Using Lock&Lock as DryCabinet?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me i am still using a tupperware with slica gel bcos i have no place to put a dry cabinet.
From a tupperware user POV

Pro
-can use super mini tupper ware <20L if u dun have a lot of gear like me so save space
-No need waste electrcity

Con
-Slica gel as said above toxic when heated and trust me the smell is strong!
-Spend gas or eletric heating = same as eletric bill for dry cabinet
-Troublesome have to monitor the slica gel
-Will consider before take the camera out of the box everything as open = slica gel pink
-messy

So as u can see even as a tupperware user i support dry cabinet also tupperware is only use if u have no space like me or us just wanna buy and sell. Find i place i sure buy a dry cabinet 1.

By the way, I am using a dry cabinet myself...

I am trying to give opinions to the TS that using containers and silica gel is another alternative and not to put down all those who are using this setup.

Argue as you all may like, but i really wonder what's the big fuss about getting heated in these generic discussions.

Peace peace brothers...

You're right in that there alternatives that can certainly work if you're willing to "invest" in the time to maintain them. I think that's the crux of this... if you're trying to save money by using another solution, is the time needed to maintain it really worth the savings? (Not counting the time to go out and to actually buy silica gel etc) With the work life here, at least to me, time outside of work is pretty precious. You plug in a dry cabinet and forget it... a pretty easy solution that isn't really that expensive. (That's if you have room for a dry cabinet.)

Last edited:
Pro
-can use super mini tupper ware <20L if u dun have a lot of gear like me so save space
-No need waste electrcity

Con
-Slica gel as said above toxic when heated and trust me the smell is strong!
-Spend gas or eletric heating = same as eletric bill for dry cabinet
-Troublesome have to monitor the slica gel
-Will consider before take the camera out of the box everything as open = slica gel pink
-messy

Actually, the electrical consumption for your dry cabinet probably costs less than gas or heating to "revive" the gel, and c'mon, how much space can you save? A small dry cabinet is less than a meter tall, less than half a meter wide and long.

I've used the dry box scenario when dry cabinets were not invented yet, and trust me, with the invention fo the dry cabinet, no one will ever want to go back to the dry box, no matter how little equipment you have. THe dry cabinet is so much better, and on the long run, costs less than silica gel.

Also, even thoughI was pretty diligent with the dry box, you can't be 100% dilligent, and let me tell you that when I finally switched over to the dry cab when it was first invented, checking the lenses in the dry box showed that some already had fungus.

Hence, just go dry cab. You will never look back. I doubt there's anyone here who can tell me that he has looked back.

Please apologise for my stubborn after reading so many posts.. i am definitely need a dry cabinet but not a Lock&Lock container...

Thanks for all the valuable advise!!! You all are the best!:D

Will there be any concern if you place the dry-cab in the bedroom,
where you turn-on the air-con everyday ?
As compared to putting it somewhere without air-con.

Tks

Not only is a dry cabinet meant for camera bodies and lenses, mine brother is a DJ and keeps his personal vinyl records in the dry cabinet alongside mine equipments. ;)

No concerns, just do it. You might need to adjust the settings for certain types of dry cabinets since the ambient RH is lower. Apart from that there's nothing special or to worry.

if anyone does not want to buy a dry cabinet, just bring your camera and lens out for a shoot everyday :)
my f801s from the 90s is still fungus free and i only bought a dry cabinet in 2004

If your air con is on every day for 24 hours, then you don't need a dry cabinet hehe, cos air con is dryer then dry cabinet.

I have this issue cos on weekends, my air con is on every waking hour, and hence, the dry cabi gets too dry; dropping to 30+%. Then I need to put a cup of water inside to add some humidity back then stabilise :p

Tks

I like your nick... YNWA dude! :thumbsup:
Most newbie like me tend to spend ridiculously on some stuffs like expensive B+W UV filter, ultra cute but tank-built camera bag, light yet sophisticated tripod, but don't want to spend on some essential stuffs like dry cabinet. No offence - I was like that until this forum opened my eyes.
Nothing wrong with buying those expensive stuffs, but there are some essential items which needs to take priority.
A $100+ filter (while we can get a good $30), a $100+ camera bag (while $50 is probably good enough), a $200+ tripod (while $100+ is more than what we need)... but have objection on $100 dry-cabinet.
If we budget/plan for these "a bit more expensive" stuffs, buying dry-cabinet is a no brainer.

My 2 cents.

YNWA too

what u have mentioned is true enough..
sometimes u tend to spend more on certain things that u may overlook at other important factors. Why not get one.. leave it there to do all the work. as mentioned.. certain expensive loved items need some special care. don't wanna let your heart break right.

I will be hunting for one once i am back from my holidays..

Easing off a bit, and apologies to bro Calebk and Chopper if my comments sounded harsh today....

If you are married, I think the important factor for getting a dry cabinet is to get "approval" from your CFO for the space to be allocated and it also gives them a very clear indication that you will be collecting more lenses/equipment with the addtional cabinet space available....:bsmilie:

I was once a happy Lock & Lock user when I first started in this hobby. What I wanted was a cheap alternative to a dry cabinet. Back then I was using a cheap second hand $250 SLR and hence spending $100 for a dry cabinet don't justify for it.

I upgraded to a 60L dry cabinet about 2years later with my first DSLR and has never looked back. A dry cabinet is durable and stable and it saves you time from reheating the beads once every few months.

Try saving $1 a day and you should soon see a new dry cabinet in your room in 3mths time :)

Would you like to look for dry cabinet. Maybe can consider AIPO Dry Cabinet. Which is digital controller and digital display.

If interested, you can drop me email at CrazyPhotoDryCabinet@gmail.com or SMS to 9007 5682.

There are few models in offer and new shipment will free with "Wave Sponge"!!!! Worth to go for it.

Easing off a bit, and apologies to bro Calebk and Chopper if my comments sounded harsh today....

If you are married, I think the important factor for getting a dry cabinet is to get "approval" from your CFO for the space to be allocated and it also gives them a very clear indication that you will be collecting more lenses/equipment with the addtional cabinet space available....:bsmilie:

Ouverture, hope you don't mind on some of my comment. As mentioned in one of my post, I had bad experience myself that causes me to lost 3 of my lens due to my own cheapo approach on dry-box+silica... really hope that others don't have to go through the same painful process.

Like one comment among the post, it all boils down to discipline. If you check your silica gel regularly, change them regularly, ensure your drybox seal is tight regularly, or take out your camera/lens to shoot regularly (fungus like static, humid air, so by taking lens out and shoot, it stir the air flow and discourage fungus growth), that theoretically will not give you any problem. And my problem was I'm not discipline enough, and I doubt many people will be discipline enough. So there are 3 likely outcome:

1. you use drybox+silica, after a while, lost interest in photography, sold your equipment. Case closed.

2. You use drybox+silica, after a while, need more space, get a dry cabinet, happily ever after.

3. You use drybox+silica, sloppy like me and not mantain, your lens is all fungus... you still like photography, you get a dry cabinet, learn the lesson and come to clubsnap and warn the rest to get a dry cabinet.

All of us who commented with good intention. No hard feelings...:cool:

PS: and by the way, I'm married, and the trick is make sure there are some prenapture agreement on some financial leeway & autonomy. And occasionally pamper your CFO with the glass they like (which may not be as expensive as some of our glass...) ;)

No worries bro. I'm speaking from experience of an inherited camera that was kept in one of those dry boxes with silica gel in it. It was a traumatic experience looking through the viewfinder and not seeing a clear image at all due to all the fungal growth.

Haha.

Anyway, about that CFO approval, I think it might do you better to get a small (but deep) cabinet. That way, it looks like there's not much space for expansion.:bsmilie:

should I buy an electrical dry box ( 16L ) ? It costs only 30USD ~ 45 SGD, and I think it is quite portable for me ( I have to travel back to my home country at least 2 months a year ). I use my body and lenses maybe 1-2 days once ...

should I buy an electrical dry box ( 16L ) ? It costs only 30USD ~ 45 SGD, and I think it is quite portable for me ( I have to travel back to my home country at least 2 months a year ). I use my body and lenses maybe 1-2 days once ...

Erm, if you are thinking of shipping it back...hmm.....:dunno:

First thing is the weight. Second is the fragility of the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.