What filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel

Sep 6, 2005
Hi there,
Relatively new, so kinda interested to find out what filter i shd get
I understand there are UV and circular polarisef filters.. And IR filters as well.
What other kind of filters are there?
Is there a multi-purpose filter, or there is a filter for specific circumstances? :dunno:

Shel said:
Hi there,
I understand there are UV and circular polarisef filters.. And IR filters as well.
Is there a multi-purpose filter, or there is a filter for specific circumstances? :dunno:
there are alot more filter, much more than you expect... some are skylight, UV (for UV photography, not the normal one)...etc. but none are really multi-purpose, each of them serve a function.

As a newbie, there's a tendency to buy too many filters. Just note that (according to some people's interpretation), if people see your photo and can tell that you've used a filter, then that's not very good.

Some people believe that UV/Skylight filters are absolutely crucial, for protecting the lens element, while and equally vocal group thinks they're totally not necessary. Google "UV vs Skylight" and you'll see discussions to no end about to filter or not to filter.

However, IMHO, the crucial filters you ought to get are circular polarisers and Neutral-Density gradient. And that is, if you're going to be shooting lotsa landscapes and architecture.

Otherwise, buy as little as possible. Really.

Shel said:
Hi there,
What type of effect do you want? Then can suggest filter for you.:)

Usually a UV or a MC Protector is a must for lenses as it protects the front lens element. Other kinds such as polariser, IR, B&W, ND, star, etc. are optional, but do not buy if u're not going to use it often.

synapseman said:
As a newbie, there's a tendency to buy too many filters. Just note that (according to some people's interpretation), if people see your photo and can tell that you've used a filter, then that's not very good.

Some people believe that UV/Skylight filters are absolutely crucial, for protecting the lens element, while and equally vocal group thinks they're totally not necessary. Google "UV vs Skylight" and you'll see discussions to no end about to filter or not to filter.

However, IMHO, the crucial filters you ought to get are circular polarisers and Neutral-Density gradient. And that is, if you're going to be shooting lotsa landscapes and architecture.

Otherwise, buy as little as possible. Really.

Both ND and CP reduces your stops of light. Be sure on when you need to use them.

For every day shots, you don't need any filters.

but to achieved some effect on some photos, you need a different kinds of filters for these effects.

some filters are expensive, and if you don't use it offen, will not justify the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.