Want auto focus 50mm pentax lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I KNOW!!! ME TOO!!!

arrrgghhh.... toys toys toys....

southernoise said:
I KNOW!!! ME TOO!!!

arrrgghhh.... toys toys toys....

Hey, I thought you already got a 50/1.4 ;) Start to collect some pentax gear already :D

fengwei said:
Hey, I thought you already got a 50/1.4 ;) Start to collect some pentax gear already :D

Accumulated to date

Kit lens
DA50-200 (Not put into much use yet)
FA135 2.8 (Great lens for concert!)
FA50 1.4 (Superb lens!)
FA28-70 4 (Seeing much less action these days)
Cheap Vivitar manual focus macro with a enlarging filter (Yet to bring it out in the open but tested at home, very sharp lens)
Zenitar fisheye that everybody should have. Just a lot of fun.
Some macro tubes and other bits of stuff.
Katzeye focusing screen that is so much better for manual focus.

I better hold my money for the K100D. I really don't need anything else with the amount of time I spend shooting. Its all LBA man... :nono:

Curious to know if there are third pary 50mm F/1.4 or F/1.7 lens for Pentax such as Sigma and Tamron ? :rolleyes:

airconvent said:
Curious to know if there are third pary 50mm F/1.4 or F/1.7 lens for Pentax such as Sigma and Tamron ? :rolleyes:

Yes, there are plenty of them, but most are manual focusing ones.

I suggest you to get a Pentax SMC M 50/1.7 first, and see if you like the focal length and the way a prime lens works. It's an excellent lens, and won't break your wallet. Those Sigma or Tamron ones are not much cheaper than this Pentax one anyway ...

fengwei said:
Yes, there are plenty of them, but most are manual focusing ones.

I suggest you to get a Pentax SMC M 50/1.7 first, and see if you like the focal length and the way a prime lens works. It's an excellent lens, and won't break your wallet. Those Sigma or Tamron ones are not much cheaper than this Pentax one anyway ...

thanks...but seems like the M50 is no longer produced by Pentax.
How does this M50 compare with your FA50 in terms of performance and relative price?
Regards

airconvent said:
thanks...but seems like the M50 is no longer produced by Pentax.
How does this M50 compare with your FA50 in terms of performance and relative price?
Regards

There are plenty of M50 1.4, 1.7, 2 available on the second hand market. As a matter of fact, I just sold another M50/1.7 yesterday ;)

M50/1.7 is similar to A50/1.7 which is the same as FA50/1.7 as far as performance is concerned, but the M version has the best build quality and MF feeling.

M50/1.4 is not as good as the A50/1.4 which is the same as FA50/1.4, but not far behind.

All the above 50s are very good, good enough for any of us to take decent photos.

Don't suggest you to get the F2 versions (M or A) 'cause optically they are inferior than the above faster ones.

Pricewise, of course the M50/1.7 has the best value. But if you are not comfortable using M lenses, get the A version, not much more expensive. Or better yet, get the F/FA 50/1.7. You won't regret. FA50/1.4 is abit more expensive, I'd rather get the F/FA50/1.7 if I were you :)

Some price info (from eBay):
M50/1.7: SGD60 to 80
A50/1.7: SGD70-100
F/FA50/1.7: SGD200-250
M50/1.4: SGD 100-150
A50/1.4: SGD 130-220
F/FA50/1.4: SGD300-380

Good luck.

i seem to have alot of problems with manual focus...(photographer, not camera!), so I will stick to the "A" series..:D
Thanks. Will check ebay out. I assume their prices are much cheaper than brand new prices in Singapore?:cool:

Hi Fengwei,
I just re-read your earlier posts. Are you selling an M50 1.7? How much are you letting it go?
I am thinking of getting a 1.7 although I would have preferred a 1.4 but the latter is more expensive. Intend to use it for Bokeh shots as well as reverse lensing it for macro closeups.

cheers

airconvent said:
Hi Fengwei,
I just re-read your earlier posts. Are you selling an M50 1.7? How much are you letting it go?
I am thinking of getting a 1.7 although I would have preferred a 1.4 but the latter is more expensive. Intend to use it for Bokeh shots as well as reverse lensing it for macro closeups.

cheers

No, I don't have one at the moment. But I can get you one if you want. Will cost you probably around $70-80 :) Please pm me if interested. Good luck ;)

fengwei said:
No, I don't have one at the moment. But I can get you one if you want. Will cost you probably around $70-80 :) Please pm me if interested. Good luck ;)
Hi Fengwei,
This is the first time I post in ClubSNAP. Just purchased my K100D. Like Airconvent, I'm interested in the lens. Will PM you.

Thanks Fengwei for the offer! Unfortunately, I bidded on Ebay for a similar one a few days ago and has just been informed I won the auction! But at a higher price than what your friend is offering...if only I had asked you earlier....sigh.....
Anyway, looks like I have to let Alvinsclee take it instead...

Alvin : Congrats on being a Pentaxian...! Now all you need to do to make it complete is to get some Pentax XL eyepieces and a Pentax 75mm APO refractor! :D

airconvent said:
Alvin : Congrats on being a Pentaxian...! Now all you need to do to make it complete is to get some Pentax XL eyepieces and a Pentax 75mm APO refractor! :D
Return of a Pentaxian.... my first SLR was the venerable Pentax K1000 35mm film camera about 20 years ago. The Pentax K100D dSLR invoked nostalgic memories because the model number looked so similar (K1000 and K100D, SLR and dSLR). And I like the fact that K100D can use ordinary AA batteries too... something that the latest K10D lack (which is why it did not appeal to me as much as K100D). I like cameras that will allow me to get to the basics ;)

:D I already own an 80mm APO refractor (Vixen, a reputable telescope brand) and numerous assorted brand eyepieces. To complete my photography system, I will slowly collect renown Pentax lenses from the resale market.

alvinsclee said:
Hi Fengwei,
This is the first time I post in ClubSNAP. Just purchased my K100D. Like Airconvent, I'm interested in the lens. Will PM you.

Pls check your PM ;)

ok...still waiting for my M50 f/1.7 to arrive. could take a while as the seller using cheapest means. btw, the lens comes without lens cap. Is there any place I could buy one?

thanks

airconvent said:
ok...still waiting for my M50 f/1.7 to arrive. could take a while as the seller using cheapest means. btw, the lens comes without lens cap. Is there any place I could buy one?

thanks

I got some third party ones (both front and back). Pls pm me if you still haven't found any ...

Good luck,

fengwei said:
I got some third party ones (both front and back). Pls pm me if you still haven't found any ...

Good luck,

Thanks Feng Wei.
Will contact you once the lens arrive....hopefully not too long...:)

Hi all!

I'm new here, been lurking in the background.

I'm planning on getting a Pentax DSLR and thinking of getting a new FA 50mm 1.4. Does anyone know whether it's available at any of the shops? I called CP and was told its no longer available here.

Thanks!

tyzts said:
Hi all!

I'm new here, been lurking in the background.

I'm planning on getting a Pentax DSLR and thinking of getting a new FA 50mm 1.4. Does anyone know whether it's available at any of the shops? I called CP and was told its no longer available here.

Thanks!

I think the second hand market (especially eBay) is the only place to go, unless you want to buy from the States ...

Thanks fengwei! Appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.