Using Lock&Lock as DryCabinet?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loose silica gel will scratch the camera when pack in mobile box. Use thirsty hippo packet form is better.

Wow...

Imagine the size of the lock&lock you have to get before you can fit in your thirsty hippo and camera... LOL!!!

I bought a Hydrometer from the DIY shop and place it inside the Lock and Lock Container and monitor the Humility. Once the RH reaching 60, I will replace the Silica gels. The silica gels will normally need replacement after opening and closing for more than 10 times.

I do not have space to get a Dry Cab so this is my best option.

Erm. The correct RH% value to store your photographic equipment is 45-55%, not 60%.

As I've said, there's no such thing as "overkill" when you want to have a peace of mind that your equipment will be fungal free. You can't guarantee a regulated and controlled RH% of 45-55% with silica gel with a tupperware. Let's face it.

Aren't we all living on this wonderful humid country called Singapore? Unless your room is air conditioned 24/7.

P&S cameras are less susceptible to fungal growth because of smaller lens area, and the fact that their optics are less able and likely to be exposed to the elements. Furthermore, we tend to bring out and use P&S cameras more, so they are more open to climate change.

With regards to shops, they are usually air conditioned, and 24/7.

Not trying to be difficult or arguing, but shopping centres switch off their aircon after shopping hours.

Also, in aircon environment, with the airon on and off, condensation even creates more moisture in the air, which is even worst off than our humble house without aircon or controlled environment...

Just comments, no harm...

I used Lock and Lock for by D700 and my lens. I got those silica gels with small containers sold at Cathay Photos and place it in the Locl&Lock container. And I get the large quantity of silica gels sold in big container for a few dallars and replace those pink silica gels from those small containers. I never recycle them.

I bought a Hydrometer from the DIY shop and place it inside the Lock and Lock Container and monitor the Humility. Once the RH reaching 60, I will replace the Silica gels. The silica gels will normally need replacement after opening and closing for more than 10 times.

I do not have space to get a Dry Cab so this is my best option.

Yes and as not many are rich man's son here. So while those can afford to spend on multiple gears and store them in dry cabinet.

Some people here may just as well afford 1 cam and 1-2lenses and since TS has brought up this question, we should also help him to think of a budget way to store his gears as well.

Dry cabinet is good but not everyone can have it, whether $ or space contraints...so give alternatives and not just jumping straight to conclusion like ---"just buy dry cabinet, containers are useless"

In the first place, dry cabinets are available afforably in modern times. Our grandfather/father times also use silica gel and containers to store their cameras/lenses.

Last edited:
Erm. The correct RH% value to store your photographic equipment is 45-55%, not 60%.

Yap...that's why I type reaching 60. I will change before that.

If you dont want to spend on a dry cabinet then maybe you can buy a dry box? It wont be a lot more expensive than the lock&lock and also you can monitor the RH%.

Even if you only have 1 or 2 lens with a budget DSLR, it can easily cost you $1000... more or less. You can save $60 by not investing in a dry cabinet, but ask yourself if it's worth the risk.

My personal experience: I had a EOS50 + 3 cheap lens, that was 10 years ago. I uses a dry-box with Silica gel, heat it when turn pink etc... If I work on the calculations, I probably uses $30-60 all in all including the dry box, silica gel replacements... And what is the cost I paid ? All my 3 cheap lens got fungus and Fogged. Can't even sell them in B&S section because no body want them. My cost savings ? -600 easily.

That was actually one of the best things that happened to me, because it teaches me the lesson of look things in perspective, and avoided a lot of future pit fall in penny wise and pound foolish.

Some people learn from other's advice, but some must learn the lesson themself. You choose your own path.

I was once a user of a airtight box + silica gel + hydrometer for about 6 months, until i decided to change to a E26D Dry cabinet. Reason was it was almost impossible to maintain the RH @ 40-50%. It always drops to around 35%.

Thirsty hippo just sucks too much moisture (20%+)

In the end, it was just too much hassle maintaining the gel, monitoring the RH, etc etc.

If you have the time daily to do that, i do not see anything wrong with the box + gel setup.

PS: my setup is 2 lenses + 1 Body + 1 flash.

Yes and as not many are rich man's son here. So while those can afford to spend on multiple gears and store them in dry cabinet.

Some people here may just as well afford 1 cam and 1-2lenses and since TS has brought up this question, we should also help him to think of a budget way to store his gears as well.

Dry cabinet is good but not everyone can have it, whether $ or space contraints...so give alternatives and not just jumping straight to conclusion like ---"just buy dry cabinet, containers are useless"

In the first place, dry cabinets are available afforably in modern times. Our grandfather/father times also use silica gel and containers to store their cameras/lenses.

Sorry about here... But spending over $1k for a DSLR with basic lenses is not considered a rich man's son?

As some mentioned.. Spending over $1k and can't afford $100 or so on a dry cabinet.. I don't see a logic.. not being rude.

I just bought myself a new DSLR over a week ago. And since now I am kinda using it to play around, I have thought of getting perhaps a 30L or so dry cabinet. That will be useful when you are not using it when time doesn't permit you to play with it.

Your first statement is already flawed. Not meaning to argue either but it simply does not make sense. If you can foot the bill for a set up that costs easily 1k, what is an additional $100+ (and minimal electricity bills) to ensure no further expenditure needs to be put in place to

1) remove fungus
2) replace elements that may have been damaged by fungus
3) purchase silica gel
4) reheat silica gel

I am not trying to jump to conclusions or anything. However, one should try and look past the immediate budget constraints to the longer term costs. A silica gel dry box will ultimately cost you more (not even counting liabilities from fungal growth). Since dry cabinets are available for very affordable rates, isn't there even more motivation to get one?

Trying to say our grandfathers used silica gels and dry boxes is a moot point. We all might as well also go back to travelling the roads via trishaw. It's a viable solution that doesn't cost much too. When technology is made readily available to make your life easier, don't make life harder for yourself.

Also, in aircon environment, with the airon on and off, condensation even creates more moisture in the air, which is even worst off than our humble house without aircon or controlled environment...

Don't understand your logic of condensation create more moisture in the air...

Condensation happens when you have moisture in the air get in contact with a physical surface with lower temperature, causes condensation. In a shopping mall, assuming your humidity is 60%, when air con is off, you don't see condensation causes the humidity to goes up to 90%... where does the moisture comes from ? It may creep up higher as moisture from external environment or some other sources (a pot of water shop owner is boiling to make his coffee... for example) changes it.

Realistically, it's fair to assume most shopping mall will mantain relatively lower humidity level then normal room environment.

Also, most of the shops that sell camera will keep their equipments in box, wrap in plastic bag, even after demo, that itself should ensure that minimal humidity impact.

Anyway, if you think otherwise, feel free to keep your lenses in cool & dry places in open (in a naturally humid country). I for one will not buy anything from you if that is how you're treating your lenses.

Trying to say our grandfathers used silica gels and dry boxes is a moot point. We all might as well also go back to travelling the roads via trishaw. It's a viable solution that doesn't cost much too. When technology is made readily available to make your life easier, don't make life harder for yourself.

And my grandfater don't have a camera, and my father camera is full of fungus... And they were both poor, and I have a dry cabinet.

Go figure....

And my grandfater don't have a camera, and my father camera is full of fungus... And they were both poor, and I have a dry cabinet.

Go figure....

'Nuff said. :bsmilie:

Sorry about here... But spending over $1k for a DSLR with basic lenses is not considered a rich man's son?

As some mentioned.. Spending over $1k and can't afford $100 or so on a dry cabinet.. I don't see a logic.. not being rude.

I just bought myself a new DSLR over a week ago. And since now I am kinda using it to play around, I have thought of getting perhaps a 30L or so dry cabinet. That will be useful when you are not using it when time doesn't permit you to play with it.

I like your nick... YNWA dude! :thumbsup:
Most newbie like me tend to spend ridiculously on some stuffs like expensive B+W UV filter, ultra cute but tank-built camera bag, light yet sophisticated tripod, but don't want to spend on some essential stuffs like dry cabinet. No offence - I was like that until this forum opened my eyes.
Nothing wrong with buying those expensive stuffs, but there are some essential items which needs to take priority.
A $100+ filter (while we can get a good $30), a $100+ camera bag (while $50 is probably good enough), a $200+ tripod (while $100+ is more than what we need)... but have objection on $100 dry-cabinet.
If we budget/plan for these "a bit more expensive" stuffs, buying dry-cabinet is a no brainer.

My 2 cents.

long term i would advice drycabi, if u are like going to be the type to buy and sale after a few mths then go for the box + silca option...

you spend thousands on a camera set and you're stingy to spend hundreds to get a dry cabinet?

you're no different from people who can afford big BMW/Mercs and don't want to spent few cents for parking

Haha, there's a Jaguar that's always parked illegaly by my office. Every time I walk by I think how much they spent on the car and won't pay for parking...

Don't understand your logic of condensation create more moisture in the air...

Condensation happens when you have moisture in the air get in contact with a physical surface with lower temperature, causes condensation. In a shopping mall, assuming your humidity is 60%, when air con is off, you don't see condensation causes the humidity to goes up to 90%... where does the moisture comes from ? It may creep up higher as moisture from external environment or some other sources (a pot of water shop owner is boiling to make his coffee... for example) changes it.

Realistically, it's fair to assume most shopping mall will mantain relatively lower humidity level then normal room environment.

Also, most of the shops that sell camera will keep their equipments in box, wrap in plastic bag, even after demo, that itself should ensure that minimal humidity impact.

Anyway, if you think otherwise, feel free to keep your lenses in cool & dry places in open (in a naturally humid country). I for one will not buy anything from you if that is how you're treating your lenses.

By the way, I am using a dry cabinet myself...

I am trying to give opinions to the TS that using containers and silica gel is another alternative and not to put down all those who are using this setup.

Argue as you all may like, but i really wonder what's the big fuss about getting heated in these generic discussions.

Peace peace brothers...

Your first statement is already flawed. Not meaning to argue either but it simply does not make sense. If you can foot the bill for a set up that costs easily 1k, what is an additional $100+ (and minimal electricity bills) to ensure no further expenditure needs to be put in place to

1) remove fungus
2) replace elements that may have been damaged by fungus
3) purchase silica gel
4) reheat silica gel

I am not trying to jump to conclusions or anything. However, one should try and look past the immediate budget constraints to the longer term costs. A silica gel dry box will ultimately cost you more (not even counting liabilities from fungal growth). Since dry cabinets are available for very affordable rates, isn't there even more motivation to get one?

This is not a debating forum and I am not intending to.

If you have made yourself clear and state these facts in earlier posts to TS, then we will have no more further discussions and you win here...

We are trying to post our views and give options to someone who seek opinions, and I am trying to give mine as much as you give yours, no prize for who wins it.

Anyway, as i said earlier, i use dry cabinet myself as well, but that doesn't mean I do not agree to silica gel/container setup.

Last edited:

A used DSLR with kit lens can be bought as little as $500 which is affordable to almost everyone.

But I agree with you by using dry cabinet, let the thing handle all the humidity issues for you while you enjoy the camera.

When I bought my first SLR 10 over years ago, I was using Tupperware with silica gel. Back then, I was using film container (with many small holes) to store the the silica gel.

It worked very well, provided that you consistently change the silica gel when it is time to do so. When traveling, I'll put the film container in my camera bag. I just sold my SLR few months ago (without any fungus :)).

Now that I'm using a dry cabinet, I'll never look back (although it was working very well). I have more higher priority matters to take care of than to monitor the silica gel ;).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.