Upgrading Advice

Heh.

I'm not kidding. TS already mentioned that he feels like upgrading. So he should, as I wrote earlier, just upgrade!

There is joy is retail therapy too!

yeah. who am i to advise that. :bsmilie: i just spent $2,000 on the NEX-7 :bsmilie:

Really in a dilemma right now to upgrade or not to upgrade.
Feel like gettint d7k with the higher iso and better performance. But on top of that i don know whether to sell off my d5k and top up cos its my 1st dlsr and a birthday gift. ;(

When in doubt, don't get anything. Analyze your needs (during the confusion) then make the decision. If you already know your needs, then just go for it. *There is no need to seek "approval"/confirmation to get what you want...*

congrats on your new hoot!

sankyew. i got it last month :bsmilie:

Feel like gettint d7k with the higher iso and better performance. But on top of that i don know whether to sell off my d5k and top up cos its my 1st dlsr and a birthday gift. ;(

ok who bought it for you? if it's your girlfriend and you intend to go far with her, you better not sell it... unless you have her explicit blessings

ok who bought it for you? if it's your girlfriend and you intend to go far with her, you better not sell it... unless you have her explicit blessings

from my dad :D

When in doubt, don't get anything.

I've heard otherwise. Usually what I hear goes something like "When in doubt, get both"

Anyway, if it were me, I'd upgrade for the better controls. If you are looking for image quality alone then the D5100 would be a cheaper choice.

brapodam said:
I've heard otherwise. Usually what I hear goes something like "When in doubt, get both"

Anyway, if it were me, I'd upgrade for the better controls. If you are looking for image quality alone then the D5100 would be a cheaper choice.

Well, the only exception you that rule is if you have too much money to spend...

afiyy said:

I kept my Nikon D70 precisely because it was a gift and that it got me some photography awards.

Honestly, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the D7000 without selling the D5000. It's about $1,600 brand new, $1,400 and below 2nd hand. Just head out and get some decent work and you'd get there.

I upgraded from D3000 to D7000 without selling my D3000 (because it's my first dslr, got feeling also) and sometime either me or my gf will use it haha

Last edited:
Ask you all. Is there a new edition of d7000 coming out?

Feel like gettint d7k with the higher iso and better performance.

Ask yourself if you really need the better performance right now. Like you, I am still using a D5000 and I think that a D7000 is a good upgrade choice. However I shoot mainly for fun, can't really justify spending the money for an improvement in image quality for now, so I've decided to continue saving and wait till the D7000 replacement comes out.

If you have the budget and the purchase makes you happy then go ahead! :D

rhino123 said:
Since TS had included the D800 in his choice, I think he should get the D800. Whats the point of upgrading from a cropped sensor camera to another cropped sensor camera. Just go FF already.

I agree really. Else why upgrade.

is there a shop that we can molest any cameras?

is there a shop that we can molest any cameras?

Harvey Norman, Courts, Challenger and all other megastore, they don't care a damn when you request to molest their camera. You can also go TK foto, John and the such too... But I don't think they like it when you press on their shutter and had no intention to buy the cameras.

SkyStrike said:
When in doubt, don't get anything. Analyze your needs (during the confusion) then make the decision. If you already know your needs, then just go for it. *There is no need to seek "approval"/confirmation to get what you want...*

This is the reply I like most.

Ask you all. Is there a new edition of d7000 coming out?

The rumour is that the D7000 replacement is to be released towards the end of this year. If you can wait, I would suggest you do.
I switched from the D5k to the D7k about 14 months back and I love the improvements it brings, but if you tend to use the articulating LCD for things like macro, then you'll miss it dearly. I do. :)