TV Spoil, suggestions?

Then it is time to change your TV this weekend :)

Gain City @ Expo 2012 will be blasting off from the 30th March to 1st April 2012 at the Singapore Expo, Hall 5B.

Then it is time to change your TV this weekend :)

Gain City @ Expo 2012 will be blasting off from the 30th March to 1st April 2012 at the Singapore Expo, Hall 5B.

No money. :( have to use my smaller tv at the time being :( hahah

... but i suspect karung guni man do not want spoilt tv.
You will be surprised, possible to just change say a couple of ruptured electrolytic capacitors or other electrical and electronic components depending on the causes for a few dollars and it is as good as new again. ;)

Those with experience in EEE can simply self repair by downloading the service manual off the interweb, maybe spend some time on Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) for complex scenarios. Could be a good learning experience. Question is, is it worth the time and effort?

have you tried to use another remote controller of the same brand to turn on the TV?

have you tried to use another remote controller of the same brand to turn on the TV?

TS already tried the main power switch on the TV.

gosh. why doesn't anyone read the other posts.

btw, try this old method.

whack the TV hard on the top and on the back. a few times when the main switch is off. then try to switch it on.

press the channel up or down button sure will turn on, if not your tv up lorry liao.... to test if your remote are in working condition or not bring it near to radio, u will hear the sound when u press the button... hope it help..

No money. :( have to use my smaller tv at the time being :( hahah

No money, no talk :bsmilie:

I also use my portable 7" LCD TV after my 21" TV spoiled.

Now I surf net on laptop and watch TV at the same time :)

You will be surprised, possible to just change say a couple of ruptured electrolytic capacitors or other electrical and electronic components depending on the causes for a few dollars and it is as good as new again. ;)

Those with experience in EEE can simply self repair by downloading the service manual off the interweb, maybe spend some time on Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) for complex scenarios. Could be a good learning experience. Question is, is it worth the time and effort?

Agree, I used to fix TV and other home audio-visual appliances before I became addicted to another hobby ;)

I haven't opened up a TV for quite sometime but I can still remember the basics
The red LED lamp is powered by a small power supply circuit that also supply power to the TV's microprocessor. Once you press he remote control, the signal will be received by the microprocessor through the LED sensor. Then the microprocessor will send a signal to turn ON the main power supply that will power up the whole system.

Based on your TV problem symptoms, there could only be 3 parts causing the problem
1. Main power supply - could be due to busted fuse, loose connection, busted regulator, transistor.....
2. Remote Sensor- it's the small thing in front of the TV. usually beside the red LED light. check if it's clean or anything blocking it
3. Microprocessor circuit - usually the whole PCB board has to be replaced

Note:
Electricity is dangerous. Make sure you know what you're doing if you want to open up your TV

Agree, I used to fix TV and other home audio-visual appliances before I became addicted to another hobby ;)
IIRC, what got me into dismantling and stripping CRT TVs for a short while was attempting to learn more and improve on my Van Eck phreaking project. Attempting to intercept residue electromagnetic radiation leakage, specifically within the High Frequency (HF) and Very Large Frequency (VLF) range of the radio spectrum that is emitted from the CRT itself.

The incepted signal can be processed, fed into another CRT TV (or a computer with the necessary software such as EckBox to interpret the raw data) and ultimately displaying what is being shown on the CRT TV whose signal originated from.

Last edited:
IIRC, what got me into dismantling and stripping CRT TVs for a short while was attempting to learn more and improve on my Van Eck phreaking project. Attempting to intercept residue electromagnetic radiation leakage, specifically within the High Frequency (HF) and Very Large Frequency (VLF) range of the radio spectrum that is emitted from the CRT itself.

The incepted signal can be processed, fed into another CRT TV (or a computer with the necessary software such as EckBox to interpret the raw data) and ultimately displaying what is being shown on the CRT TV whose signal originated from.

I just googled Van Eck phreaking: Van Eck phreaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's one really cool project 9V, did it work?

Opps, had meant to type "Very High frequency (VHF)" instead. :sweat:

I just googled Van Eck phreaking: Van Eck phreaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's one really cool project 9V, did it work?
Our Van Eck phreaking project design isn't really complicated at all, it was assembled with Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components purchased from Sim Lim Tower along with bits and pieces of spare parts lying around for an estimated total engineering / manufacturing Bill of Materials (BoM) amounting to no more than a hundred Singapore dollars.

Even so, we still managed to achieve rather satisfactory results both in the Radio Frequency (RF) anechoic chamber and in real world environment. I reckon for the latter we managed to sniff enough compromised electromagnetic radiation emanating from the CRT source with a directional VHF/UHF aerial tens of meters away to reproduce an almost complete field of scan lines on another CRT after amplification and processing of the Radio Frequency (RF) signal.

Now imagine a Key Appointment Holder (KAH) in some corporation or government organisation working on his computer secured with US DoD, MIL-STD / MIL-SPEC grade firewall and 256 bit AES encryption but all it really takes is for someone eavesdropping in from possibly another location hundreds of meters away to steal whatever classified information displayed on the computer monitor. Essentially it will be no different for the modern day phreaker to stand directly behind the user, snooping over their shoulder without them even noticing. Of course, there are methods to counter against security vulnerabilities such as this.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have a spoil television, the red light is on but can't seem to on it. Tried using remote control and also pressing the buttons, both doesn't help. Any TV gurus able to know the problem with it and suggest if I can DIY repair it or anywhere I can send for repair? Thanks.

My LG LCD TV displayed a similar problem. Tech did a house call and opened up the back. There are only 3 boards. One is the power board, one mainboard and the 3rd cannot remember the term.

Get a "spoilt" 2nd hand same model from the garang guni man (make friend and pay him a small sum) that fail for a different reason. And replace the power board (My Tv power board is in the centre). The power board if bought new is $145 (lucky my TV still under warranty)

Good luck

Last edited:
TS, what is the brand of your TV? I remember plasma TVs got certain lifespan...

Our Van Eck phreaking project design isn't really complicated at all, it was assembled with Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components purchased from Sim Lim Tower along with bits and pieces of spare parts lying around for an estimated total engineering / manufacturing Bill of Materials (BoM) amounting to no more than a hundred Singapore dollars.

Even so, we still managed to achieve rather satisfactory results both in the Radio Frequency (RF) anechoic chamber and in real world environment. I reckon for the latter we managed to sniff enough compromised electromagnetic radiation emanating from the CRT source with a directional VHF/UHF aerial tens of meters away to reproduce an almost complete field of scan lines on another CRT after amplification and processing of the Radio Frequency (RF) signal.

Now imagine a Key Appointment Holder (KAH) in some corporation or government organisation working on his computer secured with US DoD, MIL-STD / MIL-SPEC grade firewall and 256 bit AES encryption but all it really takes is for someone eavesdropping in from possibly another location hundreds of meters away to steal whatever classified information displayed on the computer monitor. Essentially it will be no different for the modern day phreaker to stand directly behind the user, snooping over their shoulder without them even noticing. Of course, there are methods to counter against security vulnerabilities such as this.
[vid]oLQbp6hj7-c[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. OLQBP6HJ7-C

[vid]DlVM9xqGKx8[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. DlVM9xqGKx8

Those with an AM or shortwave radio might want to try this. Similar concept.
Tempest for Eliza.

Last edited:
Okay that was mindblowing...

>>

What is it ?
------------

Tempest for Eliza is a Program that uses your computer monitor
to send out AM radio signals. You can then hear computer
generated music in your radio.