Wedding Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi carlo...imho i think you should get the 12-24 with a prime but definitely not the 85 f/1.4 as it can be very narrow and i dont think in weddings you have much time to move back as you will lose the chance to capture the "decisive moment".

Therefore,i would recommend a 35 f/1.8 ( DX ) or the 50 f/1.8(full frame)

just my $0:02 :D

It would be good to have a spare cam just in case. :dunno:

I think it's neccesary to have 2 bodies. Saves time on changing lens and of course,in the worst case scenario when one body fails.

@ZerocoolAstra - ya i understand but the venue itself is at Philippines But i still in Singapore... that the reason why i still looking for the setup in case when i going back to Philippines...

@earthling82 - thanks for some tips.. i get what you mean.. thanks alot.

@surrephoto - of course i will not doing change lens because i don't want to miss out something that i want to shoot...

so....

1) You're not familiar with the venue
2) You're not familiar with being main photographer for wedding (???)

and you think that asking a majority-Singaporean photography forum will help you how?

just curious... (being kaypoh)
last week you posted WTS thread for Nikon boxes and stuff, saying you lost your Nikon gear and needed cash urgently... so now you have a camera and all those lenses already?

I am using 18-105mm kit lens almost all the time during the actual day shot.. able to take group shot and zoom from far to take people interacting with each other without disturbing them. Ha ha..
It is best to have 2 bodies without changing lens. Seldom get to use my 50 1.4. :sweatsm:

I am using 18-105mm kit lens almost all the time during the actual day shot.. able to take group shot and zoom from far to take people interacting with each other without disturbing them. Ha ha..
It is best to have 2 bodies without changing lens. Seldom get to use my 50 1.4. :sweatsm:

ya, sure you are right, i'm thinking for that.

get a 2nd bodies for 50mm f1.4 = 75mm it's very well to shot the make up times.

for the 1st bodies is just used the zoom lens.

maybe i will consider the d60 for my 2nd bodies as well. :angel:

@ZerocoolAstra - to be honest with you.. in BnS section. yes . i lost my Photography Gears since last august 2009 but now.. i was thinking to buy new Cam and lens again.. that the problem that i wanted to know about LENS. not a Camera.. my important was a lens that all.. hope you understand this but iam not arguing with you. :) *peace hand* and i am familiar with main photographer but the only things that i not familiar with venue. but the only i don't familiar wedding. the only thing that i familiar was PreNuptial Wedding, :)

@Shadowpartner - thanks for the tips.. :)

@rain5533 - yeah i agree with this but since i lost my photography gears, i will buy 1 body cam and 16-85mm VR , SB-900 and 50mm 1.4and Rental Camera for D300s and Sb 900... which mean will use D300s , 50mm 1.4 and SB900. :)

Use the 14-24mm 2.8 on a full frame body or the 17-55mm 2.8 on a crop for group shots.

Put a 50mm/85mm 1.4 on a crop/FF body and that's probably it.

Unless you like to shoot >100mm....

ya, sure you are right, i'm thinking for that.

get a 2nd bodies for 50mm f1.4 = 75mm it's very well to shot the make up times.

for the 1st bodies is just used the zoom lens.

maybe i will consider the d60 for my 2nd bodies as well. :angel:

I think a Micro 60/2.8 might be more versatile for this purpose. The 50/1.4 doesn't seem to be able to focus closely enough.

@ZerocoolAstra - to be honest with you.. in BnS section. yes . i lost my Photography Gears since last august 2009 but now.. i was thinking to buy new Cam and lens again.. that the problem that i wanted to know about LENS. not a Camera.. my important was a lens that all.. hope you understand this but iam not arguing with you. :) *peace hand* and i am familiar with main photographer but the only things that i not familiar with venue. but the only i don't familiar wedding. the only thing that i familiar was PreNuptial Wedding, :)

Oooops. Sorry for being too kaypoh. Apologies.
Well, my opinion is that if you have the technical competence in photography (and I think you're experienced enough to be), then knowing what lens to use for what situation will come naturally.
So then the question is what will the situation be? And that... only you can answer, since you would have the details about the wedding and the itinerary for the day.
You gotta have a plan for the sequence of events for the day. If you need 2 different kinds of lenses at the same time, then it looks like carrying 2 bodies is the only way.

cheers!

16-85 sounds good.

i would bring along another marco like the tamron 90 for objects close-up when i hv the time

The wedding photographer I knew was using D300, an ultra wide angle zoom, a standard zoom, sb800 throughout the event. He coupled the flash with another slave flash on a portable stand about 1m tall while moving about with the bride and groom in an open air wedding dinner at night. Hope that helps

No matter what equipment you use, the bottom line is, you need to be comfortable with it.

I have seen AD photographers using 105DC to cover a church wedding too. Personally I'd prefer to use 85mm for longer-distance snap shots.

you can also have two bodies, one with the 16-85/18-70/17-55, and the other with a more tele lens, maybe an 85. that way you can easily switch between the lenses depending on what kinds of pics that you want to shoot, e.g. groups, environment, or faces/candids, closeups

if it's outdoors, you can also consider a 80-200 or 70-200 for more reach with your candid shots. that will give you nicer bokeh too

@Shadowpartner - thanks for the tips.. :)

@rain5533 - yeah i agree with this but since i lost my photography gears, i will buy 1 body cam and 16-85mm VR , SB-900 and 50mm 1.4and Rental Camera for D300s and Sb 900... which mean will use D300s , 50mm 1.4 and SB900. :)

16-85mm on one D300s with SB900 and 50mm 1.4 on another D300s with SB900. Good choice. These 2 lenses complements each other well. 16-85mm is very sharp and you have the help of its effective VR and fast auto-focus, so that you hardly get any blurred shots. The 50mm f1.4 is for the occasional abstract portrait shot of the grandma right? Very important to keep grandma happy. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
for me , don't think get both D300s or D300 is good, cause you don't have enought time to carry around the corner to shooting photos...

maybe u have assistance to help u get your 2nd bodies at behind.. cause the weight is too heavy for you, you can't hander it at all..

so i just prefer you get , D300/s with SB-900/800 and 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR for normal shoots.

another 2nd bodies is D60/D3000/5000/D90 is very light weight just shoot for portraits with the distance you can shoots.

so for 2nd bodies can attached the Lens such as prime AFS 35 DX/AFS 50 f1.4 for close up and low light lens.

for macro lens can be more close up such as wedding ring.. or flower. better don't to shoot on ppl face, after you will spend much time to retouch, hehe
maybe you try to attached soft filter as well

so you don't worry after go back home, your hand just shaking and feel muscle pain... haha

Last edited:
i suggest attending one or 2 more weddings (as a backup) before your "promotion".. you r one brave guy..

don't forget.. bring enuf CF for backup.. my "si fu" recommend afew 4 or 8GB so you'll have backup.. one big storage will have problem once your card "kaput".. seriously jpg will do.. i don't think the wedding couple really mind.. (since they have confidence with you.. *pulling your leg) remember they trusted their big day in your hands..

i have so far gone with 17-55mm with my D300s and may i introduce the nissin 866 (cheaper option). i also have a backup battery pack for my flash for quicker recharging, which i eventually find it quite redundent.. and batteries!! for your cam, your flash.. (i have 14 AA now.. wondering how to utilise them later)

i'd say even a 18-105mm will be good for the whole day.. in broad day light you can use the whole range.. indoors try to limit to 55mm so you can throw the flash light up (still trying to master this).. anything beyond 55mm is like PNS... because you need to literally point the flash right at the subject.. and blast!!

which leads to the next one.. what are you gonna do with so much equipment after the wedding?? *i'll be glad to consider your SB900 ;)

i'm waiting for my gary fong collapsible to arrive to try my hand on a few more before the actually one in dec 09.. i really like the diffuser effect..

remember.. advise is advise.. need practice.. and practise and practise.. share your experience after.. and good luck..

Last edited:
i suggest attending one or 2 more weddings (as a backup) before your "promotion".. you r one brave guy..

don't forget.. bring enuf CF for backup.. my "si fu" recommend afew 4 or 8GB so you'll have backup.. one big storage will have problem once your card "kaput".. seriously jpg will do.. i don't think the wedding couple really mind.. (since they have confidence with you.. *pulling your leg) remember they trusted their big day in your hands..

i have so far gone with 17-55mm with my D300s and may i introduce the nissin 866 (cheaper option). i also have a backup battery pack for my flash for quicker recharging, which i eventually find it quite redundent.. and batteries!! for your cam, your flash.. (i have 14 AA now.. wondering how to utilise them later)

i'd say even a 18-105mm will be good for the whole day.. in broad day light you can use the whole range.. indoors try to limit to 55mm so you can throw the flash light up (still trying to master this).. anything beyond 55mm is like PNS... because you need to literally point the flash right at the subject.. and blast!!

which leads to the next one.. what are you gonna do with so much equipment after the wedding?? *i'll be glad to consider your SB900 ;)

i'm waiting for my gary fong collapsible to arrive to try my hand on a few more before the actually one in dec 09.. i really like the diffuser effect..

remember.. advise is advise.. need practice.. and practise and practise.. share your experience after.. and good luck..

Then you'd better be sure of your white balance

To each their own, have their unique shooting style, i personally felt.

Indiviual preference varies, What matter most that you must be comfortable and confident with your setup and not to screw up big time on tt impt day of your client. :)

Still picking up the ropes, relish the opportunity to practice more ( as back up photographer).

My choice of gear will be :-

1. D700 + grip + 24-70mm f2.8 + SB900 on flash bracket with GF LightSphere Cloud
(Primary, group, candid, etc)

2. D300/D300s + 50mm f1.4D (for low light and bokeh)

3.70-200 vrf2.8 for candids (think only useful for wedding in open space outdoors)

4. 105mm f2.8 for closeup of wedding related items with sentimental value (like wedding bands, bride's heels etc..)

Lots of extra juice (enelops) for your flash and body, extra cf cards, rechardeable pack for ur flash, extra SB600 or SB800.

Think Tank Belt System with modules, lens changer etc.

haven't try yet, but think on paper should provide adequate coverage..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.