Using Photo-Tent to Document my memorabilia

For 2017, I want to document all my memorabilia and valuables (gold coins, rings) with my K7 and likely using my 30mm prime lens. I seek advice from all the sifus here on your experience and advice, before I start the project. With the photos, easier to put them together for the next generation, as to what to pass on. I have a photo tent which I bought, but I don't have any special light. I do have tripod and flash. Awaiting feedback from all the gurus.

For 2017, I want to document all my memorabilia and valuables (gold coins, rings) with my K7 and likely using my 30mm prime lens. I seek advice from all the sifus here on your experience and advice, before I start the project. With the photos, easier to put them together for the next generation, as to what to pass on. I have a photo tent which I bought, but I don't have any special light. I do have tripod and flash. Awaiting feedback from all the gurus.

I doubt you can do much with your 30mm.Is it the old pentax one or old sigma

version? It's basically the magnification ratio or plainly speaking how much

space the subject occupy a apsc frame.There are a few methods:

1. Reversing ring adapter where adapter screw into filter thread ring and

lens is in reverse.Good only for metal barrel lens but if plastic one may

strain or brake lens if heavy.Again I don't know how much the subject can

fill frame.Of course everything is manual.

2. Close up lens attachment, try +3/4 diopter screwed to lens filter

ring.This is the easiest way relatively cost effective but if you fussy about

image quality.Normally 49mm or 52mm but if larger may be difficult or non

existant item.

3. Macro lens, 50/55mm or longer depending on working distance.Extra cost.

4. A set of macro extension tubes manual or auto.Most probably get you the

magnification ratio required.Any "normal lens" will do or longer if adventurous.

Other than that lighting/exposure may have to experiment,trial n error.Please research online tutorials.

PS on camera flash may be impractical (coverage/blocking too near) so need to be off camera depending on flash and camera body capability or use wireless trigger.

Or table top lamps florescent/incandesant/halogen is possible with correct white balance.
You are not do pro work hor?

Last edited:
Thanks. No pro lah; just document for my family to know what the valuables are. I do have a 100mm macro. Will this work?

Yes..may be better also for larger items (working distance).;)
Most likely you may be working from floor rather than table top
because of longer focal length.

Last edited:
You mentioned coins and other stuff. Just take note that with items with reflective surfaces, it is better to use small softboxes instead to create the reflections you desire on these surfaces. also some white and black cards will help.

existing lenses are good enough. On board flash is sufficient. For closer subjects, shinny surfaces, probably some styrofoam plate, char kway teow plate infront of the lens to diffuse the light;) Ofcourse have many different ways i am sure. ;)

From starry, starry night.:bsmilie:

otc