Ultrasonic dog repellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newman said:
High 5, jsbn!

I'm an animal lover myself. And the key to not fearing animals such as dogs is to understand them. I'm a member of a local pet forum and we have frequent gatherings to share our knowledge and also give our four-legged friends a chance to meet other dogs and humans. Look at the following picture. This was taken at an animal sanctuary called Noah's Ark in JB. We make a yearly trip there to give those animals some tender loving care. Most of the dogs are left behind by owners or rescued from abuse. If you are afraid of dogs, you'd probably avoid this place like a plague as there are over a hundred of them. But these dogs are just too happy to see us. They will push their heads under your hands to tell you to pat them.
Noah's Ark? They used to be at Seletar until the tenants shooed them out for some land ownership dispute thing right?

Its sad to see another animal sanctuary gone. How's it doing in JB now? But den trips up north like these are a luxury for me since I don't have a car. Going to JB is like a holiday for me.

CRW_5614.jpg
Aha! I see some really nice big doggies there. :)

• Dogs can be territorial and that's why they bark when you are close to their territory. It's just their way of warning you. Usually, you can walk pass them slowly and they won't do anything to you. Don't stare at them when you do so.
  • If you pass by the place frequently, like what jsbn said, let them sniff your hand. Once they know you, they'll be wagging their tails the next time they see you.
  • Do not attempt to kick them or punch them or hurt them in some other way. You'd only make them more angry.
  • If you decide to approach them, do it slowly with no sudden movements.
  • If you are attacked and you can't outrun them, curl up like a ball and protect your ears, face and neck with your hands, and stay still.
Avoid using the dog repeller, which emits an ultrasonic tone, or repellent, which is like a mace spray. Why do you want to hurt them? Most dogs are not aggressive creatures. After all, dogs are man's best friends.;)
To add onto the list...
- Don't bend over them and pat them on the head (aka between the ears). Imagine if someone taller den u bends over and starts patting ur head. U like that?

- Try not to get very young children around bigger dogs. Some children have more sensitive lungs and are prone to asthmatic attacks if they get around furry stuff. Very young children sometimes have this high-pitched wail that will scare or excite the doggy further. And of cos, if the doggy decided to sniff ur child and ur child's not afraid or is non-allergic to fur, let them sniff. Dogs are carnivores but I believe they dun have a liking for human meat.

- When a strange dog approaches u, squat down to match its height. Don't hang onto the silly pride of "I'm a human being, superior being". Comparing capabilities alone, dogs are much more developed where capabilities are concerned.

- If u're on a bicycle and u hear dogs barking and wanna get out of the place. Don't show fear and start to pedal franatically away. High chances are they WILL chase u with their tails between their legs and if they can get to the side of u, chances are they will jump onto u and knock u down. Stay calm and pedal away as normal.

- If u see a quiet dog looking moody, don't extend ur hand first. Very high chances of getting urself nipped. Sit beside the dog and do nothing.

- If u are bitten (that's what I notice), don't yelp away in pain, screaming and beating the dog frantically like a madman and jumping around the place with the dog's mouth on ur hand. Trained attacking Police German Sheperds and Pitbulls will get very excited and will bite harder. For attacking strays, kick them hard and run 2.4km like u're running a 50m sprinting race they will chase u for a short while before giving up. For attacking police dogs (I dun think u guys will get it), just surrender. They are very obeidient to the owner and will stop biting once the police can get their cuffs on u.

Typically dogs wun attack another human being with no rhyme or reason unless u see the dog panting heavily away, drooling, with a crazy look in its eyes. :bigeyes:

- A dog with a relaxed swinging tail is a friendly dog. A dog with a stiff, erect, double-quicktime wagging is an excited dog.

Anymore to add onto the list? :)

jsbn said:
Noah's Ark? They used to be at Seletar until the tenants shooed them out for some land ownership dispute thing right?

Its sad to see another animal sanctuary gone. How's it doing in JB now? But den trips up north like these are a luxury for me since I don't have a car. Going to JB is like a holiday for me.
It's doing fine. You don't need to drive there. We usually charter buses from them to pick us up from Boon Lay and send us back there.

jsbn said:
- Try not to get very young children around bigger dogs. Some children have more sensitive lungs and are prone to asthmatic attacks if they get around furry stuff. Very young children sometimes have this high-pitched wail that will scare or excite the doggy further. And of cos, if the doggy decided to sniff ur child and ur child's not afraid or is non-allergic to fur, let them sniff. Dogs are carnivores but I believe they dun have a liking for human meat.
Actually, it's not the fur that triggers asthmatic attacks. It's dry skin called dandry. Some dogs are not good around children. That's why have to select carefully if you have kids.

redstone said:
Any suggestions of going safely into wild dog territory?
Dogs around Matilda House. I wanna go there.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to go there? Photoshoot?:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.