Upgrade suggestions

Jermmodia

Aug 20, 2018
Hello I was using a55 since it's release many years ago and now seeking to upgrade.
Would a a77, a77ii or a99 would be a better long run upgrade for now as I don't think I would be changing camera anytime soon after this. Have a couple of a mount lens thus sticking to a-mount dslr.
All comments are appreciated!

I realise the video capabilities are very limited on a55 as it would overheat and stop videoing, and would the upgrades have less heating issues?

Hi and welcome.
Personally I don't see the need to upgrade as the specs of A55 is still decent despite it's age. Video in dslr is pretty much the same where by "law" it limits to about 30 minutes worth compared to a real video camera. If video is paramount then get another camera, do some research.

Unless your photographic skills is up to a competent, advanced level even an upgrade to a fullframe A99 would be just gear aquisition.

PS with regards to dslr/mirrorless video overheating issues.. it's similar for all image sensors unless manufacturer has adequately
tackled the problem like in true video cams that can record a long duration even then it's is subject to heat issues. It's just that to protect the video market share "they" have decided to limit it to 30 mimutes recording. Only the early generation of Panasonic cams did not follow this rule. ;)

Last edited:
Just some stuff i wonder about video as overheating comes up often like 5 mins into videoing and it force stop my video. Would like to take up to 10 mins if possible.
Thinking to upgrade as my a55 is super old and many issues starts coming up recently, repair for it isn't cheap either. Therefore looking to get a 2nd hand body as an upgrade from current a55 while it runs till the end,

Just some stuff i wonder about video as overheating comes up often like 5 mins into videoing and it force stop my video. Would like to take up to 10 mins if possible.
Thinking to upgrade as my a55 is super old and many issues starts coming up recently, repair for it isn't cheap either. Therefore looking to get a 2nd hand body as an upgrade from current a55 while it runs till the end,

Sony A mount bodies don't turn up in BnS often but do check previous listings or carousel. Good luck.

This should be still available. ;) plus kit lens,2 batteries

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/wtsell-dslr-sony-selling-a-sony-a58-camera.1735338/

or this...
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/wt...lt-a77v-16-50mm-f2-8-sal1650-a-mount.1735434/

Last edited:
Hi! Im using a A77 mk1 now, the video has been great, haven't had an overheat notice yet. My older A57's video performance is very similar to A77 and its a lot cheaper now. Please avoid the A58 or A68 as the display resolution and quality is really bad. A65, A57 and A77 are all recommended along with A99 ( if you have a bigger budget and if ur A-mount lenses are FF compatible)

If not you could also get an NEX system like the nex 7 (has mic input) and a E-mount to A-mount adapter. My Nex 7 takes abt 15mins before overheating tho)

Newer Sony mirroroless cameras have improved sensor and video making capabilities. Just visit Sony center at 313 Summerset to play with their display units.