What if I develop B/w Negatives as colour ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
I heard it will come out as sepia ? Its terribly expensive here in Australia to develop B/W negatives. $1.10 per piece of photo including developing. If processed as colour film, the photos will come out as sepia ? And if I scan it using a film scanner, will it be sepia or b/w ?

ckiang

Originally posted by marcwang
I heard it will come out as sepia ? Its terribly expensive here in Australia to develop B/W negatives. $1.10 per piece of photo including developing. If processed as colour film, the photos will come out as sepia ? And if I scan it using a film scanner, will it be sepia or b/w ?
A good lab can print B&W negs onto colour paper with minimal colour cast (sepia or otherwise).

If you scan, it can be in whatever shades you want, sepia, pure B&W, blue, red, etc.

Regards
CK

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Then ... would the processed negative be ruined when process in the colour negative way ? Or would I be able to reprint as b/w photo.

ckiang

Originally posted by marcwang
Then ... would the processed negative be ruined when process in the colour negative way ? Or would I be able to reprint as b/w photo.
No. If you shoot C41 B&W films like Kodak T400CN, Ilford XP2 Super, etc, they are processed via C41 (the colour processing process) anyway.

If you shoot traditional B&W like Kodak Tri-X, Ilford HP5, FP4, etc, the lab will have to process this the "B&W Way".

Either way, you can still print it the B&W way in a wet darkroom. The colour cast came from printing, not the processing.

Regards
CK

hazardman

Aug 10, 2002
Eunos
Visit site
No it's not advisable. Use only bnw processing. But if u wanna try go ahead... but i doubt u'll have much effects. Buy CN film if u want to process bnw at color labs.

Eric98

Feb 12, 2003
West
Visit site
Hi! I do not have my dark room. Is there anyone know whether the color lab can make a traditional B/W print on B/W paper for me? Is it good or too expensive to try.... :)

ckiang

Originally posted by Eric98
Hi! I do not have my dark room. Is there anyone know whether the color lab can make a traditional B/W print on B/W paper for me? Is it good or too expensive to try.... :)
You asking about Colour Lab the lab, or are you referring to any generic lab? If you want a traditional B&W print on traditional B&W paper, try Fee Fee at Chinatown, near Chinatown Point.

Regards
CK

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by ckiang
You asking about Colour Lab the lab, or are you referring to any generic lab? If you want a traditional B&W print on traditional B&W paper, try Fee Fee at Chinatown, near Chinatown Point.

Regards
CK
I think he is talking about generic lab..
Anyway, he's based in Aussie right?

wormz777

Nov 3, 2002
N/A
I am looking to acquire a P&S as a everyday camera and hope to load it with B&W film to bring it with me everywhere I go.

Anyone can recommend me a multipurpose B&W film for use mainly in streetphoto taking? Please include the price of each roll and where to get it. Thanks

About this C41 process. Is this a cheaper way of printing b&w pictures?

Eric98

Feb 12, 2003
West
Visit site
Thanks for reply. I am talking about the traditional B/W. Have tried C41 B/W. Do not like it. I like the real B/W print especially on fiber paper. So I hope any lab can help me to enlarge my negitives though I will lost the most interesting part in B/W.... :cry: I can not set up my darkroom now...

BTW: Is there any one know the price rang for a contact print and a 8R enlargment in Fee Fee or other lab? I mean the traditional B/W print?:dunno:

Eric98

Feb 12, 2003
West
Visit site
To wormz777:
You can try TMAX-400. The 400 speed will be fast enough for general shots on street. The grain is fine. But it is traditional B/W. You can not use C41 in 1h color lab. :cool:

hyun

Nov 13, 2002
Farrer Road
Visit site
Ruby Photo told me $9 for developing and contact 1 roll of B&W. About $1 odd for 3R size prints.

Konata's chromogenic B&W dev. and printing is no different from their usual charges.

do you need to pay extra for those fibre paper etc?

wormz777

Nov 3, 2002
N/A
I heard prices for developing a traditonal B&W cost ard $1.50 for a 4R which is too ex for me.

Is C41 B&W really bad? Can I buy C41 B&W film in those normal neighbourhood shops? Which one is recommended for normal street shooting?

iceman

Jan 28, 2003
near e4
Visit site
Originally posted by ckiang
No. If you shoot C41 B&W films like Kodak T400CN, Ilford XP2 Super, etc, they are processed via C41 (the colour processing process) anyway.

If you shoot traditional B&W like Kodak Tri-X, Ilford HP5, FP4, etc, the lab will have to process this the "B&W Way".

Either way, you can still print it the B&W way in a wet darkroom. The colour cast came from printing, not the processing.

Regards
CK
in terms of quality of the prints, whats the difference between tradditional B/W film on B/W paper and C41 B/W film on colour paper?

is the difference in price worth it?

Originally posted by iceman
in terms of quality of the prints, whats the difference between tradditional B/W film on B/W paper and C41 B/W film on colour paper?

is the difference in price worth it?
Any B&W printed on colour printer usually has less contrast. The print is grayish, and blacks are usually not black enough, thus the thing looks rather "flat".

On real B&W paper, you can get blacker blacks and generally more contrast.

Regards
CK

Zoomer

Feb 4, 2002
Singapore
reverac.com
What if I use colour film and dip it info b&w developer? Would it work, and wat special effects can I expect? :D

Originally posted by Zoomer
What if I use colour film and dip it info b&w developer? Would it work, and wat special effects can I expect? :D
You can try then tell us. I have not heard of this sort of "Cross Processing" heh.

My guess is that you end up with funny looking B&W-type film.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom