What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

I think if the camera fulfils most of the requirements and the price is right, that's what you should go for. Once you start using it for prolonged periods, then you discover other quirks, and whether or not you can live with them.

So far haven't found the "perfect" camera :bsmilie:

LOL :bsmilie:

I'm not saying sony is the solution for all.
Neither am I advertising for sony.
Nor am I a sony fanboy.
Nor do I think there's a single perfect camera in this world.

Its just that currently a55 fulfills most of my requirements.
My previous post did state several quiks that I didnt like about it, if we dig deeper we would probably find even more.
But at the end of the day, its whether the requirements outweighting the pros and cons.
e.g buy by end oct, which forces me to look for current available cameras, video modes, etc.

Yes, personally I would agree having control over the dof for video would be great.
But I dont think any mum/gf would able to pull it off easily.
I dont even think I would be able to do a great video in MF like the link i provided, it requires alot of experience to do it.
Seeing sony giving a new firmware for NEX cameras to give some manual control for video is heartening, but no news regarding a33/55? :eek:
Hopefully they would release the controls too, to make it a better product.

I think I would go with 18-250 for starters, since I have tried it and it seems to be a good walk around lens for me and the trip, and price discount is great.

Subsequently when I'm back in SG I can pick up the 50mm 1.8 and if the motor noise is too annoying I can decide later on to pick up the 18-55 SAM or 18-70 SAM if its out or if there are any newer lens with SAM.
Since both of these lens are relatively cheaper than 18-250. Right?

P.S does a55 have a battery grip? I might need one for better grip :cry:

Hey dude.. we ain't talking about you. relax. ;)

phew! :bsmilie:

scanned the internet, seems that there isnt any battery grip for a33/55 ;(

phew! :bsmilie:

scanned the internet, seems that there isnt any battery grip for a33/55 ;(

Hint. A55/33 has a hinge located at the bottom for the LCD display. that the reason I didn't suspect any vg. Size and weight is okay. But the grip, it's just so-so, hands down to NX10 for better handling. :thumbsup:

Here's where the A55 hinge and light weight comes in very handy:

(from here: http://photoschool.pixnet.net/blog/post/17170401 )
6a16785b405ccf904ede4c8c22e58d2e.jpg

Here's where the A55 hinge and light weight comes in very handy:

(from here: http://photoschool.pixnet.net/blog/post/17170401 )
6a16785b405ccf904ede4c8c22e58d2e.jpg

not that i disagree that a55 is an able camera (as are many other offerings in the market, brand is just an artificial distinction for me)...

but seriously, being able to camwhore with a camera would be the least of my priorities. i'm sure there are way more compelling reasons than that!

but seriously, being able to camwhore with a camera would be the least of my priorities. i'm sure there are way more compelling reasons than that!

To me, I agree. To the hordes of Poly/Uni XMM new DSLR shoppers? Maybe a different story. :)

Hiya Johndoe,

No offence to other users, but get a Canon 500 or 40D, used one if you're on budget, get some good lenses. I suggest 2 if u're on a trip (1 walkabout lens, and another wide angle or fast lens).

I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.

Also, won't advise using DSLR for yr videos during yr trip. Take photos with DSLR and get a PnS for video recording- better. (videos burn up battery life fast and heats up quite a bit in DSLR :nono:)

With the above camera setup, u still have another $300- $600 for other accessories which u will definitely need.

Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it :) buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body. :bigeyes:

Hiya Johndoe,

No offence to other users, but get a Canon 500 or 40D, used one if you're on budget, get some good lenses. I suggest 2 if u're on a trip (1 walkabout lens, and another wide angle or fast lens).

I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.

Also, won't advise using DSLR for yr videos during yr trip. Take photos with DSLR and get a PnS for video recording- better. (videos burn up battery life fast and heats up quite a bit in DSLR :nono:)

With the above camera setup, u still have another $300- $600 for other accessories which u will definitely need.

Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it :) buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body. :bigeyes:

You make this sort of statement, who would be crazy enough to vouch for you...?
What brainwashing technique did they use on you?

Hiya Johndoe,

I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony - all the bros here can vouch.

OHHH! that one is I can call merchandizing... but HELOOO!!! what the hell are you talking???...
come back from Mars and we'll talk about it... :p

Last edited:
OHHH! that one is I can call merchandizing... but HELOOO!!! what the hell are you talking???...
come back from Mars and we'll talk about it... :p
I can't believe the misinformation that people would spread so they can market their own "out-of-date" stuff which they're trying to sell...

Maybe next time when I sell my DX camera, I'll start telling newbies that FX is lousy, etc etc etc... :bsmilie:

"all bros" except every review site out there? The NEX-5 and A55 have better high ISO performance than the 550D in the recent reviews. Also, Nikon uses the Sony sensors.

I suggest that you stop reading the 2-3 year old marketing material and start updating your knowledge before spouting ill-informed nonsense.

Of course, the truth is:

You mean only 6.3, compared to 7 and 10? And a 40D that had such notoriously poor autofocus and features compared to the A700 and Nikon D300 that Canon was forced to release the 50D in a hurry?

Wow, you really have been smoking the Canon marketing material.

Last edited:

When you mentioned all bros... I don't know which bros you refer to... But then again, I am not your bro. I hardly know you. ;)

And stop talking nonsense about N and C having the best noise performance.

And sorry, I wouldn't touch your 40D now that there are so many new stuff on the market. 40D is now officially 2 generations behind now that 60D is already out... :eek:

Just to share this with people who are getting (or already have) the A33 and A55 cameras, and have Sony mount Sigma lenses, or intend to buy any used Sigma lenses.

Some sigma lenses will have issues when using on A33 or A55 bodies. You need to get the lens(es) into Sigma service center to get the lens re-chipped to solve this issue.

If your lens is bought grey market you probably have to pay to get it done. And if you lens is a discontinued model, no modification/solution will be available (you're SOOL)

Read more here.
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/info_100910.htm

Hiya Johndoe,

hv u ever handled a sony dslr before?? or u just assume it is by reading it off DPreview lol :p

seems like a flame war coming.. why cant we just agree that each brand have their own pros and cons? and no brand is the best.. no doubt canon/nikon is the most popular but that dosn't make them the best..

seems like a flame war coming.. why cant we just agree that each brand have their own pros and cons? and no brand is the best.. no doubt canon/nikon is the most popular but that dosn't make them the best..

Naw, we're all just having fun. :)

Naw, we're all just having fun. :)

i certainly hope so... i just feel so irritated when i see comments like canon's the best.. cannot accept the fact that sony and other smaller brands are climbing fast.:dunno: