UWCS Tioman Shootout March 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
We've got some interesting stuff over here, massive turnout - lovells79, nightshades, waisj, lanxx, laixi, and most importantly of all, beivied :D we have a fantastic showing of about 10? to 12 divers, despite being our first time only together diving in such a massive group. kudos to Busy BEEivied for arranging the dives, chasing after us for the money (like a loan shark ;) ) and the other guys for just appearing. hmm. paiseh lah, don't know everyone's part in this outing, i come and dive and hipsiong (tm) nia. :)

Post ALL your links to your photos HERE! :D

p.s. see la, i so hardworking, you guys makaning at the pub, i already post this... didn't expect Ah Gong to be so hardworking ah! :bsmilie:

YES YES YES!! Post those great shots so that the rest of us can dive vicariously! :D

uncle why you so gan cheong ... slowly la... me still feel like zzz-ing haha... anyway, shall we arrange a day to meet? this shall be UWCS SEED VI! see new thread k ^_^

forgot to add... the weather was very wet and waters very choppy .. hai, not like kng who had a good time good vis at tioman last week .. and we had some hiccups along the way. first and foremost, i would like to all the divers who went on the trip for your patience, tolerance, and providing so much so much fun and laughter ^_^ especially waisj and lanxx who took on the leaders position. so, i shall stick to my role and report on the trip as you people wanted me to, haha... but hor, i am working now and risking my rice bowl, so .. i will make it a real short one and add on as and when i think i can, keke..

dive sites:
soya (right spelling?)
tulai
malang rocks
night dive skipped
labas
ringgis

we couldnt go chebeh and all the other good sites because the currents were too strong... the boat rocked like crazy when we were at chebeh ... so .... hai, sad. but, but, thanks to lanxx, we saw very nice nudis at labas :D

sightings:
a lot of nudis (let the experts and our photos tell you what we saw, keke)
nudis eggs
black tip shark
cuttlefish
bumphead parrotfish
map pufferfish
flatworm (waisj knows the species)
christmas tree worm
coral groupers
blue spotted ray
moray eel
cowrie
hell a lot of staghorns
plenty of sand
turtle (another group saw it)
barracuda

dunno got what else...

fellas, please add on what you saw if it is not here hor...

forgot to add (again ..)
hope to have chance to dive with you fellas again (no worries about diving with waisj and lovells again ^_^) and a chance to dive with the rest who didnt go ...

we'll try to DIY the next trip and hope it will be a much better one k? :lovegrin:

but, as i am still a poor churchmouse, cant go anywhere far, and def not before july, cos i gotta at least save and buy my dive comp .. unless you guys wanna plan for maybe sipadan trip but near year end... anyone got good lobang?? lovells was thinking of going seven skies..

p/s: lovells, can gimme your other two friends' contacts?

:cheergal: W E L C O M E - B A C K !!! :cheergal:

Welcome Back......

sort of disappointed that i did not go, missed out on the company

sort of glad i did not go too, sea so choppy. :bsmilie:

Good news is, i have more annual leave than my wife. So now, she cannot stop me from going diving instead of shopping, sight seeing, skiing....still got leave left for all that :D

I really have to salute lanxx spotting skill sial... really really good.

other then the choppy water.. the trip was great.. great company.. :p

visibility was like 10-15m max,

we were splited into 3 groups, leisure, photography and angmo group :p

photography group better.. all Q up. no one was cluster f*ck*ng but the leisure is well.. sigh..... :p

oh we spotted a nurse shark, about 1m long hiding under the rock, and moray eel. and some red crab living on a red fan coral. took lots of nemo,(practice shots) last night managed to go thru some.. i need improvement man. most shots over exposed or not properly focus. :(

seven skies not confirmed, cos if over 600 bucks we rather go manado.
next time uw shoot out should start in may june or july.. better condition by then.

hope it was a good trip for all. i know some are not happy with the arrangement. i apologies on behalf of the dive shop, but weather wise we really can't do much.

its soyak.

let me go digitally edit my photo before postin kekekeke :p
;)
fruitful trip for me wor :D

how did you iso400 turn out? ok?

i am falling asleep at work leh .. how??? so tired...

beivied said:
how did you iso400 turn out? ok?

i am falling asleep at work leh .. how??? so tired...

bright lor the photo, but all the time i take with ISO 400 i never notice any pixel problem leh.

hmm i think maybe don't have dark patches or dark colors to show the pixel problem. so far so good. just browsed through only.

me too.. finish cleaning gear its already 2am... :(

the nudi branch turn out quite good.. the nemo one also quite good..
will try to upload tonite or tomolo.. have to finish my assignment first

mine fastest will be this weekend la.. work busy but sleepy .. and now drenched with rain ... sianz, tioman rain come back also rain ...

i last nite drenched in rain, after supper go back also drenched in rain, no kisses :( keke

this morning drench in rain, tire flat in the rain... have to push the bike to the shop.. lucky nearby only.. then rain low on petrol.. reach work late.. wet and hungry... lucky boss good mood :p hahaha

lovells19 said:
hope it was a good trip for all. i know some are not happy with the arrangement. i apologies on behalf of the dive shop, but weather wise we really can't do much.

From what I had understand from some old fishermen, you need not wait until June, just try to plan your trip after the Chinese Ching Ming, water conditions are normally better ;)

lovells19 said:
i last nite drenched in rain, after supper go back also drenched in rain, no kisses :( keke

this morning drench in rain, tire flat in the rain... have to push the bike to the shop.. lucky nearby only.. then rain low on petrol.. reach work late.. wet and hungry... lucky boss good mood :p hahaha

hmm.. no kisses?? ;) :bsmilie:

hope no more heavy rain soon ... last week was good! how come this week become so different..

Goondoo said:
From what I had understand from some old fishermen, you need not wait until June, just try to plan your trip after the Chinese Ching Ming, water conditions are normally better ;)

ya i heard about that too... from my mama,. haha... so when is Ching Ming ah?

golly... just woke up about half an hour ago.... :embrass:

weatherwise, i think i now a bit better than my previous dive trip (#2), because i can tahan slightly more tekan conditions than the near perfect conditions then, but sadly last time i didn't know what to use other than "P"rofessional mode ;) very thankful to Desmond, Kelvin, Jason for their shooting tips (like the f/5.6, 1/125s failsafe macro setting).

oddly, the f/5.6, 1/125s, iso100 settings gave me a fair lot of underexposure, must be my lack of closing up to the subjects. the photos i posted on my site are all postprocessed, some of them are waaaaay too cyan/greenish. bobian la, newbie uw photog here :embrass:

i'm very proud to be the Ah Gong to gather a group of supportive photographers with a diving problem... erm, no, should be divers with a photography problem :bsmilie: the discussion we had up to 1am on saturday night highlighted how observant all of you were (sorry ah, i blind to a lot of things after i up-the-boat), as well as being concerned with malpractices or erronous (sp?) stuff done.

and beivied.... your report has to be an article WITH photos one hor... hahhaa

jason, now i think we all waiting for a common log to copy into the dive log book :bsmilie:

notes:
Renggis, not Ringgis. too much of The Ring? :D

sightings
boxfish (if i didn't parchiao)
stonefish http://sehsuan.clubsnap.org/uwcs/p3070141.htm
cuttlefish
barracuda
jacks
barracuda (dont know what species)
plenty of funny colored nudis
some funny longsnout fish http://sehsuan.clubsnap.org/uwcs/p3060129.htm
peppermint stars
cushion stars
giant clams (yumyum?)
batfish
BIG brain corals
staghorns (orr, so this one knock buay see one...)
lizardfish
different anemonefish/clownfish
moray
crown o' thorns (EWWW!)
plenty of wrasses
medusa (at the pub/bar) :D

only major complaint i have - too much ciggie smoke after i come up the boat almost mabok... :cry:

jimmy, jia you ok... ;)

hey you asked me about the photography thing also hor.. how come never include my name! ;(

beivied said:
hey you asked me about the photography thing also hor.. how come never include my name! ;(

ORRR!! paiseh paiseh!

because you couldn't figure out if iso64, 1/100s, f/6.3 was more exposure or less exposure than iso100, 1/125s, f/5.6... teeheehee. i was stressed out during saturday night dinner trying to figure out this (ask jimmy) also with the apparent distance from the subject.... :bsmilie:

heeheehee, sorry ah, me predominant land photographer mar, some things i have to stress myself out to do one :D

hmm left my log with her :p ops

anyway this is recap

1st day
1st dive
soyak
1044am 55min dive
max depth 8m

2nd
Tulai
1345 i think 51min dive
max depth 15m

3rd
bird **** island malang rock
1745 60min dive
max depth 10m

4th night dive
soyak
1945 40min dive
max depth 8m

2nd day
1st dive
Labas
0945 not sure 50min dive
max depth 11m

2nd dive
renggis
around 11am 50min or so
max depth 13m

damn safety dive haha all less then 20m, anyway nothing much to see after 20m.

wah piang you guys sit until 1am! i was knocked out by 11pm i think.. damn tired. *Salute*

same here lah i still got tonnes to learn haha.. just trial and error lor.. shoot and shoot good one keep bad one also keep haha. can refer back for lesson mah :p

Status
Not open for further replies.