Two new cameras, Three new lenses ?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh! If true, then I feel sorry for Pentax... they could just end up frittering away another great opportunity to rise some notches fast and easy... especially while the sun is shining upon them at the moment.
i guess it's a choice between following the C/N camp and releasing camera updates every year, or even less than half a year without very significant improvements, other than replacing sensors and shuffling them around... :dunno:

At the moment I think Pentax is in a good position, there's no hurry to release a new product. Since the video recording 'revolution' there has been no new 'must have' innovation that justifies renewing an entire product line with new products. The D90 was the first cropped camera to have video recording and yet there's no updates to it and it's still selling well. The 550D is the only new release that replaces a product that already has video recording, and you can see it doesn't really add anything significant on top of the 500D.

Right now Pentax is doing the right thing. Unlike the other companies, Pentax isn't strong enough to develop so many products. Most of the other brands have 4 main lines for their cropped DSLRs
1) Lower entry level (D3000, 1000D)
2) Upper entry level (D5000, 500D)
3) Mid-range (D90, 50D)
4) Prosumer (D300s, 7D)

Ok, Sony is a bit different since they have 6 different entry level cameras, but C/N basically following these 4 main groups. Pentax only has the R&D budget for two cameras, so what do they do?
It's a simple strategy... Pentax releases an upper-entry level camera (K-x) and price it as a lower-entry level, as well as release a prosumer camera (K-7) and price it as a mid-range camera. If you think about it it is a damn good strategy to cover and compete against all 4 levels. Low R&D budget, maximum competitiveness. And that's why we have 2 winner cameras to choose from.

Pentax isn't as stupid as you may think. In a David vs Goliath situation, you have to do some things different from how others do it.

Sigh! If true, then I feel sorry for Pentax... they could just end up frittering away another great opportunity to rise some notches fast and easy... especially while the sun is shining upon them at the moment.

However, I sincerely hope the new Hoya management is different from the old Pentax management. Only time will tell I guess. :)

I guess Hoya should hire you as their marketing director :bsmilie:

I guess Hoya should hire you as their marketing director :bsmilie:

LOL! First thing I'd do is to hire you as South-Asian Public Relations Manager!! :bsmilie:

Pentax isn't as stupid as you may think. In a David vs Goliath situation, you have to do some things different from how others do it.

Very well opined... just like your opinions usually are!

If Pentax continues to make the right moves (like it seems they are at the moment) they will soon be able to join the ranks of the big boys... I sincerely hope that will happen sooner than later!

Maybe they will also soon be able to compete neck to neck with a few more slightly differentiated products in the near future to enjoy an even higher profit percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.