What Digital Camera E-M1 review: 92 %

What Digital Camera has been rather enthusiastic about the E-M1, as it was with the E-1, giving it just one percentage point less.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/eq...ameras/129680/1/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review.html

thanks for sharing the link. Happily reading the review now.

and i'm sure the guy who just sold me his EM5 will be more than happy to see a 92% as he had preordered the EM1. :)

'Put simply, the E-M1 is not just one of the best system cameras around at the moment, but one of the best cameras full stop' heh.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing the link. Happily reading the review now.

and i'm sure the guy who just sold me his EM5 will be more than happy to see a 92% as he had preordered the EM1. :)

'Put simply, the E-M1 is not just one of the best system cameras around at the moment, but one of the best cameras full stop' heh.

These are the people I trust most to give an honest opinion. The fact that they've just upset loads of Canikon users with that final statement says a lot. :bsmilie:

I like Olympus too. But I do not agree that the article is not biased.

In commercial businesses, money $$$$$$$ talks.
He who pays the piper calls the tune.
That explains why one US TV news channel is pro-Democrat and the other US so-called "news" channel (actually they are entertainment) is pro-Republican.

Especially for magazines, their life blood is.....revenue from advertisements placed by clients.
So if the magazine knows how to kow tow and write the article in a certain slavish way; then they will be rewarded with many advertisements placed by the camera manufacturer.

A good smell-test is an over-the-top all-out lavish praise on the camera tested. You can smell the stink in some articles.

Last edited:

That explains why one US TV news channel is pro-Democrat and the other US so-called "news" channel (actually they are entertainment) is pro-Republican.

Especially for magazines, their life blood is.....revenue from advertisements placed by clients.
So if the magazine knows how to kow tow and write the article in a certain slavish way; then they will be rewarded with many advertisements placed by the camera manufacturer.

A good smell-test is an over-the-top all-out lavish praise on the camera tested. You can smell the stink in some articles.

Who, other than you, said anything about the article and bias? No one else. I said that I trust them most to give an honest option.

Come on guys , I'm sure from your postings u know your cameras and will not be gullible enough to take any review at full face value.

Reviews are great as they give us an idea of what to expect but end of the day , we trust ourselves more when we touch and use the camera right ?

That said ; I'm sure we all agree EM-1 is a great camera , in fact the best in MFT now as it has married FT and MFT.

Last edited:
Come on guys , I'm sure from your postings u know your cameras and will not be gullible enough to take any review at full face value.

Reviews are great as they give us an idea of what to expect but end of the day , we trust ourselves more when we touch and use the camera right ?

That said ; I'm sure we all agree EM-1 is a great camera , in fact the best in MFT now as it has married FT and MFT.

heh : ) Not wanting to cause a war here, but i have a slight disagreement with the statement that its the best MFT Cam.. Best Stills MFT, no doubt, but not the best Hybrid MFT.. that to me
is still the GH3/GX7.. The EM1 video is really not there... until they put in 24p/25p and 60p native.. esp with at least 28mb/s (AVCHD 2.0 spec).

*loads his rifles* ;) haha , joking k

Have to agree this is unsure yet as Pana's GH series have seemed to lead coming to video all this while too.

Let's wait for the EM-1 to arrive (very soon heh) and then we can have the video experts do a comparison. Will be good to know abt this too as I really really seldom shoot videos

*loads his rifles* ;) haha , joking k

Have to agree this is unsure yet as Pana's GH series have seemed to lead coming to video all this while too.

Let's wait for the EM-1 to arrive (very soon heh) and then we can have the video experts do a comparison. Will be good to know abt this too as I really really seldom shoot videos

Yep.. if Olympus would put some effort at putting in an efficient video codec with more bitrate support etc.. i'll jump to olympus. The 5 axis IBIS is really good for video. Just that with the EM5 I tried, in low light/high iso, the video codec really breaks down and you get all kinds of artifacts and muddiness all over. Not usable.

For me, the GX7 is just fine. Although I may get it eventually, the EM1 is just too big, ugly and has too many buttons. Worse, I'll look like a wedding photographer with a SLR. Haha. I started taking pictures decades ago with an Olympus rangefinder and the GX7 looks just like one. If the EP6 (I expect Olympus is now rushing this out) has a built in EVF, that would be perfect as I still prefer the Olympus menu system and controls.

For me, the GX7 is just fine. Although I may get it eventually, the EM1 is just too big, ugly and has too many buttons. Worse, I'll look like a wedding photographer with a SLR. Haha. I started taking pictures decades ago with an Olympus rangefinder and the GX7 looks just like one. If the EP6 (I expect Olympus is now rushing this out) has a built in EVF, that would be perfect as I still prefer the Olympus menu system and controls.

Lol. I've been looking at the image samples and reviews all over the net on the gx7. I'm getting itchy...

I tends to agree. We just need to look at Samsung and you will all see how much effort and money they put in to put down their opponents and get good reviews.

In fact the article seems to have no negative comments but mainly sucker comments :) It did not even comment about the video part. So much for a review. This is more like an essay.

In fact to put it blantly, every review is bias. A photographer without its preference or personality is just not a photographer. When the website has a vested interest, the review is good for bedtime reading.

I tends to agree. We just need to look at Samsung and you will all see how much effort and money they put in to put down their opponents and get good reviews.

In fact to put it blantly, every review is bias. A photographer without its preference or personality is just not a photographer. When the website has a vested interest, the review is good for bedtime reading.

Agree. Look at the advertisement done by Nokia for its 1020. National Geo magazine with Nat Geo photographer gushing over it that he doesn't even miss his DSLR anymore. ;)

Reviews r a guide, as users ; it is more important for us to know our gear and use them (strengths or weaknesses) to bring out e best. I wouldn't see much of a user who bases all his views on a review , especially when he/she doesn't have the gear to test.