weatherproof entry dslr?

lightice201

Aug 2, 2013
Simei Estate, Singapore, Singa
Hi Im currently using a A55 and am Soon going over to Germany. Currently it's snowing there with pretty low temperatures. A few questions I have;
Is it safe for the lens and body to stand the snow and cold?
Anyways to make it "tahan" the weather there better?
Advice to bring it there?

Cheers!!!
Amaya

Every year at around this time we get this same question asked over and over again... It's so often that we even have a sticky!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615253

Now, also do apply some logic. Your camera is designed in Japan. It gets cold and snowy there. People have been going on trips and returning with pictures of the snow, etc without crying that now they have to throw away their camera. All the DSLR owners in Germany don't complain of their cameras dying every winter. Ergo...?

Normally it the battery that get discharge faster in cold condition. Bring more spare batteries. Maybe also keep the spare batteries warm if possible?

1) Read the numerous other "Oh, cold winter..!" threads. Read your manual, see whether there is any warning about low temperatures.
2) Prepare yourself, you will stop function very soon if you get cold there. Your camera will still work well, in contrast.
3) Get a spare battery.
4) Go and enjoy, stop worrying for nothing.

Hi Im currently using a A55 and am Soon going over to Germany. Currently it's snowing there with pretty low temperatures. A few questions I have;

Cheers!!!
Amaya

Check the manual for information on how low can it work in colder climates. Last resort buy a Pentax K50.

I am new member of forum and excited to be a part of this forum as found great threads with helpful posts and useful stuff before registering here. I will try to be active to learn more from here for my new ride, Hope to be greeted!
Welcome .. but why are you doing this by disrupting a specific thread with your greeting? Or do you want to share how photographers in US deal with the cold when taking pictures in Winter?

Welcome .. but why are you doing this by disrupting a specific thread with your greeting? Or do you want to share how photographers in US deal with the cold when taking pictures in Winter?

It's a googlespam bot

It's a googlespam bot
Then this one is Next Generation, it posted a general greeting as second post. Too bad it was right in the middle of the recent 'Camera owner gets cold feet in winter' thread.

Thank you for all the suggestion, still wondering whether I should bring my camera along or just depend on my handphone...
If you want to keep your camera in pristine conditions, nice to look at, and hope for reselling it in 5 years at 80% then maybe you should leave it at home in the package. If you want to take pictures then just forget all these worries, concerns and whatnot, go and shoot. Thousands of SG people do this every year, millions do it around the globe and enjoy Winter pictures afterwards. Search for the few guys who bring cameras to Antarctica, Sandstorms and other cozy places. Ever wondered how they can bring back pictures if the camera were to break down on the spot? Now, why would you be worried about your trip with temperature hardly below zero? Are you also worried about bringing your camera out in Singapore? After all, heat is more troublesome to semiconductors than cold.

Thank you for all the suggestion, still wondering whether I should bring my camera along or just depend on my handphone...
That is really funny, I would rather risk my gear from getting wet than to miss a chance to take great pictures. But anyway it will not snow 24hour non stop there, and a bit of snow will not kill your camera. You buy camera, make the full ROI out from it.

Last edited:
It's like people buy a car then don't want to take it out... What if it rains... Will my car spoil or not...

Your camera was designed to take photos. Stop treating it like a fragile piece of tofu. It will survive the cold MUCH MUCH longer and better than you.

Reactions: Shizuma

Cheers!!!
Amaya

Don't worry too much about it. There are loads of people in Germany who shoot in cold weather with cheap cheap consumer camera.

If old design Nokia handphones that go for about $50 these days new can stand the cold, so can an expensive DSLR.

Just shoot. Anything replace but take necessary precaution. No photo is worth your life remember. If that shot is too risky, do not take it and enjoy;) going Germany too!

Although my A350 mostly sitting in the drycab since I'm too busy doing some else, I always bring her with me for holiday (hey, how many times you have holiday in a year?). Been in Japan in this October when the typhoon seems destroying my mood for holiday and it's raining everyday. But the holiday must go on, and I still taking quite number of pics despite of rain (yes, it's covered by umbrella, but there are always water splash). The camera still perform very well, although quite number of pics are ruined by water splash (water drop in the lens, appear in the pic). Quite amazing since Sony never advertised A350 (and the Zeiss 16-80) as weather resistant. On another hand, saw several guys with camera sheltered from rain and decided to wait and do nothing despite some of their gear advertised as weather sealed... (you know... those "pro" camera, and "pro" lenses)