tuition assignments

Nowadays.., I suspect that tuition agencies tends to assign more expensive tutors when parents call in, bcoz they want higher commission. Unless the parent reject the rate and insist on more affordable ones then they will filter to the tutors who offer a lower rate.

Tuition agencies can't really be trusted to select the best tutor for the students..

that is true to a certain extent.

you are not wrong, the commission these days is based on fee that the tutor charges.. of course the boss usually gets the biggest cut, and then the individual agents get a smaller percentage.

so when you think about it, it really depends.

for a person with deep pockets who seems clueless, naturally it is tempting for a tuition agent to serve up the tutor who charges a lot, with reasonable experience/qualifications behind it.

however, singapore parents are also very much singaporean, they want cheap things that are good. so you end up with parents asking for $15/hr and wanting MOE teachers to teach their kids. that is immensely ridiculous, if i am an MOE teacher who can command $50/hr upwards, why would i want to do that?

if you think about it this way - if i am an agent getting a 20% cut of whatever the agency gets (which is what i gather from some agents i spoke to), if monthly fee $150 versus $200, the difference is $5. but the difference of $50 is significant to parents, so i might want to move it faster and get a $150 tutor instead of a $200 which the parents might not want to accept.

that said, i think the way some agencies screen their tutors is quite scary.. they just take whatever the tutors claim at face value, without verification.

hmm i see i see. any poor student who lives in the west here and needs physics remedial? can have 1 trial lesson first;)

later all take 1 trial lesson and zao after that :bsmilie:

that said, i think the way some agencies screen their tutors is quite scary.. they just take whatever the tutors claim at face value, without verification.

That's true. So far, oni NTUC ask for certificates to be sent to them. The other agencies never ask for them. They just ask you and that's it.. quite scary..

aiya zao jiu zao. i will just remember them on clubsnap thats all;)
but honestly, i realised tuition is a good way of revising ur work;) and u get paid to do so too LOL

you won't gain anything after 1 lesson..

But for some ace student who oni wanna ask 1 or 2 specific qns.. they may do that.

you won't gain anything after 1 lesson..

But for some ace student who oni wanna ask 1 or 2 specific qns.. they may do that.

LOL ace students will just pm me:cry: i cant earn from that:cry::cry:

but honestly, i realised tuition is a good way of revising ur work;) and u get paid to do so too LOL

That's true.. but the better thing is the satisfaction when the student performs well..

Once I had a student who was a private candidate. Very hardworking gal..

Her 1st attempt in combine physics/chem was F9 when she took her O levels in school. dunno who's her tutor.. Then, in her 2nd attempt as private candidate (the school don't wan to take them back), the agency called me. It was June and she only had 3~4 mths to the exam..

So did a clash course with her and every lessons she do 10yr series questions until she finish almost all the question..

And in the end she managed to get A2 for phy/chem.. as private candidate.. really impressed with her. :thumbsup:

That's true.. but the better thing is the satisfaction when the student performs well..

Once I had a student who was a private candidate. Very hardworking gal..

Her 1st attempt in combine physics/chem was F9 when she took her O levels in school. dunno who's her tutor.. Then, in her 2nd attempt as private candidate (the school don't wan to take them back), the agency called me. It was June and she only had 3~4 mths to the exam..

So did a clash course with her and every lessons she do 10yr series questions until she finish almost all the question..

And in the end she managed to get A2 for phy/chem.. as private candidate.. really impressed with her. :thumbsup:

yes. i understand that kind of feeling. :)

to give u an idea... i was from the worst class in my sch. our gpa avg back then was 2.0 outta 4, meaning all c5-c6 avg marks. but how we learn? those better at math, everyday will stay back guide the ppl who wanna learn math. those who better at english, will guide those who wanna learn english. chem also. physics we all stay back kenna tekkan by teacher. (teacher very fierce. but we like).

all of us work hard, day and night mug mug. end up those mug really hard, gpa jump from 2.0 to 3.6. i'm proud to be one of them too.

sometimes peer tutoring helps a lot too. provided u get ppl who know wad they are doing lor;)

bcoz they knoe you will post the question on CS if you can't solve... heehee.......

wakau T_T

i forgot lar. i realised instantaneous force and avg force is damn different>< i like instantaneous force qns. cause its dp/dt. avg is deltap/deltat.

like this qn. considering a ball of mass M, before the instant it collides with spring, it falls downwards at a velocity V. the spring compresses a distance of Y. using M, V ,Y and g, provide an expression for avg force spring exerts on ball.
if its instantaneous,
F=(mv^2)/y+2mg ( at max compression)

if its avg,

F=(mv^2)/2y +mg

see. i dun like avg forces. instants are cuter:sweat:

Last edited:
don't worry.. those are not O level stuff.. and u can tell your potential clients that..

LOL tell them i started the geek club on CS?:sweat:

anyone got kids to let me test water on now? :D

Maths qns up to o levels (a levels can try but dun blame me if I forgot), ask me hor. I'm the other geek in the grp. Haha.

now we just need someone good at chem, languages geog history, and we can set up our very own tuition group for sec sch;)

nightmare, u wanna take language?:D

Chemistry chemistry? Anyone want teach me? Only my acid base salt, redox, metals, energy change, mole calculation, bonding, weak only. ;p oh yea and i still know nuts about organic chem. :bsmilie:

Chemistry chemistry? Anyone want teach me? Only my acid base salt, redox, metals, energy change, mole calculation, bonding, weak only. ;p oh yea and i still know nuts about organic chem. :bsmilie:

"Only?" Thats a major portion of the whole syllabus my friend.

"Only?" Thats a major portion of the whole syllabus my friend.

Exactly.:D i pretty much know nuts.

i got c5 for my mid year. Nt gd. Whacking my ten year series now. Thats why mayb nid tution:bsmilie:

anyone got kids to let me test water on now? :D

Maths qns up to o levels (a levels can try but dun blame me if I forgot), ask me hor. I'm the other geek in the grp. Haha.

He's looking for kids to let him test water.. u got kids up to o levels ar.. (and maybe "A" level kids.... or u forgot which level ur kids?)

weird leh.. got the impression that u're getting hitched oni end of year.. now got o level kids liao.. *impressed*