what is a workshop when u dun learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelguru

Aug 31, 2004
Katong
www.photonski.com
anyone have an idea of what is a workshop when you dun learn? and you just go shoot? :eek:

Or is it just the model?

WAIT! :nono:
before you shoot the model, do you know how to pose her?
do you have a concept or theme in mind?

Is attending workshop your reason just cos the mdoel is pretty and sexy?

:nono:
Ask yourself.

Lifs is always learnin

I am honestly tickered pink by this post! Obviously this post goes with the other post soliciting students for the Posing workshop by modelguru (aka Mark Chow?)

I had attended "workshops", locally and elsewhere. I have never attended a workshop where I did not learn anything. In the "worst" workshop I attended, I learnt how things ought not to be done!

The purpose of the workshop is defined by its goals. If the workshop is to photograph a pretty model, with minimal input from the workshop organiser, so be it! If the participants are happy, then the workshop is a success! If the stated goals of the workshop is to teach participants to "pose", so be it! And if participants like to learn how to pose models, so be it!

There is no need to make light of others' workshops to promote your workshop. One is seldom elevated by putting down others. There is a role for everyone. Personally, I have never found the need to learn to "pose" models from "gurus". The greatest "gurus" of any type (not just photography) I know seldom call themselves such anyway. There are enough magazines, books, etc showing works from "world renown" gurus/photographers to learn from. Examples of truly great photographers are Karsh, Albert Watson, Avedon, etc etc etc. Even John Clang and Leslie Kee. Study their works and see why they work. Go to museums and look at portraits etc and learn from masters, both past and present.

Photography does not exist in a vacuum. Photography as an art form exist together with paintings, sculpture, music etc. Study a sculpture, like Henry Moore's and you can learn how to pose a model. Learn the lines.

But if one wishes to have someone hold his/her hand, well, then attend a model posing class. But don't stop there. Go to the museum, look at books and magazines. Have fun!

hahaha... student - i guess our 'modelguru' here is implying here dat we can learn more by going for his classes and modeling sessions, as compared to other shooting sessions or classes by other CSers? :think:

nightwolf75 said:
hahaha... student - i guess our 'modelguru' here is implying here dat we can learn more by going for his classes and modeling sessions, as compared to other shooting sessions or classes by other CSers? :think:

That is the intent, isn't it?

I really do not know Mark Chow personally, except that he runs a modelling agency. I had heard other things too about him. But that is besides the point.

Side tracking a while. Perhaps you might have heard of a photographer called Paul Caponigro (not Paul John Caponigro, the son). Paul is a photographer of the highest order, creating art of exquisite beauty and mysticism. Obviously far from the world of fashion and models. Great he is as a photographer, I will never take a organised workshop with him! He is just a lousy teacher! Having been a teacher of some sort in a local tertiaty academic institution, I am fully aware of the great divide between practitioner and teacher. The twain may not meet!

So, if one attends a workshop, say on, developing a negative. If would be in the interest of the participants to find out the teaching credentials (I do not mean paper qualifications, I mean practical ability) of the teacher. The teacher's personal output mean just that, his output. Whether he is a good teacher is another issue.

modelguru said:
anyone have an idea of what is a workshop when you dun learn? and you just go shoot? :eek:

Or is it just the model?

WAIT! :nono:
before you shoot the model, do you know how to pose her?
do you have a concept or theme in mind?

Is attending workshop your reason just cos the mdoel is pretty and sexy?

:nono:
Ask yourself.

Lifs is always learnin

I have no idea how you conduct your workshops, but have you considered revising how the workshop is run ? Most photographers can't resist snapping away once they see a model, so maybe you can put more thought into how you run your workshops. Teaching photography is very different from photography itself.

Sometimes, its as much the teacher's fault as its the students fault.

modelguru, while it is one thing to conduct model posing lessons in the Workshops sub-forum, it's quite another to plug your own services in Kopitiam. Pls do so in the correct sub-forum and in a more above-board manner.

This thread is closed.

The Moderator
ClubSNAP

Status
Not open for further replies.