US soldier takes potshots at SAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
its true what he says, not really anything new. but they are nonetheless still valid points that he makes.

there is always a balance to be struck between training safety and having sufficiently realistic training. personally i feel the balance has now tipped too much in the former's favour.

unfortunately, given its unlikely we will be involved in any large scale operations and our peacekeeping operations tend to be of the "safer" variety, its hard to see what detrimental effect this actually has because there is no objective yardstick of measurement.

Actually what he wrote I feel exactly the same way.
2. Yes our Col Lim spoke up against the malay not being able to join the sensitive areas. However he merely talked about getting ranks and appointment but not the major factor which i suppose everyone knows. No racism remarks or sentiments here but I as a chinese i really feel fustrated that malays can't be commandos, arti (correct if i am wrong), pilot (got one only) etc...Don't understand why gov simply cannot place the trust in them or what..

My NSF days my fellow commanders were mainly colleagues, such nice people and I would say proficient too. Given all the restrictions the gov is disallowing much quality and fitness to flow into the rank and files of certain units as well as rank appointments. BMTC commander Col Ishak is one such fine example of an excellent malay commander yet I suppose he is the only Col rank malay around. There are more talents to be dug out I suppose but restrictions prevail, human potential denied.

Where I am working now, I meet alot of Pilots(I assume F16 pilots because of the badges?) and most of them are Chinese and a handful of Indians.

I have never met a malay pilot.

The only malay pilot I have heard of flies the Hercules. That's how high he can go I think.

OT abit, why do pilots love smoking Marlboro Ultra Lights?

Those are observations.. and I believe those observations are correct. I may not agree with the policy, like the many other policies they have in place, there MAY exist a valid purpose.

In time to come, the integration of our population racially should make obsolete that purpose. But this take time....

Where I am working now, I meet alot of Pilots(I assume F16 pilots because of the badges?) and most of them are Chinese and a handful of Indians.

The only malay pilot I have heard of flies the Hercules. That's how high he can go I think.

You in Tengah or Changi Airbase?

same view as me... but who you wanna Kamikaze for? hahaha.... singapore the plane ex leh
If in case war's on our doorsteps, I'll kamikaze on the enemy's HQ.

Well, u CAN make a glider loaded with bombs and grenades out of wood and paper. :thumbsup:

anyone can have an opinion, and in this case, it was Mr Walsh's.
I feel that it does have some "hurtful" truth in it.

He might not be the best qualified but he is right in some aspects...

We do have overly young officers, not by choice. Because of our NS system, we produce a
2nd LT in less than 1 year. Other countries even Taiwan with NS does it in 2. Our officers are young A lvl grads, how much maturity do you expect from them? It is just like what the US is facing now, they are asking what do you expect when you send 18 year olds into a war zone... they are sure to break down mentally sooner or later.

For the malays issue... I better keep quiet..... Later kanna ISA.....

let him take potshots la! US and singapore are allies! if we have problems, the mighty US army will come and save us! don't worry. ;) semper fi!!! gung ho!!!

history have always taught us to side with the winner, the winner writes the history books. :)

If in case war's on our doorsteps, I'll kamikaze on the enemy's HQ.

Well, u CAN make a glider loaded with bombs and grenades out of wood and paper. :thumbsup:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: , no war, 'WORLD PEACE"

Armed Forces & Society, Vol. 33, No. 2, 265-285 (2007)
DOI: 10.1177/0095327X06291854
© 2007 Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society

The Roar of the Lion City

Ethnicity, Gender, and Culture in the Singapore Armed Forces

Sean P. Walsh

[SIZE=-1]609 North Settlers Ct.,Warrington, PA, 18976; sean.walsh1@us.army.mil [/SIZE]

Although the Singapore Armed Forces is one of the most technologically advanced militaries in Southeast Asia, it suffers from a number of institutional weaknesses. Singapore's multiethnic but Chinese-dominated society and unique geographical and political characteristics result in challenges in both the recruitment and retention of high-quality personnel into the armed forces as well as in developing the proper role in the military for Singapore's Malay minority (whom the government historically has seen as a security risk but who also have a strong cultural inclination toward military service).

This article contends that in meeting these challenges, Singapore has reduced the effectiveness and professionalism of its military significantly by unwisely preventing Malay participation systematically in key areas of the armed forces, by limiting the positions women can hold in the military, and by using a promotion system that is based more on education and scholarships than on proven competence.

http://afs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/33/2/265

i don't want to go to Iraq & shoot innocent children.

Did the US soldiers shoot innocent children in Iraq? Where did you get that from? I would be interested to know.

WASHINGTON - Evidence collected on the deaths of 24 Iraqis in Haditha supports accusations that U.S. Marines deliberately shot the civilians, including unarmed women and children, a Pentagon official said Wednesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14150687/

Did the US soldiers shoot innocent children in Iraq? Where did you get that from? I would be interested to know.

Wow, that's cruel.
But I'm not sure if I could trust AP as a news source.

Pretty much out of the loop I guess. Not very interested in situation in Iraq you see.
Reuters have pretty much shattered all my confidence in honest reporting.

Maybe Pilots fly too much, thats why they feel too light to smoke a heavy one.. haha.. (no offense)

Well, having the article saying that we have malay "pilots" makes us think of the numbers really.

But just for a thought, our immediate neighbours can be very much our immediate threat as well. At that point when we are being attacked by anyone of them, don't think USA is fast enough to help us unless they got the teleporting machine... Furthermore, look at WW2 when the british left us to defend their home ground, its a lesson learnt that we should not depend on foreign forces.

If our nation island is situated beside China, things will change and move differently. Think about it. Its not about racism that simple...

Beware of the paper toothless tiger. Singaopre's SAF may not be tested in war but its Court can reach far and strike deep in enemy territories. Do not play play.

Status
Not open for further replies.