Wacom - Standard & Wide Format differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visuals

Sep 7, 2006
Hi all.

Currently, I am using a standard (non-wide) format Wacom tablet on a standard format LCD monitor.

I am thinking of upgrading to one of those newer wide screen LCD monitor or laptop.

Questions:

1. Since Wacom tablet's drawing area is proportionately mapped to the monitor screen, will a NON-wide format tablet still function properly on a wide format monitor?

2. Will accuracy suffer when doing retouching, editing or navigation?

3. Has anyone used the Wacom mouse before, is it useful for editing work?

Hope to receive guidance from experience users.

Thanks.

Visuals said:
Hi all.

Currently, I am using a standard (non-wide) format Wacom tablet on a standard format LCD monitor.

I am thinking of upgrading to one of those newer wide screen LCD monitor or laptop.

Questions:

1. Since Wacom tablet's drawing area is proportionately mapped to the monitor screen, will a NON-wide format tablet still function properly on a wide format monitor?

2. Will accuracy suffer when doing retouching, editing or navigation?

3. Has anyone used the Wacom mouse before, is it useful for editing work?

Hope to receive guidance from experience users.

Thanks.

u can set the offset of the usable surface of the tablet to only centre wide area. cos if u use wide screen 16:9, and your tablet is using normal 4:3, then whatever u write will be skewed...

Take down the ratio of your widescreen resolution.
Then do the math to set the wide area for your Wacom.
This will make sure your mouse movement doesn't stretch

I'm using 4:3 wacom on a widescreen too.

Which is a good model? Am interested to get one too....

The default setup for 4:3 Wacom tablet will automatically map itself to the wide screen panel. That is, the corners of the tablet will match to the 4 corners of the screen. However, the linearity is now lost between the tablet and the wide screen because of the different ratios. This is not a problem when editing photos with photoshop. It becomes a problem when you are trying to trace something on the tablet such as when you use Illustrator - in that case, you simply set the Wacom tablet according to the screen ratio (as suggested by others).

Paladin said:
Which is a good model? Am interested to get one too....

Wacom Intuos 3 is very good but quite expensive. Get one that match your screen ratio.
The Wacom Graphire is cheaper, but don't have configurable buttons & scroll bars.

fastshot said:
Wacom Intuos 3 is very good but quite expensive. Get one that match your screen ratio.
The Wacom Graphire is cheaper, but don't have configurable buttons & scroll bars.

Where is a good place to get it? I saw from their site that they have the wide format A5 and A3 wide, any idea how much it will cost? Thanks!

got my Intuos 3 at PK Computer at funan...the best price of the places I shopped at the time I bought it...

theRBK said:
got my Intuos 3 at PK Computer at funan...the best price of the places I shopped at the time I bought it...

Which model? PTZ-631W? Can I know how much u got it?

Firstly, thanks for all your guidance. Its good to know that a standart non-wide Wacom still works fine on a Wide Screen display, at least for Photoshop editing.

I bought mine at PK Computer (Funan) about 1 year plus ago, if I remember the period correctly. Wacom Intuos 3 is a reliable product and will serve you well for a long time. If you forsee yourself using it often, its a good investment to make.

However, new users may find it awkward to use in the begining. But don't give up, it does take a while to get comfortable with it.

With appreciation,

Visuals. :)

Paladin said:
Which model? PTZ-631W? Can I know how much u got it?
nope not the wide models...and I got it before the mid 2006 price hike so prices now have changed...but PK at Funan is a good place to shop for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.