Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

Wah...mine is the green box JDM in EF mount. Mint! can sell for S$4k already. Who is interested before I start taking it out in the field and use it? :)

Local market :sweat: ... best take this lens, dance around the streets of Europe or America and all the babelicious photographers will start drooling around you! :devil:

And it's not just because of what the lens is worth! :bsmilie:

I had a few copies of it over the years (used different brands) and loved using it for the precise focusing. It feels right for macro and I shot many flowers with it. Eventually I sold them because I found a longer reach plus tripod collar more useful and got a 180mm lens. On the light loss issue, almost all macro lenses lose light-gathering power when focused close, and this one is no exception - there is about 2 stops loss iirc.

While this lens is good, prices have really gone crazy nowadays. To put things in perspective, most macro lenses are dead sharp and many give excellent background blur too. Even if the Voigt is superior in some ways, the difference is small. Among lenses I have used, the two rons - Tamron 90mm and Kiron 105mm can both hold their own against it.

Having said that, have fun and enjoy using the lens!

Need to clear space and decided to sell my under utilised copy in EF mount.

Help! My voigtlander lens got a problem now and I am in Jordan.
The problem is, when I mount it on my camera body (Canon 400D), there is an electronic sound once it is mounted (when you turn and it clicks in). Then, when I turn on the camera, there is an error message on the screen. It doesn't say much. Just something like "Error. Try turning the camera on and off or reinstalling the battery", both of which I have done several times but the same error message comes on. If I press the shutter button, nothing happens. It cannot work at all.

It was still fine the night before. I was using it shooting outdoors here in Jordan at night. Then I kept it in the think tank pouch and kept it in the hotel for the whole night and next day. The next night, I took it out and wanted to use and this happened.

Some extra information, it is quite cold here at night but definitely NOT subzero. I wonder if it could be condensation on the chips when I brought it from a cold to warm place that could have caused the problem. I also wonder if it is too cold - the full metal body does become very cold!

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Has anyone used it in a cold country and had any problems with it?

At this time of writing, it is the 2nd night from the first occurrance of the problem and it is still there. Sighhhh... don't know how. This lens is very important because it is my only long lens. The next longest is 50mm. Sighhhh... :( Any help would be appreciated.

Hi WuffRuff.. maybe you could try cleaning the electronic contacts on both the camera and lens to see if it helps.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi WuffRuff.. maybe you could try cleaning the electronic contacts on both the camera and lens to see if it helps.

Cheers,
Andrew

I've cleaned it with the lens cleaning solution. Doesn't help.
It is not camera problem but lens problem because my 3 other lenses work fine with the camera.

Lousy lens.

Pass it to me when you come back and I'll get rid of it for you. :devil:

Seriously, hope it pans out for you. Can you rent a long lens in sand land?

Lousy lens.

Pass it to me when you come back and I'll get rid of it for you. :devil:

Seriously, hope it pans out for you. Can you rent a long lens in sand land?

My friend here told me there is a 2nd hand camera shop in town but we don't know the location.
I don't want to rent or buy a lens... I want to use this lens!
Hope someone has some idea how to get it fixed. It says error 99.

My friend here told me there is a 2nd hand camera shop in town but we don't know the location.
I don't want to rent or buy a lens... I want to use this lens!
Hope someone has some idea how to get it fixed. It says error 99.

Forget about thinking of servicing your lens in Jordan. Such technical expertise is rarely available in Middle East region. I found this article on the Internet which may give you an indication of what can be wrong.

If the below is true, you may want to put the lens in a dry and warm place to expel any moisture. All the best!

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.31/canon-err99

extracted a couple of sentences.
Common Causes of ERR 99,
•Moisture condensation within camera or lens (or corrosion occurring days or weeks after moisture exposure)

•With single lens only, all other lenses fine (solved by repairing the lens)

I second what MWP said about not getting the lens serviced over there. You never know what might happen to it.

I'm afraid that err99 is the catch-all for 'misc', which means the cause for the problem might be any one or combination of a whole slew of things.

If you're absolutely sure the contacts on BOTH the lens and camera are clean and there's no sand or debris inside, and I assume you don't have a moisture problem in sand land, try to do a hard re-set of your camera. Take out BOTH camera batteries and leave it for 10-15 minutes, then re-insert the button cell and normal cam batt and power everything up.

If the below is true, you may want to put the lens in a dry and warm place to expel any moisture. All the best!

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.31/canon-err99

extracted a couple of sentences.
Common Causes of ERR 99,
•Moisture condensation within camera or lens (or corrosion occurring days or weeks after moisture exposure)

Thanks. I did suspect moisture condensation too cos i took it from a cold to warm place.

I second what MWP said about not getting the lens serviced over there. You never know what might happen to it.

I'm afraid that err99 is the catch-all for 'misc', which means the cause for the problem might be any one or combination of a whole slew of things.

If you're absolutely sure the contacts on BOTH the lens and camera are clean and there's no sand or debris inside, and I assume you don't have a moisture problem in sand land, try to do a hard re-set of your camera. Take out BOTH camera batteries and leave it for 10-15 minutes, then re-insert the button cell and normal cam batt and power everything up.

Yah, my friend told me forget it as it is very expensive to service here even if can find someone that can do it. I'm trying to fix the problem myself first.
I've cleaned the contacts with eraser too... still same... :(

I will try hard reset as you say.
What is button cell?

If you suspect the lens may still have moisture trapped inside, you could try gently blow-drying it with a warm hairdryer to drive out the moisture. Do this at your own risk.

A button cell or battery is a flat battery that looks like a button.

Look at Pg 155: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900000357/EOSDRXTi400DIM-EN.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks. I did suspect moisture condensation too cos i took it from a cold to warm place.

Yah, my friend told me forget it as it is very expensive to service here even if can find someone that can do it. I'm trying to fix the problem myself first.
I've cleaned the contacts with eraser too... still same... :(

I will try hard reset as you say.
What is button cell?

Posted some comments on your thread. Hope it helps
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5783778#post5783778

I've done the hard reset... did not work. :cry:
I've also tested it on another body - Canon 450D. This time, it told me there is communication error and it said to clean the contacts.
I've cleaned the contacts with eraser and lens cleaning solution several times already... still cannot work.
Could there be another solution to this?
Sighhhh.....

You're still traveling?

Fatigue clued you in that the flexible circuit strip could be the likely cause of the error.

At any rate, this lens performs almost at max wide open ... the remaining problem being if you need tor want o stop down.

You're still traveling?

Fatigue clued you in that the flexible circuit strip could be the likely cause of the error.

At any rate, this lens performs almost at max wide open ... the remaining problem being if you need tor want o stop down.

Yes, check if the lens can be used at wide open. You have a limited DOF but at least you can shoot.

Sorry, I don't have the replacement parts. I "fix" the actual FFC cable.

This is an absolutely amazing lens for portrait and macro. The optics makes u drool. They really got this apochromatic lens done just right, no colour shift at all throughout the focal range and superb resolution. The construction is also a class above the rest...a precision piece of engineering, and it feels "just right" in your hands. Definitely my favourite lens in the collection.