What if the lab scratches your negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKSC

Apr 16, 2004
Dear members, what is the most that can be expected if a lab scratches your negative? I experienced a case of this recently, and was not sure what to do or what can be expected to be done.

I say "if" because I can't say with 100% certainty it was the lab's fault, but I never handle negatives myself once the lab has it sleeved and I only use this one lab. This is a pro lab thats oftened mentioned here, and who I have used for years.

The same lab processed and printed the film about a year ago, and I had them make an 8R enlargement back then. The negative and results were fine.

Ive been pleased with their work and service, but have noticed that some of their handlers don't use gloves when handling negatives.

This week I made another 8R enlargement but noticed a fine scratch running through the whole length of the frame (and the whole strip of negative). The lab didn't say anything until I pointed it out, at which point they showed me the scratch in the negative.

Anyone care to share their opinion or experience?

Sometimes it could be due to the roller that was not cleaned properly that results in scratches on the negs. Then again, some of it are some superficial that it won't affect the result, esp if lab's machine has ICE feature on it. If you're doing your own darkroom printing from C-41 process film, those scratches might show on your print. Like you, I've been going to a shop to get film process and printed.. until recently, I realised that not only are the negs scratched, but their chemicals had dust particles which are cemented on the negs.

Personally, I'll just go to pro labs that are reliable, which is why they charge a premium. You've taken time and effort to take the pictures, do some justice to your work.

Remember the disclaimer which all the labs have, which goes something like
"Sending film to us for processing/printing constitutes an agreement that, should such film be damaged by us, even if it's due to negligence, liability is limited to replacement with an equivalent amount of unexposed film"

So they got themselves well covered. :(

Regards
CK

Guys, thanks. Do you know where to go for a high-res digital repair?

LKSC said:
Guys, thanks. Do you know where to go for a high-res digital repair?

don't think you need tooo something like that. if the line is really fine just scan the negs and the zoom really into the picture and use either the healing brush or clone stamp to remove the scratch

kenneth76 said:
don't think you need tooo something like that. if the line is really fine just scan the negs and the zoom really into the picture and use either the healing brush or clone stamp to remove the scratch

How about consistent THUMB PRINTS.. I hate it when that happens... :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.