Wat Arun - Temple of Dawn, BANGKOK - Sepia

kayelan

Mar 24, 2012
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Critique is sought especially in Composition, BlackNwhite contrast. Also, welcome to receive general feedback as I am a beginner in the DSLR world.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To improve the landscape photography skills with the help of valuable comments from the expert panel.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)?
Taken during the sunset [around 6:15 pm BKT], It was our first visit to Bangkok, Spellbound by the beauty of the temple coated with the porcelain material. Had taken the Color photographs as well which looked nice due to the reflection of the sunlight on the porcelain materials, but here to challenge myself, uploaded the Sepia version to provide an antique look of this historic temple. Exif details : Nikon D5100 18-55 mm, handheld, Monochrome, ISO 500, Aperture f/3.5, Exposure (1/1000 sec), No Flash. Post processing : Added Sepia and Color boost by 1 pt via iPhoto(MAC)

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
On the contrast created by the temple main pillar in the foreground against the back ground. Background was lit too much with the sunlight and the foreground in darkness due to the shadow. I think that the contrast disturbs the feel of the photo, could have darkened the background a bit to add more antique feel.

Thanks everyone in advance.

DSC0963.jpg

The extreme tilt on the right side is extremely distracting. If this is un-cropped then you'll lose a lot of the top when correcting the perspective. Next time when shooting on extreme wide angles, provide more space around the subject(s).

The image is foreground heavy and normally you need the foreground to lead to main subject. Here it doesn't really lead and like you said, in shadow so it's not particularly attractive. You may want to show the original image to see how we can work on it.

I couldn't avoid the tilt as I was near to the subject. Have to learn how to avoid such tilt of the far end objects.

Yes, the shadow resulted in the foreground to get darker. Perhaps, I should hv used Flash to lit up the foreground, right ?

Thanks for your comments !

No need flash, just how you manipulate the RAW file.

The foreground is not completely dark as to lose all detail. In fact we can see every detail quite clearly. You just need to make it look more attractive than currently. You should develop a similar file but at +1.5 to +2 stop brighter, then try to merge the brighter foreground in. Not all of it, just some. Need some artistic sense. Try to imagine a light raking across so there are pockets of light & shadow. Keep remembering you need contrast.

Suggestions above only deal with the post processing section. Composition-wise it's not strong. It doesn't feel like it can flow.

Don't try to cram too much into the photo. The photo looks left-heavy and i feel that the left side can be cropped out, and use the rule of thirds to emphasise the more ornate temple structure on the right, along with correcting for the verticals as much as possible. This image should look quite nice with a border to give more breathing space around the subject.
7880652972_49b1de3db9_o.jpg

Thanks for your comments, will apply the suggestions in my next captures.

@Zaren, Your edited photo looks nice ! I am yet to jump into Post Processing ! Tnx for the comments

My Flickr Stream : Flickr: My-Third-Eye's Photostream