Upgrade options for 1000D

alancwr

Sep 23, 2007
hi guys,

i've been using 1000D since i started learning photography, it has been awhile that i have been using this model probably gonna hit a year soon..
this camera have served me really well through my learning journey

i've been thinking of upgrading the body to something
when i 1st got this camera, i never thought that i would go so much into photography, thinking i'll not last the hobby, but the more i shoot the more i like shooting :sweat:, so i kinda regret not listening to my friends getting a mid-entry level so it will be able to last me a bit longer, btw im not saying i don't like 1000D, in fact i think it has really served me well and i love it

the thing is, im not too sure what is the next body i should actually upgrade to...currently i have 2 body in mind, 60D and 7D, im not too sure abt other models whether they can suit me, so i hope i can get more advice on other models too

i'd like to tap on the expertise of CSers here to actually advise me on what i should get for my next upgrade

some of the planning considerations
1.) shouldnt affect my equipment, currently im having tamron 17-50 non-vc and 85mm f1.8 usm
2.) i usually shoot landscape + a bit of sports sometimes and street + a bit of walkabout photography, recently more of street, therefore i'm not really considering going FF as i love the focal length of 85mm, which on FF will be 135?i dun think i'd want to spend xtra money to get new lenses
3.) most probably i'd be doing the upgrade during april-july period
4.) the thing i hate abt 1000D is i feel that its performance at 1600ISO is quite weak i feel, not sure if im correct, i hope the next upgrade would have a good performance at relatively high ISO
5.) i understand that 7D uses CF cards, and it might change the way i shoot in a way of another + high cost of memory card?
6.) i dont really have a budget in mind, but of course im only shooting for hobby, i wouldnt wanna spend 10k on a body :)

im sorry if the wall of text is too long, sorry also if i have not been reading enough in the forums, please pardon me :)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Why would 85mm on FF be 135mm???

85mm on FF = 85 x 1.0 = 85mm.
85mm on your 1000D = 85 x 1.6 = 136mm!!

Why would 85mm on FF be 135mm???

85mm on FF = 85 x 1.0 = 85mm.
85mm on your 1000D = 85 x 1.6 = 136mm!!

sorry sorry, think i wrote wrong, what i meant was, if i get a FF i would have to get 135mm cos so it would be the same as 85mm on crop

85mm on FF means you have to move nearer to your subject to get the same FOV as the 85mm on your 1000D

Don't expect any further high ISO noise reduction for 60D and 7D over your current 1000D... they are all almost the same.

If you want better noise performance at high ISO, either go FF or go Nikon...

Mythmaker said:
Don't expect any further high ISO noise reduction for 60D and 7D over your current 1000D... they are all almost the same.

May I know where u learn it from? Thx.

I don't see any good reason for changing the body based on what you describe.
For better noise control do consider shooting RAW and doing your own post-processing.
CF cards are not expensive, but they offer a few advantages compared to SD. Seems to me you just have itchy fingers and the vague feeling that you should upgrade because ... yeah.. because of what? Do continue shooting and upgrade your skills. You will be amazed what you can do with your camera. If in dount check the threads here showcasing pictures taken by 1000D. Are you already there..?

Totally wrong. Both 60D and 7D had better high ISO performance as 1000D, look at any reviews and they will tell you that. Plus I DO own both the 7D and at some point of time, the 1000D, and the ISO performance in both are different...

As for TS... I would think that you might want to hang on to your 1000D a bit longer until you know exactly what you want that the 1000D cannot provide... if it is just the ISO performance, you can 'upgrade' to a body like the 550D or 600D (both are pretty low cost now). And if it was the framerate that you are after... then yes... go to the 60D or 7D.

As for the 60D and 7D, I find that both can suit your needs.

The 7D is heavier though, but with a magnesium alloy body that is weather sealed... and fired at 8fps. 60D is not slotch either, its framerate is not as high, but for casual shooting, it is more than enough, my friend even use it for sports and F1 formula shooting, no problem at all. What I like about 60D was the vari-angle LCD which is very useful for some type of shooting and shooting at weird angle which is very very useful... also a 60D is lighter than the 7D and was a smaller package overall (not sure if the thickness is thinner or thicker though).

I think both 60D and 7D will suit ur needs. To me which one to choice depends on if I need better af system and fps more than tilt LCD.

hi guys,

i've been using 1000D since i started learning photography, it has been awhile that i have been using this model probably gonna hit a year soon..
this camera have served me really well through my learning journey

i've been thinking of upgrading the body to something
when i 1st got this camera, i never thought that i would go so much into photography, thinking i'll not last the hobby, but the more i shoot the more i like shooting :sweat:, so i kinda regret not listening to my friends getting a mid-entry level so it will be able to last me a bit longer, btw im not saying i don't like 1000D, in fact i think it has really served me well and i love it

the thing is, im not too sure what is the next body i should actually upgrade to...currently i have 2 body in mind, 60D and 7D, im not too sure abt other models whether they can suit me, so i hope i can get more advice on other models too

i'd like to tap on the expertise of CSers here to actually advise me on what i should get for my next upgrade

some of the planning considerations
1.) shouldnt affect my equipment, currently im having tamron 17-50 non-vc and 85mm f1.8 usm
2.) i usually shoot landscape + a bit of sports sometimes and street + a bit of walkabout photography, recently more of street, therefore i'm not really considering going FF as i love the focal length of 85mm, which on FF will be 135?i dun think i'd want to spend xtra money to get new lenses
3.) most probably i'd be doing the upgrade during april-july period
4.) the thing i hate abt 1000D is i feel that its performance at 1600ISO is quite weak i feel, not sure if im correct, i hope the next upgrade would have a good performance at relatively high ISO
5.) i understand that 7D uses CF cards, and it might change the way i shoot in a way of another + high cost of memory card?
6.) i dont really have a budget in mind, but of course im only shooting for hobby, i wouldnt wanna spend 10k on a body :)

im sorry if the wall of text is too long, sorry also if i have not been reading enough in the forums, please pardon me :)

thanks in advance

By that time new models may be available on the market. Until then, use your 1000D more and find out exactly what you are looking for in your upgrade.

No offence, but 1 reason is good enough. As long as he enjoy his new toy.

A pro and a hobbist look at the camera differently. Pro uses it as a tool, and will get the most economical one that can do the job to maximize return. A hobbist treat it as a toy, and will buy whatever he fancy and enjoy.

Eg, taxi driver will buy a sonata and not ferrari. Yet there are ferrari owners. So what's limiting the ferrari owners that a sonata can't do on sg roads? (of course there are other factors like status, acceleration, etc. So do higher end camera) ;)

PS - I've said before. Taking photo for a hobbist is only half the fun, molesting his toy is the other half. :)

Last edited:
For better noise control do consider shooting RAW and doing your own post-processing.
CF cards are not expensive, but they offer a few advantages compared to SD. Seems to me you just have itchy fingers and the vague feeling that you should upgrade because ... yeah.. because of what? Do continue shooting and upgrade your skills. You will be amazed what you can do with your camera. If in dount check the threads here showcasing pictures taken by 1000D. Are you already there..?

To be very honest, I sun usually shoot raw neither do I do pp, as I prefer my pictures to be as what I've shot, I understand that shooting in raw would better retain image details, but I do not see myself going into intensive pp and stuff

I think both 60D and 7D will suit ur needs. To me which one to choice depends on if I need better af system and fps more than tilt LCD.

Actually my heart is more towards 7d, but I'm posting because I feel I might have missed out on models which might have better suit my criterias

By that time new models may be available on the market. Until then, use your 1000D more and find out exactly what you are looking for in your upgrade.

Yeah I'll probably be keeping a lookout on news to see if there's new release by the time I decided to upgrade, not limiting myself to time norm

A pro and a hobbist look at the camera differently. Pro uses it as a tool, and will get the most economical one that can do the job to maximize return. A hobbist treat it as a toy, and will buy whatever he fancy and enjoy.

Eg, taxi driver will buy a sonata and not ferrari. Yet there are ferrari owners. So what's limiting the ferrari owners that a sonata can't do on sg roads? (of course there are other factors like status, acceleration, etc. So do higher end camera) ;)

PS - I've said before. Taking photo for a hobbist is only half the fun, molesting his toy is the other half. :)

I do agree with what u say to a certain extent, I enjoy shooting and I'm merely a hobbyist, but of course I wouldn't spend 10k on a single body

To be very honest, I sun usually shoot raw neither do I do pp, as I prefer my pictures to be as what I've shot, I understand that shooting in raw would better retain image details, but I do not see myself going into intensive pp and stuff

if you want your pictures to be as shot what you've shot, isnt raw better? Since shooting in jpeg, the camera does the 'post processing' for you instead

if you want your pictures to be as shot what you've shot, isnt raw better? Since shooting in jpeg, the camera does the 'post processing' for you instead

what i meant was straight from camera :)

Well, a fair bit has been mentioned before me. Between the 60D and the 7D, I'd go for the 7D.

Since you don't PP your photos, perhaps the 60D is better in terms of helping with yr composition due to its articulating LCD screen.

Anyway, buying something is not always about what you need, but about what you want. Besides functionality, there is design, snob appeal, shiokness factor n what not. That applies to camera equipment too.

I tried looking with the eyes of the hobbyist - but still: no real reason :) Whatever TS does or wants to do can be done with the current system. But ok, of spending $ for 7D creates happiness I'm not the person to spoil the fun :)

Totally wrong. Both 60D and 7D had better high ISO performance as 1000D, look at any reviews and they will tell you that. Plus I DO own both the 7D and at some point of time, the 1000D, and the ISO performance in both are different...

I did say almost the same, not exactly the same... I do know 7D noise control is better, but it's only 1 tiny little bit better. I shot with both, and over ISO 1000 both still gave almost the same amount of noise. A check with:

Canon 1000D vs 7D

confirms my suspicion. It's only 0.2 stops apart...

Last edited: