used to do this when I was young - shiok type of pain, then became numb from the pain). Won't help to heal the ulcer though.

5. Had tried the green bottle Chinese medicine when I was young. Worked so-so, but not as good as steroid.

Strangely, I used to have ulcers quite often when I was younger, but much less often nowadays. Less stressed I suppose.

StreetShooter said:
Free consultation:

can do a MO for Oracort E? ;p

try talking to ur ulcer...

"dear ulcer/s, please go away.. i'm in pain.. ouch.. or else i will put salt on u and let u feel the pain too!!!"

then pause for awhile... then...

"MUA HAHAHAHAHA!!"

think shd be gone after a nite sleep... :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Haha Wai! pls check consumer corner for the MO thread.. haha kidding man
jimtong, that's a very good question.

Dr StreetShooter, i have a question to ask, for your analyst of the medicine and methods, does it apply to all people? Will some medicine be ineffective to some people?

behyx said:
StreetShooter, i have a question to ask, for your analyst of the medicine and methods, does it apply to all people? Will some medicine be ineffective to some people?

The correct answer is yes. In practical terms, no. Some medicines (like Oracort E) will work in 99% of cases. What would your answer be?

It's a prescription-only medicine, so get it from your friendly neighbourhood GP.

Salt works for me. I usually allpy fine salt right on the ulcers and dont rinse off. next day cured liao.

Bonjela also works for me. I have one tube in my fridge. nice cooling feeling when applied cold.

Apart from that, also need to reduce heaty food and drink plenty of water and eat lots of fruits. Watermelon is best.

So far bonjela doesn't work on me. My effective method is apply salt or watermelon frost (can be bought from Sin Seh). Apply it when the ulcer still at the early stage.

Do not rub the salt onto your ulcer as it will make it worst. Just gently dapped on it...

No pain..... no gain.

Yes. Oracort is the best. Works wonders. I just apply once at night before going to bed and the next day, it's not painful. After another night's application, the ulcer is totally gone!

I think Oracort is a prescriptive medicine which you can only obtain from doctors, cos of it's steroid nature.

Wai said:
i use bonjela too, damn painful until tears also come out

works but not sure if there are better alternatives

sure or not? my kids use bonjela leh. never see them cry :think:

if ulcer appear already then use bonjela.

for preventive measures i rinse with listerine morning and night. so far very very few ulcers compared to last time. and if ulcers do appear they usually disappear very fast without even using bonjela. in fact last time i used to get ulcers when i accidentally bite my lip. after using listerine bite liao only got blood. after that the ulcers never even appear.

madmacs said:
if ulcer appear already then use bonjela.

for preventive measures i rinse with listerine morning and night. so far very very few ulcers compared to last time. and if ulcers do appear they usually disappear very fast without even using bonjela. in fact last time i used to get ulcers when i accidentally bite my lip. after using listerine bite liao only got blood. after that the ulcers never even appear.

I agree with this. I even use listerine when I can feel a sore throat coming... It helps to numb the pain as well.

photobum said:
Second to that! I get month ulcers at least twice a month after returning to Singapore. Kenelog is indeed the best ulcer medicine available. I find it a bit pricy though. ($10.50 at Guardian, $10.30 at Unity) Being a typical "Kiasu" Singaporean, I have a tube each at home, in my office and inside my attache.

The permanent way to get rid of month ulcer is to move to colder countries. Never once had an ulcer during my 8 years stay in the US. Cold sores are common, however.

Not necessary. Even when I was away in colder countries, I still get ulcers.
The main casue of ulcers is the food you eat.
In addition, when people is stress up, they tend to get ulcers too. ;)

for ulcers, i have tried many types, also consulted GPs

but one that has consistently work for me is BIO C-Plus
a concentrated orange extract.
Just take like a sweet and leave it on/near ulcer.

Next day, viola, relief from pain
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.