VR qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackas_hero

Apr 22, 2006
i just got a 70-200vr:lovegrin:

i am using the d70s, generally, how will vr affect my batt performance? say, for a trip to the zoo, would i need an extra batt?

i realised tt it takes a while for vr to kick in after depressing the shutter release. is it possible for vr to be constantly on?

thx ppl.

jackas_hero said:
i just got a 70-200vr:lovegrin:

i am using the d70s, generally, how will vr affect my batt performance? say, for a trip to the zoo, would i need an extra batt?

i realised tt it takes a while for vr to kick in after depressing the shutter release. is it possible for vr to be constantly on?

thx ppl.
Zoo? Depends on what your expectation is. If it is like 150-250 without flash, then most likely no. VR cannot be constantly on as it consumes quite a bit of power. That just means that you have to half-press a second before you actually want to take.

Watcher said:
Zoo? Depends on what your expectation is. If it is like 150-250 without flash, then most likely no. VR cannot be constantly on as it consumes quite a bit of power. That just means that you have to half-press a second before you actually want to take.
What he meant was VR automatically working even when not half-pressed so that he doesn't need to worry about the VR kicking in when he half-presses.

Sorrie to OT abit.

Juz wondering if it is normal to have a click sound from the lens? This happens only after focusing (and after I release the trigger without shooting).

Cheers

Lmodel said:
Sorrie to OT abit.

Juz wondering if it is normal to have a click sound from the lens? This happens only after focusing (and after I release the trigger without shooting).

Cheers
If you did a search on this, you'd probably have found the answer.

Since I'm chionging post count now, I'll answer you - yes.

It's due to the VR mechanism locking into place to counter the possible handshake.

another yes too.
the VR "moves" and stop after awhile when u release the shutter button.
so u'll hear the click sound when it stop. :)

espn said:

It's due to the VR mechanism locking into place to counter the possible handshake.

since you chionging post count, i ask you 1 more question..... Since the VR mechanism is always locking/unlocking, i assume there must be a lifespan to it. You know the lifespan of the VR lenses?

idor said:
since you chionging post count, i ask you 1 more question..... Since the VR mechanism is always locking/unlocking, i assume there must be a lifespan to it. You know the lifespan of the VR lenses?
But now I not chionging post count wor.. I don't feel like replying you leh, how? :bsmilie:

Just use lah, worry this worry that, then why spend so much on the glass. Everything also got lifespan, it's just when it dies... when it dies then it's outlived your investment liao worth it to replace or repair liao ma.

espn said:
Just use lah, worry this worry that, then why spend so much on the glass. Everything also got lifespan, it's just when it dies... when it dies then it's outlived your investment liao worth it to replace or repair liao ma.

PLo comments. :thumbsup:

espn said:

Thanks for the reply.

Tried to do a search but nothing relevant comes out for 70-200, AFS VR, etc. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

alamak, how come so fast OT liao. i thought the activation time for vr was annoying.

i discovered another potential problem with my new lens. at full zoom, it dosnt seem to be able to focus onto relatively close subjects(like 5m away) but at 70, theres no prob. for further subjects like 20m away, 200mm will lock on quickly.

jackas_hero said:
alamak, how come so fast OT liao. i thought the activation time for vr was annoying.

i discovered another potential problem with my new lens. at full zoom, it dosnt seem to be able to focus onto relatively close subjects(like 5m away) but at 70, theres no prob. for further subjects like 20m away, 200mm will lock on quickly.

I dunno if this is right, but maybe you have the focus limiter switched on, i forgot which range it applies to though i think 2.5M>. Try switing it to full :dunno:

And for someone who just got a 70-200 you seem to moaning and talking too much, go use it, i would kill to have one!

i was shooting with it tis afternoon tts how i discovered this problem. i tried both full and 2.5m, no difference. the optics r stellar but only focusing is a bit problematic.

For one of nikons top lenses the focusing should be spot on, maybe what look like is out of focus could be depth of field issues at 2.8? maybe try shooting at f8-16 and see if it improves focus accuracy, otherwise i would be a bit bumed if focusing is out on a 3k lens

jackas_hero said:

You sure on this?

Focusing isn't just based on distance. It's the contrast of the subject, size of it as well.

Try focusing on a whistling duck that's about 20m+ away at 200mm and you'll be retracting your statement on faster focusing at 200mm.

wildstallion said:
For one of nikons top lenses the focusing should be spot on, maybe what look like is out of focus could be depth of field issues at 2.8? maybe try shooting at f8-16 and see if it improves focus accuracy, otherwise i would be a bit bumed if focusing is out on a 3k lens

When you mount the glass on the body, the aperture is open to the max by the lever on the body. The glass is opened wide at f/2.8 throughout 70 to 200mm. Setting the aperture to f/8-f/16 only comes into effect when the shutter is released and the lever on the camera releases the aperture into the right aperture.

Setting aperture on the camera DOESN'T affect the amount of light entering the glass to the body. :rolleyes:

If setting to f/8-f/16 is what you imagined to be, then you will be seeing nothing as the amount of light entering the glass will be severly limited under darker conditions.

espn said:
When you mount the glass on the body, the aperture is open to the max by the lever on the body. The glass is opened wide at f/2.8 throughout 70 to 200mm. Setting the aperture to f/8-f/16 only comes into effect when the shutter is released and the lever on the camera releases the aperture into the right aperture.

Setting aperture on the camera DOESN'T affect the amount of light entering the glass to the body. :rolleyes:

If setting to f/8-f/16 is what you imagined to be, then you will be seeing nothing as the amount of light entering the glass will be severly limited under darker conditions.

I meant this to reduce the effect of DOF so that it could by easy to see if focusing is off

But of course, it has to be light enough, but most people should have figured that out

wildstallion said:
I meant this to reduce the effect of DOF so that it could by easy to see if focusing is off
I reference your earlier post

wildstallion said:
Your first sentence still makes some sense in your reply to me. But your 2nd sentence within the same paragraph contradicted yourself though.

Focus accuracy is not determined by DOF. It's how the camera's AF module causes the focusing. If you know what hyperfocusing is, f/2.8 can also achieve total sharpness across the shot. The talk on using f/8-16 to focus accurately (paraphrased) is not necessary and incorrect in this scenario.

wildstallion said:
But of course, it has to be light enough, but most people should have figured that out
I presume you meant enough light.

Status
Not open for further replies.