what is contemporary art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eikin :bsmilie: agreed :bsmilie:, btw I'll be popping by japan in 2 weeks time.. though not Tokyo. Only Osaka.

GaoZi: well.. that is one reason why I really don't see much point in "courses" if you're pursuing art just for the sake of expressing yourself. Who is to say the shitty pictures we make today... will not be considered "real art" in the distant future. :bsmilie:

So... like I said, the lecturer could have scored that piece of work based on several things that he might taught or pointed out in the duration of the course. As to what was exactly taught.. beats me :bsmilie:

i didn't really read the whole thread as it kind of gets boring.

eikin is correct about contemporary. it means nowadays - things and art, and current or pending trend. the counterpart may be classical - things that are of the past, but are good and preserved in its original form till now. if one goes into art history, there are such things as classicism and neo-classicism and plenty of stuff in modern art.

what one tend to confuse with is probably conventional. it means the usual way. the counterpart is probably avant garde, which means something out of expectation, setting new rules, and ahead of its time.

that is my take, from a non-academic point of view.

the photo that got A+ in the other thread. i'm not sure if the edited version in b/w are drastically different, but whether in contemporary or classical perspective, i can't see where the merit stands. you can see rules as rules, but the better way is to see rules as reasons, and that is where they apply regardless of time and style, be it in the past, now or in future.

Contemporary art is any crap that critics don't know how to catogorise or don't want to slag off, so they get off sounding knowledgeable but in actual fact, have no idea what the He*l it is.

It's an escape term.

Jag 'bad boy':nono:

Contemporary art is any crap that critics don't know how to catogorise or don't want to slag off, so they get off sounding knowledgeable but in actual fact, have no idea what the He*l it is.

It's an escape term.

I concur. ;p It's the term people who can't draw, can't paint, can't.... use to pass off their crap as works of art. Me bad too!

It's an escape term.

ic. so contemporary art is crap?

basically contemporary art is the same as current affairs. there are people who cares and there are people who dun cares, but it isn't good for either parties to criticise each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.