Using Old OM Accessories on Newer System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
Hi Oly guys,

I have a old T20 flash that is mend for the older OM series, just wondering is there an adaptor to use it on my Oly 5050z? Its usable now but no TTL, so I have to adjust the camera setting to compensate the flash(its too powerful!).

I can see that the pins are different. Is there any adaptor to convert the old flash to the newer Oly hot-shoe?

I actually want to use it as an off shoe flash for Macro shoot.

Thankyou very much
Max 2.8

Max 2.8 said:
Hi Oly guys,

I have a old T20 flash that is mend for the older OM series, just wondering is there an adaptor to use it on my Oly 5050z? Its usable now but no TTL, so I have to adjust the camera setting to compensate the flash(its too powerful!).

I can see that the pins are different. Is there any adaptor to convert the old flash to the newer Oly hot-shoe?

I actually want to use it as an off shoe flash for Macro shoot.

Thankyou very much
Max 2.8

Hello Max 2.8,

Olympus has altered their TTL pins positions between their flash & digital camera bodies, no cables or connectors I have nor searched for bridges the pin position difference. I too have no solution to using old Oly flashes in TTL mode. The T20 has two AUTO modes of operation @ F4/F8 (ISO100) try using F4 & varying your 5050 apertures (stopping down) in Manual or Aperture priority to approximate flash control at your common macro operating distrances as a workaround.

You can use Olys CB05 off shoe cord for remote flash trigger using the central pin only. I'm sure this basic mode of flash triggering exists in 3rd party off-shoe solutions.

Hope this helps,

Rgds,

Thanks for your help, will search for the off shoe cord. Any idea how much does one cost?

Max 2.8 said:
Thanks for your help, will search for the off shoe cord. Any idea how much does one cost?

Hello Max 2.8

If you're refering to the CB-05 cord, it's rather costly at around $90+. I was told Canon's flash cord works as well from threads in dpreview but I have no price info. Given that you're reusing an old T series flash, the cord does seem expensive relative to the flash in use. I think it's justified if you're using Oly's digicam TTL-compatible FL series flashes.

The CB-05 has a socket that allows mounting the remote shoe & flash on a tripod.

Coiled but extends to 1 meter in length, it's suited for macro but a little short for studio use.

Hope this helps.

Hi Chancy,

You are right, alittle too ex, Canon ones also around $80-90. Not worth it.

Maybe with use slave, no TTL but save money.

Max 2.8 said:
Hi Chancy,

You are right, alittle too ex, Canon ones also around $80-90. Not worth it.

Maybe with use slave, no TTL but save money.

Hello Max 2.8,

I had slave triggering problems when using my FL50 to trigger a remote Metz flash, could have been pre-flash signals as culprits. Using the PC sync cord on my E1 for triggering solved the problem. You may wish to look for a hot-shoe triggered sync cord.

Do consider this or conduct a test in your search for a solution.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.