Urgent: Fuji F50fd, Fuji F31fd, or Canon IXUS series

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
I dropped my Canon IXUS 50 and the lens was spoilt. Need a replacement P&S urgently by next week.

After reading all the reviews, seems like Fuji F31fd is the 'best' P&S out there. However, it's discontinued and the only place that sells it is at Harvey at $499, which is the same price(actually a few dollars higher) as the F50fd.

I like my IXUS 50, particularly in the following aspects that I find important:
(1) Fast Focusing
(2) Minimal Shutter Lag
(3) Close focusing Macro Mode
Picture quality I find the IXUS 50 acceptable at ISO 50, which I shoot most of the time (actually not much choice, all other ISO are unacceptable).

I briefly tried the Fuji F50fd in the shop, and I find it's focusing and shutter lag ok, but I just tested about 2 shots and stopped after the saleperson showed me the black face, so I really have not done a proper test. I also tried the macro mode, by pressing the flower icon, and it seemed like the F50fd cannot focus at the 7cm minimal distance, more like 15cm. Is there another setting that needs to be done on the F50fd to achieve the close focusing?

Can anyone with experience on the Fuji F50fd/F31fd and Canon IXUS series comment whether can the Fuji perform on-par or better than the Canon IXUS series in the focus speed, shutter lag, and macro mode? Picture quality so long as comparable at ISO 50 I'll be satisfied, anything better will be a bonus.

If both F50fd and F31fd are better than IXUS, then I might just get F50fd, since it supports SD, has more functions, and slightly cheaper.

Actually there is the F40fd to consider too, but if the above 2 models is already better, will prefer them as they have aperture/shutter control.

Oh, another thing, the writing speed of the IXUS 50 is fast(it's 5MP I know), and I read that the Fuji F50fd/F31fd takes longer to write. It's not a major consideration to me, but can anyone give me a comparison?

Thanks.

Regards,
Tan

can consider panasonic lx or fx series if you shoot mainly at iso50. they probably the best especially the lx-series when it comes to day light photo

can consider panasonic lx or fx series if you shoot mainly at iso50. they probably the best especially the lx-series when it comes to day light photo

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've considered Panasonic too, but after reading reviewed, the image quality of Panasonic seems to be worst than the Canon Ixus.

Also, shoot at ISO 50 because there is no choice. :)

i called today too to HN....but they tell me no more stock....and only left display set in Bukit Panjang.....can u tell me your source...i wana buy the f31fd

i called today too to HN....but they tell me no more stock....and only left display set in Bukit Panjang.....can u tell me your source...i wana buy the f31fd

Try calling HN at CentrePoint, Orchard. I remember they still have one there sometime ago.

Can try HN Novena Square2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.