Wedding Coverage (1st Attempt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your useful comments. Please feel free to post more so that I can learn from my bad photography habits. Thx!

lwy said:
Thanks for all your useful comments. Please feel free to post more so that I can learn from my bad photography habits. Thx!

Hi there!

Good effort for the first time! Keep it up!

Just a few pointers to share:

#1 & #2
You might want to consider 'softening' the image for such images. (B/W wif color) Too harsh and might not work for some couple. Be more subtle when using such technic. (At least I encountered a few who doesn't like such effects) :(

Try shooting the side profile of the bride's face instead of a 'head-on' shot. Makes the face looks fat and flat. (Unless you want it that way of cos)

Go close-up and shoot more of the couple's expression. Wait for the decisive moment. ;) Even for the grandma shot, you might wish to wait for her to break a smile or 2.

Other than that, everything looks normal and fine.

Well, I'm not a wedding photog expert. Just sharing from my experiences. :embrass:

Hope this helps and all the best for your next wedding shoot! :thumbsup:

arttl said:
Hi there!

Good effort for the first time! Keep it up!

Just a few pointers to share:

#1 & #2
You might want to consider 'softening' the image for such images. (B/W wif color) Too harsh and might not work for some couple. Be more subtle when using such technic. (At least I encountered a few who doesn't like such effects) :(

Try shooting the side profile of the bride's face instead of a 'head-on' shot. Makes the face looks fat and flat. (Unless you want it that way of cos)

Go close-up and shoot more of the couple's expression. Wait for the decisive moment. ;) Even for the grandma shot, you might wish to wait for her to break a smile or 2.

Other than that, everything looks normal and fine.

Well, I'm not a wedding photog expert. Just sharing from my experiences. :embrass:

Hope this helps and all the best for your next wedding shoot! :thumbsup:

Hi arttl,

Thanks for your comment and they are really helpful. Your portfolio looks expert to me. Will remember your comments in mind. Thx!

lwy said:
Hi arttl,

Thanks for your comment and they are really helpful. Your portfolio looks expert to me. Will remember your comments in mind. Thx!

Hi lwy,

Mi no expert. Just a newbie. ;)

Enjoy photography to the fullest! N thanks for sharing your pics. Hope to see more and better works from ya in the near future.

Cheers! :D

Not bad for first attempt. Anyway it will be better if you focus on the lcd for picture no. 4 and 12.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

invert_studio said:
Not bad for first attempt. Anyway it will be better if you focus on the lcd for picture no. 4 and 12.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Hi bro,

Thanks for your comment. Will try it out in my next attempt. Thx!

for the tea ceremony, usually the photog will arrange the couple and the elders in a V shape. it looks odd in the room but will turn out ok in the pics.

something like
.....X....X
...X........X
.......O
.....Photog

each X denotes the position of a person (be it bride/groom/elders)

yanyewkay said:
for the tea ceremony, usually the photog will arrange the couple and the elders in a V shape. it looks odd in the room but will turn out ok in the pics.

something like
.....X....X
...X........X
.......O
.....Photog

Yup, definitely a better way for arrangement.

I'm sorry to say this. If you wish to improve on your photography skills, then you should read up more and practise more with shooting. Be it as an official photographer or a backup photographer for your friend's wedding, I personally feel that you shouldn't post their wedding pictures for comments. These are your friend's sacred moments in life and don't leave them with any regrets if bad comments are given. If you don't have the confidence to shoot well, you shouldn't be their photographer in the first place. If you made any mistakes, then you have to be accountable to the couple instead of asking for comments here.

Anyway, I like your pictures. :thumbsup:

Yezrah said:
I'm sorry to say this. If you wish to improve on your photography skills, then you should read up more and practise more with shooting. Be it as an official photographer or a backup photographer for your friend's wedding, I personally feel that you shouldn't post their wedding pictures for comments. These are your friend's sacred moments in life and don't leave them with any regrets if bad comments are given. If you don't have the confidence to shoot well, you shouldn't be their photographer in the first place. If you made any mistakes, then you have to be accountable to the couple instead of asking for comments here.

Hi Yezrah,

I believe lwy has asked the couple permission before posting. So don't think it is an issue and everyone here is pro enough to comment only on his skills.

Yezrah said:

Hi Yezrah,

Thanks for your comment. Actually I did asked their permission before posting it online. My intention is clearly trying to improve my skills and not posting those pictures for fun. So I don't see it will offend the couple. I have to thank everyone who commented and their comments have help me a lot.

On the other hand, they already had their wedding in Melbourne and this one is for their relatives and friends who couldn't make it to Melbourne. So it is pretty safe for them to have me, given that they know my photographic skill and both party want to contribute the money to charity.

To be honest, I am confident of my shot and trusting both my eyes and gears. What I lack is basically experience which I gained much from this shot. Hope to learn more from everyone. Thx!

yanyewkay said:

something like
.....X....X
...X........X
.......O
.....Photog

Hi Yew Kay,

Thanks for your comment. It really help. Thx!

i enjoyed viewing all the pictures and particularly loved photos 11 and 14
which have a magical quality about them - excellent flash control.

in all, a nice variety of shots were posted, ranging from painted-in details,
still life pics, to portraits and wide angle group shots, perhaps a reflection of
your desire and intention to explore?

That being the case, you could also try some abstract shots in your next
wedding shoot e.g silouhettes, patterns of light, motion blur, etc...

the permutations are endless...

here's a link to a site that may inspire you further: http://www.rueyloon.com

thanks for sharing your pics, Iwy.
I hope this helps.

leafleaf said:
i enjoyed viewing all the pictures and particularly loved photos 11 and 14
which have a magical quality about them - excellent flash control.

in all, a nice variety of shots were posted, ranging from painted-in details,
still life pics, to portraits and wide angle group shots, perhaps a reflection of
your desire and intention to explore?

That being the case, you could also try some abstract shots in your next
wedding shoot e.g silouhettes, patterns of light, motion blur, etc...

the permutations are endless...

here's a link to a site that may inspire you further: http://www.rueyloon.com

thanks for sharing your pics, Iwy.
I hope this helps.

Hi Leafleaf,

Thanks for the link and Rueyloon works are amazing.

I agree entirely that my intention was to cover the event with as different type of shots as possible. Just hope to see the different in mood by using different angle and distance. I also believe I lacked those motion and other shots as I use most of my time to capture the safe shots. Think I need to brush up my skills and hope to make it to another level.

Thanks for your great comment!

No 2!!!!! I like it!!
maybe the girl behind have to move away... or have to get more ppl to show their legs behind... :p

authmn said:
No 2!!!!! I like it!!
maybe the girl behind have to move away... or have to get more ppl to show their legs behind... :p

Hi Authmn,

Thanks for your comment. Will keep my background problem in mind. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.