What do you think about heavy lenses vs light lenses w/ IS

gibss

Nov 17, 2009
Hey guys, I was just toying around with my 80-200 and I actually realize that the weight of it actually helps me stabilize shots.

So what's your take? Do you prefer heavy lenses or light lenses with IS? I certainly prefer the heavy and solid feel of the better lenses :D

Regards,
gibss

It is up to own prefrence, both lenses is good at certain things.

Not really up to me to choose.... :think:

I would want a light weight EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS..... not Tammy 17-50mm.... but not as if Canon is making one just for me. :bsmilie:

Whatever counter-balances the weight of the camera body well...

LOL I'm asking for your opinion on which do YOU prefer, not me :)

Regards,
gibss.

well, why do you want to know? its not gonna help you to hold your lens better know which one others prefer.

hi gibss,

I usually prefer heavier lens because like what others says, counter balance with your body as well as countering your natural handshake. I'm using a 1 series body for canon, so if I have a lighter lens, I will have to hold my camera body to shoot and only fingers to zoom, focus if its a lighter lens. A heavier lens allows me to have 1 hand on the body and the other on the lens. So it kind of helps in the overall holding feel.

So in those scenarios, depending on what brand you are using, an IS or VR on the body for the lighter lens should give you better results. Eg. sony. But if you have a heavier lens on a lighter body and you need to hold the lens, then it make more sense to have the IS, VR on the lens.

At the end of the day, usually the longer or/and heavier lens will have IS or VR, which is why Nikon latest 16-35 VR lens brings about a lot of discussions in the Nikon forums asking is there a need for VR in a wide angle zoom.

If you realised, the camera companies usually makes the overall balancing and feels optimized for the bigger bodies and top of the line lenses. Like 1D + L lenses. And the latest IS, VR technology are usually on these lenses as well.

Hope that helps;)

Last edited:
I love heavier lenses too. but not to hold them for long. I suppose the really light weight telephoto lenses will give abit more shake like a mirror lens for instance ..

ryan

well, why do you want to know? its not gonna help you to hold your lens better know which one others prefer.
sigh, I keep getting misunderstood. I am not looking for help on how to hold heavy lenses properly. I just want to see what are others' preferences; something just like a leisurely exchange of ideas :)

Regards,
gibss

I'd like them to look BIG and heavy, but be actually very light (as a feather ) :angel:

I prefer IS with any lens I use, heavy or not.

dont really care. Importantly is the optics are good.

I like it to be light cos I will need to carry it ard.