What is aperture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leg Fetish

Mar 22, 2007
Ok guys i am really new to this thing. I have read alot on apertures but all seems to be different (the way they explain it). So can someone give me the true meaning or apertures? (lens aperture, aperture, does it make a diff?) :confused:

think of it as the pupil in your eye.. its just the opening in the lens which lets light in and controls the amount of light that passes though it..

anyway, a simple search in wikipedia isn't that hard to do you know.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture

Ok guys i am really new to this thing. I have read alot on apertures but all seems to be different (the way they explain it). So can someone give me the true meaning or apertures? (lens aperture, aperture, does it make a diff?) :confused:

then you are not reading hard enough

the thing is, aperture does quite a number of things to your picture - using different aperture settings anyhow

so go and read, information about this is seriously not hard to find

then you are not reading hard enough

the thing is, aperture does quite a number of things to your picture - using different aperture settings anyhow

so go and read, information about this is seriously not hard to find

Maybe he read but dun understand... ;)

to Leg Fetish: Dun just read... try it out on your camera and see the results. When you use various aperture sizes on the same pic, watch out for the kind of pictures you get, the depth of field, listen to the speed of the shutter... etc...

Thank you guys. Didnt know i can get so much help here. Thanks alot :)

Physically, aperture size refers to how wide the opening in the lens is. As such, the bigger the opening, the more light is able to enter the lens.

Due to the varying size of the aperture, it results in some change in the image taken. If the aperture is very small, it allows light to be focused (ignoring diffraction effects) and so most of the picture will appear sharp. If the aperture is big, the foreground and the background of the picture will be out of focus, resulting in a shallow depth of view.

I was initially confused after reading time and again about apertures too. Just try them out on your cam and you will get a better idea. That's what i did.

All the best! :D

its the opening in the lens which allows light to enter, the bigger the opening the more light, vice versa. measured in f stops. higher the f number, smaller the aperture size. likewise, lower the f number, bigger the opening the aperture is.

Put in layman terms

Larger apertuer = shallow depth of field ( the distance in which the object in your photo appears sharp decreases)

Smaller aperture = Larger depth of field ( the distance between the object and the foreground and background of the picture appears sharp increases)

Welcome to the wonderful world of photography! Ask questions, demand answers!

Thank you so much guys. I've got a clearer picture now. ;)

i see this was prob ur 1st post so welcome to CS

well, i guess the other guys have already helped u a lot

aperture, in general terms, refers to an opening
so in photography, its just an opening which lets light in (from the lens to the sensor/film)

Status
Not open for further replies.