tuition assignments

or switch to logic based.

carbon has 4 electrons at its valence shell. (for now u all learn is octet. so i leave it as it is. even if its wrong in jc)

so u can form up to 4 pairs of covalent bonds
so u just share lor!:)
see that's why science is full of bullshit...they teach you something, then say it's bullshit. First about chlorophyll, then about atomic structures and stuff. Next thing you know they tell you in uni that what you learn in jc is all nonsense...
LOL no worries. shld see the hitler orchard road parody. its cute:bsmilie:
Well there are other better videos of those style...cant remember which ones though. I think there was one on the ERP too, thought that was more funny than this...

see that's why science is full of bullshit...they teach you something, then say it's bullshit. First about chlorophyll, then about atomic structures and stuff. Next thing you know they tell you in uni that what you learn in jc is all nonsense...

Well there are other better videos of those style...cant remember which ones though. I think there was one on the ERP too, thought that was more funny than this...

jc still ok bah. jc is close to uni in a huge number of ways. at least in physics bah.

well. in physics later they tell u too big u need einstein. too small u need bohr.

good grief:sweat:

from what little i remember of organic chemistry, it is largely memory work.

i liked drawing out the chemical structure, it helps with the memory work, since carbon needs to be surrounded by 4 little sticks, hydrogen has 1, blah blah blah.

boring stuff. :bsmilie:

LOL! :bsmilie:

You know there are adverts for tutions ON THIS VERY PAGE!!!:bsmilie:

"Ads by Google, blar blar blar...:

All the chemistry I'm learning now is going to be useless next year already...

Quote from senior" O level chem is just ONE BIG LIE"

Omg...importing 2000+ photos into lightroom... i import 15 minutes still at 65%

back in my day, the typical market rate was 25-30/hr for a level students teaching o level standard.

of course, if you have contacts in bukit timah, 50/hr is no problem, have money will throw at tuition teachers, those parents.

I think now is still around this price...just tt parents wants Uni students...:D

Nadal just won wimbledon...

I think now is still around this price...just tt parents wants Uni students...:D

Uni students not necessary good. I had a uni student once. Cant teach for crap. Couldn't understand a single thing he was trying to explain. Even my school NIE trainees did a better job

jc still ok bah. jc is close to uni in a huge number of ways. at least in physics bah.

well. in physics later they tell u too big u need einstein. too small u need bohr.

good grief:sweat:

When in Uni, you will start to appreciate what are those "idiot/meaningless" subject are for...for eg, you will start to appreciate why you need to learn integrals...why the emphasis....etc

When in Uni, you will start to appreciate what are those "idiot/meaningless" subject are for...for eg, you will start to appreciate why you need to learn integrals...why the emphasis....etc

Hmmmmm, sounds scary. idiot meaningless also must study....:bsmilie:

Hmmmmm, sounds scary. idiot meaningless also must study....:bsmilie:

yes...tt was what I thot...in secondary sch, teacher only say must learn integration/differentiation...physics/chem/bio are rather understood what they are for...
but math like trigo, angles etc...I didn't see any link when I was in sec.....only start to appreciate what are they for in Uni...:bsmilie:

aSec 5 this year and have 2 friends getting $25/h and they want me to join them ;p

So $25 should be the avrg i guess.

And like described earlier 1st month agent take 50% commission after the 1st month 100% yours :cool:

But now my question is work as tutor or at ice cream shop (udders) ??:dunno:

All the chemistry I'm learning now is going to be useless next year already...

Quote from senior" O level chem is just ONE BIG LIE"

Ok, first off. I'm biased cause I took it all the way to Uni and taught chemistry.

To say that O Level Chemistry is totally the real senario in the real world would be naive, but to say that its a ONE BIG LIE means your senior have not learnt to link "past knowledge" (Secondary) with the "new knowledge" (i.e. JC), or his teacher has failed to link it for him.

The problem in the pursuit of getting grades and just passing the next exam, secondary students are drilled on certain rules that sometimes they are not told/don't care that there are exceptions (e.g the octet structure and many more).

Secondary school science is general and lays the foundation. You will encounter many exceptions to the general rules in your post secondary school. That doesn't totally negate what you learn in secondary school.

Just like composition in photography, sometimes you need to be familar with the rules before you know when to break it.

Is your senior in JC? Tell you senior that Uni would show that JC chemistry to be a lie also. But it that is really so, consider why it is that we can't skip Sec/JC chemistry and go straight away into Uni level of chemistry? Don't take foundation for granted. :)

Last edited:
Ok, first off. I'm biased cause I took it all the way to Uni and taught chemistry.

To say that O Level Chemistry is totally the real senario in the real world would be naive, but to say that its a ONE BIG LIE means your senior have not learnt to link "past knowledge" (Secondary) with the "new knowledge" (i.e. JC), or his teacher has failed to link it for him.

The problem in the pursuit of getting grades and just passing the next exam, secondary students are drilled on certain rules that sometimes they are not told/don't care that there are exceptions (e.g the octet structure and many more).

Secondary school science is general and lays the foundation. You will encounter many exceptions to the general rules in your post secondary school. That doesn't totally negate what you learn in secondary school.

Just like composition in photography, sometimes you need to be familar with the rules before you know when to break it.

Is your senior in JC? Tell you senior that Uni would show that JC chemistry to be a lie also. But it that is really so, consider why it is that we can't skip Sec/JC chemistry and go straight away into Uni level of chemistry? Don't take foundation for granted. :)

its not wrong to say its a lie lar. more like...

remember the early days when ppl ask u, what happens if u throw a stone and a paper into water. u will say paper floats stone sink, cause paper heavier. then u realise its not. and u move on to other stuff.

same for chem and physics in a way. what we learn in primary sec sch, all teach u the raw basics. enough for u to live life, not enough for u to excel. physics i can say that for sure. if we were to use newton's laws of motion of very fast objects, it will screw up. but for daily purposes, its sufficient.

i think math is the only thing that is constantly not a lie. kudos to math then:thumbsup:

It's like in the sec sch, there's oni Black and White..

Then in JC, suddenly you realise that there is something called Grey..

And then, in Uni.. there's actually different shades of grey.....

A classic example would be Metals and Non-metal behavior..

Sometimes, I hesitate when explaining concepts to students.. Like Metal + non-metal = Ionic, Non-metal+Non-metal = covalent.. So I tell them, this will be true for your O levels.. :bsmilie: For the truth.. wait till you reach there (JC) then learn.

Sometimes, to let student remember.. it may be necessary for the sec sch teacher to tell certain "lies".. Like, Inert gases never form compounds bcoz they are.. well.. "inert".. If add too many exceptions, it'll oni make them confused and forget..

But, after passing their O levels with aces.. in JC they'll realise that inert gases form all kinds of compounds under specific conditions and with specific "partners"..

Well.. that's just part and parcel of the study route isn't it.. B&W to B&W+Grey, different shades of grey.. and then colours......... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i think math is the only thing that is constantly not a lie. kudos to math then:thumbsup:

Do you study the course on mathematical induction or smthg like that that requires you to prove 1+1=2?......................

It's like in the sec sch, there's oni Black and White..

Then in JC, suddenly you realise that there is something called Grey..

And then, in Uni.. there's actually different shades of grey.....

A classic example would be Metals and Non-metal behavior..

Sometimes, I hesitate when explaining concepts to students.. Like Metal + non-metal = Ionic, Non-metal+Non-metal = covalent.. So I tell them, this will be true for your O levels.. :bsmilie: For the truth.. wait till you reach there (JC) then learn.

Sometimes, to let student remember.. it may be necessary for the sec sch teacher to tell certain "lies".. Like, Inert gases never form compounds bcoz they are.. well.. "inert".. If add too many exceptions, it'll oni make them confused and forget..

But, after passing their O levels with aces.. in JC they'll realise that inert gases form all kinds of compounds under specific conditions and with specific "partners"..

Well.. that's just part and parcel of the study route isn't it.. B&W to B&W+Grey, different shades of grey.. and then colours......... :bsmilie:

oh yea. ionic bonding with covalent character, arises due to the polarisability of electron cloud with forms a dipole moment. i see liao also freak out:sweat: