weather shield lens need to put in dry case?

Yes. Weather proof doesn't mean dust or fungus proof.

Michael Ang said:
I just got my first weather shield L Len. Curious if e still need to dry case it since it is weather proof?

And don't forget to complete the weather sealing you need to put on a UV filter. Congrats on your first L lens!

Expensive L lens that you bought is for you to use and abuse in the field not resting in the dry case.

For humid country like Singapore, lenses should be stored in dry cabinet when it's not in use, expensive or not, L or not.

For humid country like Singapore, lenses should be stored in dry cabinet when it's not in use, expensive or not, L or not.

Thanks for the info.

Expensive or or not to me is not the price but the usage. For example Lens A $100 used for 100 shots, per shot work out to $1/shot. So if the lens B use very often but cost 10 time of lens A or $1,000 for 200,000 shots, per shot work out to $0.005/shot.

So if you have a nice lens, use it often for shooting and capture the beautiful world out there is better than let it rest in the dry box. :)

Thanks for the info.

Expensive or or not to me is not the price but the usage. For example Lens A $100 used for 100 shots, per shot work out to $1/shot. So if the lens B use very often but cost 10 time of lens A or $1,000 for 200,000 shots, per shot work out to $0.005/shot.

So if you have a nice lens, use it often for shooting and capture the beautiful world out there is better than let it rest in the dry box. :)

TS is simply asking whether L lens with weather resistance still require to be store in dry case, which the answer is yes. Weather resist doesn't mean there won't be fungus.

Why do you even want to bring in the "Lens justification theory" in?

SilverPine said:
Thanks for the info.

What has this got to do with TS's question?

Michael Ang said:
I just got my first weather shield L Len. Curious if e still need to dry case it since it is weather proof?

it's weather sealed not shield. weather sealing just means that there are rubber gaskets and sealings to prevent water and dust from entering into the innards.

fungus growth arises from humidity, so if u want to prevent fungus growth, u need a dry cabinet.

Simple. Spec sheet doesn't says fungus resistant nor fungus proof. So store it in your dry cab. :)

Weather != Fungus. Store as advised. But feel free to try otherwise, let us know how long it took to grow fungus and how much the cleaning bill was :)

Its ALWAYS recommended to store your equipment in a dry cabinet. But its not a MUST..
If you dont wish to do so..and if 1 day your stuff got infected. The cleaning and maintaining will not be cheap. ;) At least, it wont be any cheaper than a small eg. 30L dry cabinet.

We should not take any chance right? To me, I am slightly kiasu even though the lens are staying outside more than inside the DC

Actually, I was curious because apparently with coupled with the right filters/body, the lens is basically dust and water resistant. Thus, I was thinking that since moisture shouldn't go in, basically it should also mean that fungus wouldn't go in the inside. If fungus does grow, it should only be on the outside. But hey, i also kiasu and kiasi having spent so much on a len, I wouldn't take the chance. Just curious.

Actually, I was curious because apparently with coupled with the right filters/body, the lens is basically dust and water resistant. Thus, I was thinking that since moisture shouldn't go in, basically it should also mean that fungus wouldn't go in the inside. If fungus does grow, it should only be on the outside. But hey, i also kiasu and kiasi having spent so much on a len, I wouldn't take the chance. Just curious.

I not sure if you have heard of this but there's water in the air as well, in the form of water vapour. Also, the spores of fungi are a lot smaller than the seals on the lens. And yes, spores can be in the air. And guess what, air can enter the lens!

Weather sealed means protection against wet weather as well? If yes, then does weather sealed = water resistance? If yes, can spores still enter the lens?

Also if weather sealed is protection against dust and dirt, then can spores still enter the lens?

If weather sealed != water resistance and protection against dust and dirt, then what is weather sealed for?

genuine Q :dunno:

ManWearPants said:
Weather sealed means protection against wet weather as well? If yes, then does weather sealed = water resistance? If yes, can spores still enter the lens?

Also if weather sealed is protection against dust and dirt, then can spores still enter the lens?

If weather sealed != water resistance and protection against dust and dirt, then what is weather sealed for?

genuine Q :dunno:

And for those of us who speak English your question would be?

Weather sealing is a protection for the combination "camera + lens" which, in the hand of the photographer, is exposed to weather. The sealing will slow down (not even Canon will dare to claim "will stop" or "will prevent") dust and dirt entering lens and body. That's it. The fact that Canon recommends a simple UV filter to complete the sealing at the front element shows that it is by no means "weather proof" or "water proof" - water would still be able to creep in through the threads of the filter.
But: have you also considered that your lens is not always attached to your camera? What about those lenses in your bag? At home? They are exposed to humidity and spores and dust and no lens caps will prevent this. If you leave them just like that then you can watch the fungus grow, regardless of red ring, green ring, golden ring ... Smarties could now ask "What if I never remove the lens?" - Do as you please but don't ask us for the price of fungus removal. The smallest dry cabinets cost less than some filters. Believe or not it's the better investment because you will use it more often than some filters.