TS-E 24mm f/3.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.

since63

Nov 18, 2005
Am interested in viewing pictures taken with the above mentioned lense and its capabilities. Very much appreciated, if anyone can post some sample pictures taken with this lense. Thank You.

Belle&Sebastain said:
http://www.offstone.com/photo/showthread.php?p=97977#post97977

stitched 3 images using the shift technique 24mm on 20D

Thanks for sharing.

Just wondering, the buildings on the left of the pixs seems to be tilting to the left, is this on purpose?

Was about to ask another question but then realised that you're using the 20D. So does the "38mm TS" lense causes any limitation?

Thanks again for sharing.

Hi Guys,

Besides using the 24mm TS for perspective correction, are there any other unique functions? Thanks again for visiting this thread.

You can simulate the perspective correction of a tilt-shift lens in photoshop but you can't simulate the shifting of the DOF plane.

since63 said:
Thanks for sharing.

Just wondering, the buildings on the left of the pixs seems to be tilting to the left, is this on purpose?

Was about to ask another question but then realised that you're using the 20D. So does the "38mm TS" lense causes any limitation?

Thanks again for sharing.

its a bit tilited to the left, thks for info, will correct it.

its not as wide as i want to be, so i shift and stitch to make a panoranic shot.

the 38mm lens makes a good product shot lens, its also great when you dun really get the vignetting effect found on full frame and 1.3 crop cameras when you fully shifted the lens.

on a full frame, the 24mm will have its full glory

to David, yes, i could have use a wider lens i i have not unfortunely, i used what i can lay my hands on. So the 24mm has additional purpose to serve and the ratio is very pleasing. I know you can crop the image but to reproduce it has its advantages, its about a 18megapixel image.

since63 said:
Hi Guys,

Besides using the 24mm TS for perspective correction, are there any other unique functions? Thanks again for visiting this thread.

if you use this on a 20D, it can crammed your fingers:bsmilie: when you shift or tilt to the extreme.

since63 said:
Am interested in viewing pictures taken with the above mentioned lense and its capabilities. Very much appreciated, if anyone can post some sample pictures taken with this lense. Thank You.

I found that its quite difficult to use the lens on a cropped DSLR. Had problems focusing on my D60 last time, and on my 20D now. The viewfinder is not as bright as a full frame SLR and focusing when using the tilt function can be tricky! Or maybe I just don't have enough practise with it! No problems when using the shift function.

Also I find that the tilt effect is not so obvious on a cropped DSLR. For example, a horizontal zone in the middle of a picture in focus but the top and bottom zones out of focus. I think this lens really works best on a full frame DSLR or normal SLR.

Belle&Sebastain said:
its a bit tilited to the left, thks for info, will correct it.

its not as wide as i want to be, so i shift and stitch to make a panoranic shot.

the 38mm lens makes a good product shot lens, its also great when you dun really get the vignetting effect found on full frame and 1.3 crop cameras when you fully shifted the lens.

on a full frame, the 24mm will have its full glory

to David, yes, i could have use a wider lens i i have not unfortunely, i used what i can lay my hands on. So the 24mm has additional purpose to serve and the ratio is very pleasing. I know you can crop the image but to reproduce it has its advantages, its about a 18megapixel image.

Hello BS,

Wow, impressive 18megapixel image. That's hugh! The details must be amazing when looking at the 54mb image.

Can the 24mTS be used with a teleconvertor, as a longer product lense?

Is the vignetting on the FF DSLR a major problem, particularlly on the EOS 5D?

Thank You for contributing and also for answering my queries.

Macky said:
I found that its quite difficult to use the lens on a cropped DSLR. Had problems focusing on my D60 last time, and on my 20D now. The viewfinder is not as bright as a full frame SLR and focusing when using the tilt function can be tricky! Or maybe I just don't have enough practise with it! No problems when using the shift function.

Also I find that the tilt effect is not so obvious on a cropped DSLR. For example, a horizontal zone in the middle of a picture in focus but the top and bottom zones out of focus. I think this lens really works best on a full frame DSLR or normal SLR.

Hello Macky, Thank You for sharing your experience.

Does the others have the same problem using the tilt effect?

What is the "feature" difference between the Canon TS and the Nikon PC? Or rather does the PC lense has the tilt function as well?

since63 said:
Hello BS,

Wow, impressive 18megapixel image. That's hugh! The details must be amazing when looking at the 54mb image.

Can the 24mTS be used with a teleconvertor, as a longer product lense?

Is the vignetting on the FF DSLR a major problem, particularlly on the EOS 5D?

Thank You for contributing and also for answering my queries.

the image is about 182mb, 16bit.

24mm i do not think a teleconvertor can fit, not that it i tried it, but the 90mm one is phyisically possible.

i do not have the 5D to comment, but i will try on my one day old mkIIN next week for tests. the vignetting will make your skies (if you shoot landscrapes) more deeper if you tilit beyond 8 degress.

How much does TS-E 24mm f/3.5L typically cost in the market? :) Thanks. :think:

eAgles said:
How much does TS-E 24mm f/3.5L typically cost in the market? :) Thanks. :think:

singapore, i think its retailling for about $2300 thereabouts, i tried selling my 2nd hand for $1750 but no takers, anyway i got another project that i need this lens, so its in the cards for now.:)

since63 said:
What is the "feature" difference between the Canon TS and the Nikon PC? Or rather does the PC lense has the tilt function as well?

Canon calls it... Tilt & Shift (hence, TS)

Nikon calls it... Perspective Correction (tada! PC)

Belle&Sebastain said:
the image is about 182mb, 16bit.

24mm i do not think a teleconvertor can fit, not that it i tried it, but the 90mm one is phyisically possible.

i do not have the 5D to comment, but i will try on my one day old mkIIN next week for tests. the vignetting will make your skies (if you shoot landscrapes) more deeper if you tilit beyond 8 degress.

Does that means that there'll be no vignetting, when the tilt/shift is not being used? And it'll also work like a normal 24mm lens without vignetting on FF?

Thanks again BS, for sharing your experience. Looking forward to see your new test. Do keep me in the loop. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.