USB Cable for E-500: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why sell?

I'm trying to find a reason to buy...and u are selling? switching camps?

yzr500abe said:
Why sell?

I'm trying to find a reason to buy...and u are selling? switching camps?

E-1. Need battery grip because of the large lenses that I have.

Hacker said:
E-1. Need battery grip because of the large lenses that I have.
wah! hopping on the E1 bandwagon. that's nice. nice big happy E1 family! :D

the batt grip is absolutely lovely. Get the leather strap too. It's a bit of a rip off for a piece of leather but the feel is superb.

yzr500abe said:
I'm no problems with OLY camera's built and performance....but i'm simply pissed on why they made their system so proprietory..ie the 4/3 system, e500 usb...

Not withstanding, the quality of their UW housing is in question...and their product service support...

If i were to get a DSLR ...i'll really need to find a good reason to convince myself to get another OLY.

so which brand is not proprietory? from what i see, every brand has their own proprietory set of accessories & format. 4/3 ratio is more or less the same as medium format, the latter being bigger in size thats all.

the way i see it, as long as the cam & lens have no issue at all, thats a good start. UW housing, can always look for better brand like Ikelite. if u want more info about UW stuff, i suggest u drop raycsk a PM.

as for accessories quality in question, which brand doesn't have it? flash build quality crappy, batt grip crappy, remote cable crappy.... etc. as far as i remember, all brands have their fair share of problems (product & service). thats why i wud go for a brand w/o cam & lens combo issue, thats much more useful then any accessories in question.

u dun need any good reason to convince urself to get Oly products. all u need to do is look at the problems from other brands & see if u can live with them. once u find something u can compromise with, then thats ur brand.

good luck with ur search. ;)

nightpiper said:
so which brand is not proprietory? from what i see, every brand has their own proprietory set of accessories & format. 4/3 ratio is more or less the same as medium format, the latter being bigger in size thats all.

the way i see it, as long as the cam & lens have no issue at all, thats a good start. UW housing, can always look for better brand like Ikelite. if u want more info about UW stuff, i suggest u drop raycsk a PM.

as for accessories quality in question, which brand doesn't have it? flash build quality crappy, batt grip crappy, remote cable crappy.... etc. as far as i remember, all brands have their fair share of problems (product & service). thats why i wud go for a brand w/o cam & lens combo issue, thats much more useful then any accessories in question.

u dun need any good reason to convince urself to get Oly products. all u need to do is look at the problems from other brands & see if u can live with them. once u find something u can compromise with, then thats ur brand.

good luck with ur search. ;)

Hey nightpiper, that's a good piece of advice...but would you mind listing down the problems of other brands....everyone is like saying...this brand is how good how good...not the problems faced with the brand....details appreciated

yzr500abe said:
Hey nightpiper, that's a good piece of advice...but would you mind listing down the problems of other brands....everyone is like saying...this brand is how good how good...not the problems faced with the brand....details appreciated

i have already listed a few. its up to u to see the kind of problems they have. i know of people so very blinded by brands that they refuse to acknoledge any problems or whatsoever. i dun know what kind of person u r so its better for u to find out urself in other forums. like i said, there's no 100% satisfaction, juz ur degree of compromise. open ur eyes & free ur mind, then u will see whats around. after this, ask urself what u can live with & then make that purchase decision. i can also tell u how good how good Oly is (obviously since i chose it), but it wudn't be u deciding anymore wud it? :angel:

yzr500abe said:

Let me give you an example, got a used s3pro body a couple of days back. Found 2 dust spots :) cleaned it but it is something you HAVE to deal with other brands. The main problem for me switching to other brands is the EXPENSIVE lens. If you want to get a nikon/canon f2.8 zoom.... it will COST MUCH more than the f2.8-f3.5 olympus zooms.

For $$ and performance, Oly's E-500 wins both areas hands down it you get the 11-22 and the 14-54. For the tele, you can have the 50-200. These equipment alone will get you very, very good and capable shots.

If you wanna go higher up, then the Oly lenses are sometimes twice what the competitors cost.

nightpiper said:
i have already listed a few. its up to u to see the kind of problems they have. i know of people so very blinded by brands that they refuse to acknoledge any problems or whatsoever. i dun know what kind of person u r so its better for u to find out urself in other forums. like i said, there's no 100% satisfaction, juz ur degree of compromise. open ur eyes & free ur mind, then u will see whats around. after this, ask urself what u can live with & then make that purchase decision. i can also tell u how good how good Oly is (obviously since i chose it), but it wudn't be u deciding anymore wud it? :angel:

I'm some1 who don't like to listen to all the nice things...tell me some bad stuff i'll be more than happy. Only then i'll be able to weigh the pros and cons.

Had some experience in playing with P&S and prosumers of various brands...but had only been shooting on D70 though i do not own 1.

Thanks bro, u have been much of assistance.

Is the e500 w/o the focus light a problem> what's the problems faced?

In low light conditions, you can turn on the flash assist. The flash will fire short bursts to help focusing. But that can be slow at times. If you do not want to turn on the flash assist, focusing is faster but don't think its as fast as the 350D.

Some people out there find that focusing for the e500 is abit slow. I think do think its a bit slow as compared to the 350D. However, I've gotten used to it and it made me become more skillful at manual focusing.

Another problem you might want to hear is that the viewfinder is awfully small. I'm waiting for an attachment (from Oly - called the ME-1) that can be attached to the viewfinder to make the view bigger (1.2x magnification).

Noise at higher ISO is also not as good as the 350D, even with the Noise Reduction feature turned on. But the noise difference is minimal.

I personally think the flash popup is not high enough and the taking close up shots causes a shadow to appear at the center bottom of the pic (shadow from the lens). Though it may be me being a super lousy shooter (still learning - anyone care to advise me on this?)

There are no Image Stabiliser lenses available from Oly but in my opinion (and alot of others including those with IS lenses), you don't really need them. Just a good technique on holding the cam, breathing, standing (or squatting), and pressing the shutter (same as firing a rifle lah).

I will post more "problems" if I think of them. However, there are a whole host of features that are better than the 350D but I better not start a war here. Its all my opinion.

yzr500abe said:
I'm some1 who don't like to listen to all the nice things...tell me some bad stuff i'll be more than happy. Only then i'll be able to weigh the pros and cons.

Had some experience in playing with P&S and prosumers of various brands...but had only been shooting on D70 though i do not own 1.

Thanks bro, u have been much of assistance.

Is the e500 w/o the focus light a problem> what's the problems faced?

Here are the cons:

(1) Noise if greater than ISO400. (I have not shot anything more than ISO100)
(2) Expensive accessories if you wanna go to the pro series. (Very $$$, some lenses cost twice as much as the competitors).
(3) FL50 flash is ex but very good. There is the FL-36 but battery life is limited.

hey guys, great stuff!

Keep it coming! Very informative...sure beats singing of praises anytime

Cheers

yzr500abe said:
hey guys, great stuff!

Keep it coming! Very informative...sure beats singing of praises anytime

Cheers

hahaha.. :) wierld guy? :think:

ok... my turn... got no wireless TTL flash!

But got wireless remote. Hahahaha....

Anyway, I'm looking at getting the FL-50 flash. Cost $640 so saving now. Agree with Hacker that the prices of the pro lenses are quite ex. Of course, if you have money.....

The Oly lens cap is also not the type that is center pinch. But most other lens caps are not built that way too. Hahaha.... And the more ex Oly lenses may be built that way. Don't have money so don't even dare to ask the shops to show me those ex lenses so don't know.

but anyway, olympus usb1.1 is slow and pointless to use.
might as well use a usb2.0 card reader, (20-30bucks). can read different cards summore.

how horrible is the noise? had a canon g3, the noise levels at iso400 were very unacceptable, i.e. very obvious dots, and hence also ugly printouts.

is the olympus e500 better? if it can generate a decent printout at iso800 i'd be pretty satisfied.

someitmes can choose to be creative within the technical limitations too, perhaps can venture into fine-art style shots, where the noise present will make it look 'arty' or so people say. haha. note how technical shortfalls become an art form; hmm.

realgar said:
but anyway, olympus usb1.1 is slow and pointless to use.
might as well use a usb2.0 card reader, (20-30bucks). can read different cards summore.

how horrible is the noise? had a canon g3, the noise levels at iso400 were very unacceptable, i.e. very obvious dots, and hence also ugly printouts.

is the olympus e500 better? if it can generate a decent printout at iso800 i'd be pretty satisfied.

someitmes can choose to be creative within the technical limitations too, perhaps can venture into fine-art style shots, where the noise present will make it look 'arty' or so people say. haha. note how technical shortfalls become an art form; hmm.
hi, realgar, i think the main purpose of the cable is not for transfering your images. it's for the upgrade of your camera and lenses' firmwares.

The noise is acceptable at ISO800 lah. Can definitely print and no obvious dots.

As for the USB1.1, I agree that its slow. That's why I use a card reader. Cable just keep there for fireware upgrades, which is the basis of this thread. :)

hmm...good point....better keep the cable properly...else it's gona be costly getting 1 :eek:

oh yar. sorry missed out the firmware upgrading part. yup that will be quite impt won't it.

perhaps they should allow copying of firmware to a compactflash/xD card and run the programme on the camera.

would save alot of trouble then.

but then, they wouldn't make money from the cable anymore. still, good customer service and customer oriented design would make a company more well loved and build brand loyalty. noneed so arrogant to play proprietary what, right?

major_tom said:
Thanks, r10. Much appreciated! Am in no rush to get one......
Hi,

Not sure if you got the cable already but while shopping in Funan few days back, I saw a similar cable in South Asia Computer. Go to the end of the shop, at the cable/accessories section, you will be able to find the 'digital camera USB cable', I think it will fit your E-500. If I remember correctly, it is about $18.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.