Under the Bridge

bojee

Feb 4, 2011
Singapore
Hi everyone. This is my second time posting here. Here goes:

UnderbridgeBW.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and exposure. I am also experimenting in B&W processing.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wish to improve composition and exposure as I am a newbie.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Late evening.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I love the lights and I also love how the lines draw you to the middle of the pic. :)

Overall good effort and and pretty well executed. I like the bw conversion as well. Perhaps you can try boosting the shadows slightly more and pull back the bright highlights a little more to see how it works.

The two largest lights on the bottom are a little distracting though. Maybe some dodging there or the use of black cards may help a little.

Overall a good effort. Well done.

daredevil123 said:
Overall good effort and and pretty well executed. I like the bw conversion as well. Perhaps you can try boosting the shadows slightly more and pull back the bright highlights a little more to see how it works.

The two largest lights on the bottom are a little distracting though. Maybe some dodging there or the use of black cards may help a little.

Overall a good effort. Well done.

Thanks DD. I'll try boosting the shadows and dodging the 2 lights in front.

BTW, can you please point me to where I can learn about black cards? I tried to search but different topics pop up. Thanks again. :)

Hi DD,

Do you cover the entire lens using black cards or only areas you think would have the bight lights?

Hi TS,

There is a woman in white seating at the 2nd left pillar. :x

bananah said:
Hi DD,

Do you cover the entire lens using black cards or only areas you think would have the bight lights?

Hi TS,

There is a woman in white seating at the 2nd left pillar. :x

Waaaaa I don't think that's a woman. This is taken near the Merlion. I don't think it's allowed to jump into the water and sit on the pillar. But yeah it eerily looks like a woman in white. Creepy...

For a black and white photo like this one, it is short on contrast.

For a black and white photo like this one, it is short on contrast.

Thanks coolthought, I'm currently doing PP and applying DD's suggestions. Adding more contrast. :)

Good attempt, rather similar to mine. I find the white lights disturbing imo.
This is my attempt:

Symmetry by derrickder, on Flickr

I'm a fan of BW as well and one reason for me being a fan of it is that its not as limiting as colour. I like how the lines converge to the bottom thrid as well as the light flare. Though I must say that the contrast is lacking.

Try go wild and just go with high contrast =)

Okay, I tried to re-edit and here's what I came up with. I still feel there's something more that can be done here. Anyway, here goes:

UnderbridgeBWcopy.jpg

bojee said:
Okay, I tried to re-edit and here's what I came up with. I still feel there's something more that can be done here. Anyway, here goes:

Bro, try a square crop. See how you like it.