I thought yours already reserved?
I am also interested but sadly budget is less than $300...:dunno:
Anyway, good luck on your sale!

airconvent said:
Hi Feng Wei,
I thought yours already reserved?
I am also interested but sadly budget is less than $300...:dunno:
Anyway, good luck on your sale!

Yes, it's reserved by another CSer. He's on vacation, will be back by mid of July :)

$300 for a brand new 50/1.4 is too low, even a used one sold for more than that I think.

Tiong had an FA50/1.7 for sale before, don't know if it's still available:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186872

Good luck :D

thanks feng wei.
his phone number had changed and his thread is already locked.
in anycase, his price quite high for a f1.7. I told a similar canon one cost around that brand new...the prices really increase when you drop to f/1.4 though...

I think you need to check the price of a new pentax 50mm f1.7 before you make that conclusion.
as for canon mk2 50f1.8, the build and optical quality cannot be compared to the f1.7.

airconvent,

canon 50mm are cheaper lah... but you're using a pentax system now so what to do must use pentax. I had the same impression last time before I bought FA50, how come so expensive??? But when I got it, the picture quality is great, sharp even when stopped down.

Just that AF hunts when dark. Its a pentax thing I suppose. heh heh.

I got a SMC 50mm f1.7 cheap from US through auctions.
But it's manual focus...
Well.... Didn't have my *ist when I bought it then...
At least I'm the one doing the hunting in the dark... :D

airconvent said:
thanks feng wei.
his phone number had changed and his thread is already locked.
in anycase, his price quite high for a f1.7. I told a similar canon one cost around that brand new...the prices really increase when you drop to f/1.4 though...

Pentax make the FA50/1.4 and 1.7 with the same quality and excellent SMC coatings. Actually some even prefer the 1.7 version due to its slightly higher wide open sharpness. I had the F1.7 version before, it's a SHARP SHARP lens. I think it's a better deal among these two, unless you really want to hunt for the half-stop-faster speed. Tiong's asking price is more than fare if comparing to the sale prices at eBay.

Of course you can get a manual lens as a start and see how you like it. I've got three manual 50mm lenses here, you can pick one you like at a reasonable price: SMC M50/1.7, SMC M50/1.4 and SMC A50/1.4 ;)

But my suggestion is to get the FA 1.7 version when it's still available, or better yet, get my FA50/1.4 :bsmilie: Well, it's reserved already, sorry ...

Here are a couple shots taken with FA50/1.7, when I was still quite new to this SLR thing (well, still a newbie, but I know I can take better ones now) :

IMGP8368_small.jpg

IMGP8598.jpg

IMGP8302.jpg

Cheers and happy shooting.

thanks all for the advice.
but manual not for me as all my manual attempts have been dismal.
ok..will try and contact the seller and see if he is still selling.

race queens! yay! newbie or not but race queens! yay! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

The sale is open again ;)

Anyone interested? I'd put it for sale somewhere else if nobody takes it in a week :)

Cheers!

fengwei said:
The sale is open again ;)
Anyone interested? I'd put it for sale somewhere else if nobody takes it in a week :)

The FA? Let me see how much birthday ang pow I have...
And if I got go and buy the DA 40.... :p

alanswan said:
The FA? Let me see how much birthday ang pow I have...
And if I got go and buy the DA 40.... :p

The DA40 is totally a different lens, it's tiny, sharp, has fast AF, but I don't like the colors it produces. It's just not like a Pentax lens anymore. I had it for a very short period of time, then sold it off :)

On the other hand, the FA50/1.4 is probably one of the best Pentax lens as far as optical quality and color rendering are concerned :D Besides, it's a full frame lens, you'd be able to use it on a film camera or future full frame dSLR cameras ;)

fengwei said:
The DA40 is totally a different lens, it's tiny, sharp, has fast AF, but I don't like the colors it produces. It's just not like a Pentax lens anymore. I had it for a very short period of time, then sold it off :)

On the other hand, the FA50/1.4 is probably one of the best Pentax lens as far as optical quality and color rendering are concerned :D Besides, it's a full frame lens, you'd be able to use it on a film camera or future full frame dSLR cameras ;)

The reason the FA50 is second priority now is because I already have a K (or KA) 50/1.7... :sweat:

fengwei said:
fengwei,

how different is the color reproduction. cos I know in the near future I may just succumb to the DA40.

cheers,

ed

alanswan said:
The reason the FA50 is second priority now is because I already have a K (or KA) 50/1.7... :sweat:

Okay. The K/KA 50/1.7 is a decent lens too. I'm currently using an M50/1.7, quite like it as well.

Good luck getting a DA40 then.

southernoise said:
fengwei,

how different is the color reproduction. cos I know in the near future I may just succumb to the DA40.

cheers,

ed

Well, I don't know how to explain this. I feel the FA50/1.4 produces more richer color tune, while the DA40 (actually most DA lenses) produces abit cooler color. Just different I guess.

Here are two samples to show what I mean here:

FA50/1.4 samples:

indoor:
IMGP1716.jpg

outdoor:
IMGP1660.jpg

DA40/2.8 samples:

indoor:
IMGP1872_small.jpg

outdoor:
IMGP1927_small.jpg

All samples shot in jpg w/ minimum PPing. Can you see the difference here?

Overall, both are very good lenses. But I prefer the FA50 over the DA40 here ;)

Cheers,

Thanks fengwei, I think I know what you mean.

The FA50 just looks better in terms of color and sharpness. I better stop shopping and start shooting.

The DA40 is not necessary...

southernoise said:
Thanks fengwei, I think I know what you mean.

The FA50 just looks better in terms of color and sharpness. I better stop shopping and start shooting.

Okay... Okay!
I'll admit it then...
I'm suckered by the form factor... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.