What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

I think the D3100 comes with phase detection AF. Contrast detect AF only in live view and in video mode.

Yes, I am referring to Video, as that is what the TS is referring to as well. The A33/A55 use phase detect in both video and photo.

Yes, I am referring to Video, as that is what the TS is referring to as well. The A33/A55 use phase detect in both video and photo.

Oh ok.. my bad.

But thing is, in video, most people will go for MF anyways... unless can have full time MF access, hit AF and turn focus ring at the same time..

Oh ok.. my bad.

But thing is, in video, most people will go for MF anyways... unless can have full time MF access, hit AF and turn focus ring at the same time..

In video, most people went for MF because they had no choice. If they had fast AF it would be a different story. ;)

And yes, you can override the AF on the A33/55 and go MF.

In video, most people went for MF because they had no choice. If they had fast AF it would be a different story. ;)

And yes, you can override the AF on the A33/55 and go MF.

Bro, I mean even pro level cameras, most videographers go full MF...

I'm not a videographer! :sweat:
although i could probably learn but photography is still the main point here.
the video part is mainly for my wife to use so it has to be simple enough. :bsmilie:

anybody could help me with the the following qns?
1) should i get a dry cabinet or just a dry box would do?
2) as for the weather, rain and dust should i get a UV filter or lens hood or both??

Bro, I mean even pro level cameras, most videographers go full MF...

Ah, well yes, if you step up to pro-level video cameras that are used in TV and movie production, that's a different story. But we're talking about DSLRs here. :)

anybody could help me with the the following qns?
1) should i get a dry cabinet or just a dry box would do?
2) as for the weather, rain and dust should i get a UV filter or lens hood or both??

1. Dry cabinet is more reliable and controllable.
2. They have different purposes. A Lens hood helps prevent flare from out-of-frame lightsources, but can also protect from knocks. A UV filter protects the front element from scratches. I would suggest both for a daily walkabout lens, but when I shoot portraits I only use the hood because I don't want any extra glass in front of my lens.

dun mind...

think maybe can consider 1000D also??
i used a 1000D think it pretty much serve me okay as a beginner in photography

Some people think the cheapest thing is poor, but imho 1000D is sufficient for a beginner like me.

Some people think the cheapest thing is poor, but imho 1000D is sufficient for a beginner like me.

With no real AF in video, his wife may struggle with a 1000D.

Ah, well yes, if you step up to pro-level video cameras that are used in TV and movie production, that's a different story. But we're talking about DSLRs here. :)

I mean... it makes more sense to use MF when doing video... DSLR or pro level cams... etc..

That is why most shoulder rig for DSLR video all comes with a big ole focus adjuster for MF.

I mean... it makes more sense to use MF when doing video... DSLR or pro level cams... etc..

That is why most shoulder rig for DSLR video all comes with a big ole focus adjuster for MF.

Why would it make more sense? and I'm sure the manufacturer of the shoulder rig is happy for the extra $$$ he earns because of the poor video AF on the Nikon and Canon bodies. But if DSLR cameras in video always had good AF, do you think he'd have bothered with so many MF assists?

It's a cause and effect thing... On one hand, you can say MF is good and that's proven by the focus adjusters on the shoulder rigs, but on the other hand you can say they *need* those adjusters because the AF in video on early DSLRs is next to useless so they need all the help they can get. But if the AF was good, would people even really use MF so much? I don't think so.

some people ask too much from a dslr camera.. they are getting lazy, want all is automatic...
include the ts, want the solution of his problem through a single thread..

Why would it make more sense? and I'm sure the manufacturer of the shoulder rig is happy for the extra $$$ he earns because of the poor video AF on the Nikon and Canon bodies. But if DSLR cameras in video always had good AF, do you think he'd have bothered with so many MF assists?

It's a cause and effect thing... On one hand, you can say MF is good and that's proven by the focus adjusters on the shoulder rigs, but on the other hand you can say they *need* those adjusters because the AF in video on early DSLRs is next to useless so they need all the help they can get. But if the AF was good, would people even really use MF so much? I don't think so.

I'm just saying it from a videographer's perspective. Most of them do MF. You can ask around if you don't believe me.

You can't be changing your framing when filming just to AF on that one spot, especially when your intended point of focus is off center (away from your focus point in the frame).

bro, have you done any serious video work before?

Last edited:
Well we should not go out of topic here since TS has narrowed down his choices, let him try out for himself the A55 and D3100 once it reached our shores.

TS,
Get a DSLR and cater the budget for a cheap PnS that does video. Since the video is for your wife's needs, its the most simple and straight forward option. You will have a secondary camera as backup and for her to take the things she wants as well. You will then free yourself to take the photos you want.

A PnS that does video is very cheap. $299 or even lower can get you one. Don't forget that you started off with low requirements, so don't expect too much from a $299 camera (which in fact offers a lot already nowadays) :)

Gd luck.

pinholecam:
Thank bro for the advise i did thought of that before starting this thread, but $400 of my current budget is partially funded by my wife's work benefits.
As she wanted something that could do video and i wanted something to do photography.
So if we were able to find a camera that does both at both our budget wouldnt that be great?
Since with the higher budget, we could probably get a better camera too?
(She did comment that our current lumix tz5 video is a bit blury and white washed)

I would believe she would use some of the photography functions too.
For reference material and such, and functions like marco, etc.
Anyway most of the time she will be looking for me to do those for her anyway. :lovegrin:
(oh yes, editing as well. :sweat:)

But yes, I do really thank the bros here for being so helpful and friendly.
Also for helping me filter down the list to 2 model which i will definately check them out before purchase.
So far I like the video mode by sony's slt but I really like the user friendliness of nikon's menus.
also i believe sony's slt does have manual focus mode for video, have to check the manual for instructions i think.
So will make a decision when I have tried more with them.

Anybody tried the a55 yet since it has arrived in singapore? Location?
Also any news on D3100 arrival?

Last edited:
Anybody tried the a55 yet since it has arrived in singapore? Location?
Also any news on D3100 arrival?

All the Sonystyles and the usual shops.

You can't be changing your framing when filming just to AF on that one spot, especially when your intended point of focus is off center (away from your focus point in the frame).

bro, have you done any serious video work before?

Using the A33, yes, i've shot quite a bit of video. Off-center focus is easy, just pick an AF spot.