ultracompact - olympus IR-300 - reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbeng

Jun 5, 2005
Hi,
couldn't find any satisfactory or comprehensive reviews on the net about this model... and saw from another user's posted pic of Olympus flyer at Comex that this camera going for quite cheap ($499, usual $600+). as someone who is thinking of getting my first digital camera, would like to ask if anyone has this, any comments? good or not..

my bydget is $500 thereabouts, more or less than 4 megapixels, ultracompact.

Thanks in advance!!

thanks doublie!

actually i JUST came across that link from a cnetasia user comments too..

looks like a good buy!

To me, having tried digicams from practically all brands, I find that in the same price range, Olympus is always the best on 3 fronts:
1. Lens quality
2. Built quality
3. Ergonomics

So, if these 3 factors are important to you when splashing out your hard earned money, you really can't go wrong buying anything from Olympus.

And also, never read and believe photographic equipment reviews from PC and computer parts review sites.

tao said:
To me, having tried digicams from practically all brands, I find that in the same price range, Olympus is always the best on 3 fronts:
1. Lens quality
2. Built quality
3. Ergonomics

So, if these 3 factors are important to you when splashing out your hard earned money, you really can't go wrong buying anything from Olympus.

And also, never read and believe photographic equipment reviews from PC and computer parts review sites.

Yep. they let out the

Dock and done function.
Photo Frame/Calendar/Red Eye Fix
Album + Calendar
Soft Flash
Easy to use GUI.

have'nt seen/tried one yet, but the anandtech review seems to show it in rather poor light, contrary to other pple reports from dpreview....

one thing to note is that it does'nt have much 'manual' functions, so u have less control, it's basically a point n shoot, as are most ultra-compacts.... u may wanna consider the c5500 sport zoom and c7000, they are abit larger, but still pocketable, offer more control and have been recieving rave reviews from users in other forums....

less marketing dollars pumped in by Oly for this camera, so the this camera is less known and thus cheaper.

tao said:
you really can't go wrong buying anything from Olympus.

Hi tao,

Olympus must thank you for saying that!!! tao :love2: olympus :bsmilie:

I second your statement on reviews. Most review sites are "PRO" whoever are is paying them their advertising money. Imagine C is buying 5 full colour pages of advertising and you write N camera is better then C's. :sweat:

:cheers:

Here is a Japanese review, you can use Babelfish to translate:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/04/04/1297.html

Image quality looks pretty good to me, think it uses less JPEG compression compared with the other tiny digicams so less artefact in that respect but the sharpening is a bit too much for me. Guess that is the problem with all superslim cameras.

And here is a set of images posted by someone with the IR-300. I must say that its macro capability is amazing, certainly the best in the superslim class.
http://mikese-1.freeservers.com/photo.html

tried it out at comex.... the anandtech review does'nt do it justice... esp WRT to build quality...

u should drop by a shop and try em all out....

Status
Not open for further replies.