Wedding shoot for friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

manx

Jan 7, 2005
SG & HK
manx.dnip.net
What to wear as the 2nd photographer ?

She hired the professional one, thus I will be following the groom side. And after they get together, I will be only the secondary photographer.

So...

what should I wear as a friend and photographer?

are flash ok ? (in church / dinner ?)

18-70mm D70 kit lens + 50mm f1.8 enough? 70-300 ?

Thx.

wear long sleeves, pants, coat and a bow tie :thumbsup:

You should know what to wear. Are you asking the right question i.e. what to wear or what to bring?:dunno:

ARh, dun be like my friend wear tshirt and jeans to help his friend out with the wedding. He military style wedding some more so many of us in uniform then he wear until like that. Damn lak sek...

er..

for me, i wear a RED polo-T with jeans in the morning part.. yea.. very HOT..

long Sleeve and pants during the dinner..

use D70s with kit lens and SB-800..

manx said:

She hired the professional one, thus I will be following the groom side. And after they get together, I will be only the secondary photographer.

So...

Thx.
having a flash is always good especially during dinner. at least a sb600 or even better a sb800 :thumbsup:

Wear what is expected of any wedding guest. In S'pore, smart casual (pants/collared shirt) is recommended. And proper shoes and socks please!

Kit-wise, body, flash and kit lens is enough. Don't be too concerned with your gear, since you're a secondary photographer. You have to know when is a good time to change lenses, and that could be quite a hassle. Just stick to what you have, concentrate on getting the angle, and getting the shot.

Shooting weddings shouldn't be as troublesome and intimidating as some would have you believe.

synapseman said:
Wear what is expected of any wedding guest. In S'pore, smart casual (pants/collared shirt) is recommended. And proper shoes and socks please!

Kit-wise, body, flash and kit lens is enough. Don't be too concerned with your gear, since you're a secondary photographer. You have to know when is a good time to change lenses, and that could be quite a hassle. Just stick to what you have, concentrate on getting the angle, and getting the shot.

Shooting weddings shouldn't be as troublesome and intimidating as some would have you believe.

Make sure the socks no lobang if you need to take off shoe....!!!

Just your camera + kit lens + flash will do imo.

manx said:

So...

Thx.
Nothing too sloppy. And remember to LOOK BEHIND and get ya ass and ya sexy muscular back away from angle of view of the paid photographer.

When in doubt, stay BEHIND the paid photographer, KNOW the flow of the wedding or alternatively, save urself from the stress by not shooting at all.

jsbn said:
Nothing too sloppy. And remember to LOOK BEHIND and get ya ass and ya sexy muscular back away from angle of view of the paid photographer.

When in doubt, stay BEHIND the paid photographer, KNOW the flow of the wedding or alternatively, save urself from the stress by not shooting at all.

fully agree, dont get into the way of the main photog. remember, he is being paid and hence is expected to deliver without fail.

as to your outfit, wear as you will as if you are going for wedding dinner will do.

itchy said:
ARh, dun be like my friend wear tshirt and jeans to help his friend out with the wedding. He military style wedding some more so many of us in uniform then he wear until like that. Damn lak sek...
What's wrong with t-shirt and jeans?

synapseman said:

A guest is a guest, a photographer is a photographer, how can a guest be a photographer and how can a photographer be a guest?

Draw the line.

He can't double as both.

He can only choose to dress as one type of participant.

I was a second photog before... as the others mentioned, just keep out of the way and shoot as a photo-journalistic style. It's much better as you will not duplicate the main photog's pics and you may get some nice and interesting shots along the way too.

The worse thing I feel a couple getting married is to ask their friend to shoot at their wedding. I had been asked many times, and I had declined every time, no hard feelings at all. However, in Singapore, it seems once asked, my complied.

Being a photographer at a wedding is no joke. As espn said, you are either a photographer or a guest, cannot be both. Then being a photographer, you can no longer enjoy the reception, the dinner and the festivities with your friends. What a way to treat a friend!!!

Deadpoet said:
The worse thing I feel a couple getting married is to ask their friend to shoot at their wedding. I had been asked many times, and I had declined every time, no hard feelings at all. However, in Singapore, it seems once asked, my complied.

Being a photographer at a wedding is no joke. As espn said, you are either a photographer or a guest, cannot be both. Then being a photographer, you can no longer enjoy the reception, the dinner and the festivities with your friends. What a way to treat a friend!!!
Well, it depends. Some ppl are pretty much outspoken and will not hesitate to say 'No' (pretty much family culture and upbringing dependant). To some, it may seem the person is extremely pompous and aggressive.

However, some ppl are more reserved and feel that once a person asks, they feel that they ought to see it thru to the end. More so if the person is related in a relationship with the requesting party. To some, it may seem as a pretty 'dumb' thing.

Ultimately, the skill of polite rejection is pretty much a lost art here. Coupled with the fact that some ppl juz can't resist firing off a spike or 2 at the rejecting party with sacarstic remarks like, "My wedding's too low class for u to cover, eh?" or "Your skill's too good to cover my wedding ah?"

Damned if u do, damned if u don't. Either way, u're caught in a no-go situation.

jsbn said:
Well, it depends. Some ppl are pretty much outspoken and will not hesitate to say 'No' (pretty much family culture and upbringing dependant). To some, it may seem the person is extremely pompous and aggressive.

However, some ppl are more reserved and feel that once a person asks, they feel that they ought to see it thru to the end. More so if the person is related in a relationship with the requesting party. To some, it may seem as a pretty 'dumb' thing.

Ultimately, the skill of polite rejection is pretty much a lost art here. Coupled with the fact that some ppl juz can't resist firing off a spike or 2 at the rejecting party with sacarstic remarks like, "My wedding's too low class for u to cover, eh?" or "Your skill's too good to cover my wedding ah?"

Damned if u do, damned if u don't. Either way, u're caught in a no-go situation.

was asked recently over dinner, my gf's fren... do AD as 2nd photographer, so i asked for the name of the photographer, think he got from another forum, quite ok price for pros... not those cheapskate price hor... so i told them lah, i scared i kena kick by the official 1... hahaha... cos i am famous u know... :bsmilie:

_espn_ said:
A guest is a guest, a photographer is a photographer, how can a guest be a photographer and how can a photographer be a guest?

Draw the line.

He can't double as both.

He can only choose to dress as one type of participant.

OK. No need to be so caustic. I was just giving opinion.

I meant, to dress as is deemed appropriate for the occasion. If all the guests wear tux and gown, might not be nice to wear denims. Or at some beach wedding, no need to wear pants and leather shoes.

Some people may disagree, though. There are high-profile pros who wear their black polo-Ts no matter how glam the occasion. I guess, the most important thing is how you carry yourself, and dressing up is merely part of the equation.

jsbn said:

I kena exactly the same thing from some relos. They know I do this p/t and I defffffinitely don't do this kinda thing for free. I shoot for other people, they like to suan me like, "you're good enough, meh?" Now, their daughter getting married, already hired a pro and they tell me, "if you want to shoot, you can."

First time, I act blur, pretend don't understand. But second time, when they "invite" me again to shoot, I just smiled and said, "Sorry, my camera spoiled already." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.