What camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethebiker

Nov 14, 2007
Hi guys: I just joined this site because I need some advice on buying a camera. I have some models that I want to put on a website (not them sort of models, silly) Models I have sculpted. I want to take some photos in 'soft' tone. My last camera (before it bit the dust) took some really harsh photos that i couldn't use. I also want to turn the photos into 'gifs' that can slowly turn on the website, giving a 360 view / perspective of model/sculpts. Price around 500 bucks if possible - will consider used if in tip top condition.

So, in short, digital that can 'soft tone' photos and create moving gif for around 500 bucks;).

Much appreciated - keep on rockin'

Mike

Did u use flash? Cause if u use a direct flash on the sculptures it would most probably be harshed in terms of lighting.

Hi guys: I just joined this site because I need some advice on buying a camera. I have some models that I want to put on a website (not them sort of models, silly) Models I have sculpted. I want to take some photos in 'soft' tone. My last camera (before it bit the dust) took some really harsh photos that i couldn't use. I also want to turn the photos into 'gifs' that can slowly turn on the website, giving a 360 view / perspective of model/sculpts. Price around 500 bucks if possible - will consider used if in tip top condition.

So, in short, digital that can 'soft tone' photos and create moving gif for around 500 bucks;).

Much appreciated - keep on rockin'

Mike
What camera are you using?

I think you need to play with the lighting. Try using a tripod, so that you can use lower shutter speed and need not use the on-board flash.

BC

Mate.. any camera, yes even P&S will be able to do what you wanted. You just have to make sure the lighting is done correctly to avoid shadows.

For creating 360 deg pano, you can checkout this fellow CS instructions: http://360.itcow.com or you can google it.

thanks guys - yeah - I got some terrible results with just on board flash so I used a couple of desk lamps with soft - daylight bulbs - was better but still too harsh - so, it's all down to lighting and not camera type? can't remember what the last one was, some common or garden Japan snapper - I was just hoping there was something out there that would do the job for me.
My camera expertise is limited to the instructions on the box.
thanks for the IT COW link - I'll be checking it out later

Thank you all for your remarks

Best wishes - Mike

Maybe u could try using translucent boards or cloth to soften the light? Remember this rule: The larger the source of light, the softer the light(provided ur comparing on same material). So therfore by using a "softbox" or such, u are indirectly making the light source larger and thus can achieve softer light.

You can get the cheapest Point-and-shoot. Make sure you have a tripod... you can get a "good enough" one for SGD 20-30. For the Animated GIF, NO CAMERA will do that for you, but there are dozens of programs that will do this for you so long as you have images to create them.

Other than that, it's ALL in the lighting. Even if you use the built-in flash and soften it with tissue paper or the cheap plastic "take-away" bowls, you'll already get a softer lighting effect.

thanx Chanxj &f Rashkae for the lighting tip - will try it out - will also follow up on the gif software tips and have a look around for a camera this weekend or next
cheers

PS: I didn't mean pano 360 - but I followed it up and it looks like some great shots

: ) Mike

went out at the weekend and bought a camera from the Post Office in Bukit Batok, of all places. For only $250 I got a Richoh RR750. It has 7 meg pix, zoom lens x 4 and all the features you'd expect from one costing 500 +++. It also has a huge 2gb card, lots of extras and a 3 year warranty!
Will take me a while to get used to all the features/choices but it's fairly simple in its layout. I think I got a lot of bang for my buck.
Have been practicing with lighting (no flash) Have been getting quite nice, warm results from evening shots with overhead houselight and a desk lamp set in front covered by an opaque globe. Am trying now with different background colours.
Still looking for an animated gif that works for me (turns the object in a full circle from multiple shots) (not pano 360)

Best wishes

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.