What exactly is a well-exposed picture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Am I right to say that ..... a correctly (subjective) exposed picture is one that has the most detail ? Which means to say.... even a slightly dark picture that has more detail (shadow/highlight) beats a perceptively bright picture with slightly blown highlights ?

I was pondering over this before I fell asleep in bed........ .

perhaps one could share their thoughts about this subject. :sweat:

A well-exposed picture is one that fulfils what you want to convey; at least thats what i think. :)

Regards

a well exposed picture is the kind of picture you can post on ClubSnap where there are no subsequent bitching on your under/over exposure. that's the best way to tell.

to me, what you described is a image with more or less dynamic range, not erm, good exposure. personally i think a well exposed image is one that has even distribution of tones and contrast (i.e. go read megaweb's reference URL).

kjmedora said:
a well exposed picture is the kind of picture you can post on ClubSnap where there are no subsequent bitching on your under/over exposure. that's the best way to tell.

thats so untrue... as long as you like the exposure, its fine.

I'm with Wryer on this one. A good exposure is one that conveys your intent in the image. If you're after a dark and brooding moody image, then it might well be appropriate to have an image with lots of blocked up shadows.

Wryer said:
A well-exposed picture is one that fulfils what you want to convey; at least thats what i think. :)

Regards

Agree with wryer on this.

kjmedora said:

Not necessary cos some times u want to convey something and others may not like the way it is done. There will always be controversy if your choice of subject and choice of exposure is not quite the norm (which may not always be right). I guess it really depends on the person taking the photo.

well exposed is something that u like it wen u see it. no other criteria needed

clive said:
well exposed is something that u like it wen u see it. no other criteria needed

a pic u like when u see is well exposed, but a well exposed pic may not be what u like.

now i'm reviewing the histogram after everyshot i take, it helps to gauge if a shot is over/under exposed. but if the shot is OOF...i wldn't know until i see it on my 17" LCD monitor. what i think i see in the viewfinder is not always what i get in the final image....

lotsa more to learn... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.