What are your expectations from the future Z mirrorless?

What are your expectations ? You can choose more than one.

• 1. Dual memory card slot (1x XQD and 1x SD UHS-II)

• 2. Eye Auto Focus

• 3. Increase max buffer capacity for burst shoot with RAW files

• 4. AF Pad while using EVF

• 6. Improve AF in low light (-6 EV)

• 7. Vari-angle LCD (selfie)

• 8. Increase number of AF points to 5655

• 9. Provide battery grip with control wheels and shutter release

• 10. Size and weight are not necessary. I want EVERYTHING even if it makes the Z cameras look bulky

• 5. The electronic shutter can go up to 1/32000s

Results are only viewable after voting.

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Alternatively, what do you expect for the future Z?

I believe Nikon Z6 can be Nikon secret weapon after the lesson learnt from the Z7 case.

AF Pad while using EVF means that you can change the Auto Focus point location by swiping the screen method, while you are looking to the Electronic View Finder. However, Z7 only use Joystick instead of swiping the screen method.

The Z6 hardware specs are known already.
The only improvements that can be made are features via software/firmware so perhaps items 2, 3 and 4 on your list.

Item 2 - eye AF is a small subset of scene recognition and Nikon cameras already have face recognition. What's changed is that the sensor used for scene recognition has changed from the metering sensor to the imaging sensor resulting in far more spatial resolution for this task. How much the algorithms take into account the eye remains to be seen but it almost certainly can be improved via firmware as long as the processor (presumably EXPEED 6) is up to the task of handling all that extra data.
Item 3 - CFexpress firmware update is coming so even if buffer doesn't officially increase, clearance due to increased write speed should improve.
Item 4 - if enough ppl ask for it, I'm sure it can be implemented. The hardware required for it is already present but from my personal POV, the joystick works much better.

Item 6 and 8 - significantly increasing the number of AF points in the current masking implementation of OSPDAF for the Sony sensors may result in too many unwanted IQ artefacts. The reason Canon can do so is with their dual pixel tech where there're two pixel under every microlens so in essence, every single one of the 30 million pixel-pairs can be used for AF if they wanted to. So the system is limited by processing of that data. Nikon would need to move to a similar sensor tech but note they do have a quad-pixel AF patent. Increasing the surface area used for PDAF can also help with detection sensitivity but I believe Canon's -6EV is rated with f/1.2 lenses whereas Nikon's -4EV is rated for f/2 lenses so they are probably not as far apart as the specs suggests.

Item 9 - they definitely should do a battery grip with controls, rather than just a booster. Even better, add a second memory slot on it but I doubt the connection have the adequate I/O interface for this.

Oh well... wait for Z8 and Z9 lor...

The Z6 hardware specs are known already.

See the new Panasonic full frame. Panasonic will only show a prototype of their full frame announcement this 25 September 2018 without finalised specs. The actual camera will go to the market in March 2019.

Nikon still can change the Z6 specs if they want to. Nikon should learn from Z7 as a case study, evaluate the market demand, and innovate accordingly. No point for rushing the Z6 sale if it is merely a downgraded version of Z7.

Oops, I accidentally delete item no 5 from the list.

Item 5. The electronic shutter can go up to 1/32000s
(similar to A9)

See the new Panasonic full frame. Panasonic will only show a prototype of their full frame announcement this 25 September 2018 without finalised specs. The actual camera will go to the market in March 2019.

Nikon still can change the Z6 specs if they want to. Nikon should learn from Z7 as a case study, evaluate the market demand, and innovate accordingly. No point for rushing the Z6 sale if it is merely a downgraded version of Z7.
Panasonic are rumoured to have a development announcement for Photokina. It’s only a rumour currently and if they do announce something, development announcements tend to omit a lot of detail.

Z6 is not in development. It is released with full specs and shipment slated for November 2018 which means hardware are locked down and ready for production, if not already in production. Hardware specs won’t change, certainly not sensor related since a sensors take months to manufacture which means the first batch of Z6 sensor are already manufactured or nearing completion and awaiting assembly if they are to make their November deadline.

Panasonic are rumoured to have a development announcement for Photokina. It’s only a rumour currently and if they do announce something, development announcements tend to omit a lot of detail.

Z6 is not in development. It is released with full specs and shipment slated for November 2018 which means hardware are locked down and ready for production, if not already in production. Hardware specs won’t change, certainly not sensor related since a sensors take months to manufacture which means the first batch of Z6 sensor are already manufactured or nearing completion and awaiting assembly if they are to make their November deadline.

Oh boy, nothing much can be changed by firmware upgrade only.
Why the rush to lock down the hardware of Z6 ...
Can the factory keep up with the production of D850, Z7, plus Z6 ?

Oh boy, nothing much can be changed by firmware upgrade only.
Why the rush to lock down the hardware of Z6 ...
Can the factory keep up with the production of D850, Z7, plus Z6 ?
D850 is manufactured in Thailand.
Z7 and Z6 are made in the Sendai plant I believe.
I don’t think it’s a case of rushing to lock down hardware. It’s just not realistic to expect hardware changes post release announcement and 2 months out from shipping.
We’re not talking a cosmetic piece of hardware. Any changes will require a redesign, prototyping and testing and finally new software to incorporate the feature.
When it comes to sensors, they take years to develop and months to manufacture. Even off the shelf Sony Semi catalogue sensors are usually customised with at least Nikon’s own toppings eg. Microlens and CFA.
With Sony supposedly nearing capacity for their sensor manufacturing, there’s the logistics of buying fab time for the committed volume of a particular sensor. Their aren’t just various sensors lying around in production volume to be swapped in and out.

As Uncle Fai wrote, many of the changes that you list are probably already slated for future Z8/Z9 models. But likely not in reaction to Z7 reception but by design. 2019 models, if they exist like many of us think there will be, will be well in development already.

You are right. It shall refer to the future Z mirrorless instead. ;)