what is a Bokeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teegan

Oct 23, 2008
hey guys, came across the term bokeh and tried to google and find out how to get the same effect. but i dont quite understand, anyone care to share? :)

bokeh is simply lens blur

when a background is blurred, that is bokeh

you mean wikipedia couldn't help you, or you just throw in the line that you used google? then you need to learn how to use it better

link

I think in Hokkien it means NOT FAKE (bo keh).

blur back ground and object clear:bigeyes:;p

Last edited:
bokeh-pitcher-1.jpg

1st pic without bokeh

bokeh-pitcher-2.jpg

the 2nd with bokeh

notice the distinctive background blurring

Makes your subject stand out :)

Last edited:
Most importantly, it's not just background blur, but also the quality of that blur.

I do not believe you actually searched google. It's quite extensively described in numerous places.

Most importantly, it's not just background blur, but also the quality of that blur.

I do not believe you actually searched google. It's quite extensively described in numerous places.

many don't know you can actually type " what is ______"(fill in the blank) in search engines.

when you give someone a bunch of 'western' flowers, eg Roses, Tulips, etc. it's called a BOUQUET of flowers.
when you give someone a bunch of 'eastern' flowers, eg Japanese Sakura, it's called a BOKEH of flowers... ;)

How to take a pic with and without bokeh?

Can we blur and unblur the background easily with a DSLR?

My PNS usually always no bokeh.

Yes, by using the aperture and observing the factors that affect Depth of Field (DOF). Some more to read up: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
Bokeh is the quality of the blur part - affected by the lens as described already by others.

Bokeh needs shallow DOF, something that PnS cannot have due to physics (small aperture, small sensor).

PNS is to take record picture so usually no bokeh, if you auto all. You can still make bokeh if you know how to compose the picture esp on macro mode.

Bokeh effect are considered moderately extreme effect.

You can easily got bokeh with DSLR. Turn on - go to A mode, and turn the dial or whatever to achieve F number as low as possible. Some of the kit lense only go up to F3.x then live with that. If you are lucky and can go down to F2.8 then go for it.

Now find yourself a row of something like gate, bottles lined up etc, then position yourself closely parallel to the rows of object, so you see some closer to you is bigger, further away is smaller. Focus somewhat in the middle, and shoot.

If you are still confused, see this picture. This is what I want you to do take.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynephotoguy/2512235859/

Status
Not open for further replies.