Tripod question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did sort of handcarry a Slik U9000 through Singapore Cruise Centre this year CNY. Sort of - coz it was stuffed into my bag which was handcarried. It passed through Singapore ICA X-ray ok. That Slik is about 50cm folded with head and all.
I am just wondering if it's carried in an exposed manner (you know lowepro kind of strapped in carrying)...then how.

My U9000 also passed through Indonesia's Pulau Balai checkpoint. They were more concerned about my wife's bulk of make-up powdering discs (they want $$$). :)

Maybe airport ICA is not as lax.

Hmmmm, its something to think about. Anyone traveled on Malaysian Airlines/Air Asia with a tripod before? I guess I'll just have to take a look on the spot and decide if the 1227 will fit into my luggage bag then :think:

The airport is responsible for providing the security, not the airline. In any case, EVEN IF (and that's a big IF) a particular airport/airline allows you to hand carry, surely having spent $$$$$ on a tripod you would want to be able to travel using most airports/airlines? Hence, I suggest you don't base your purchasing decision on what a particular airline/airport allows - anyway, these policy can change.

The folded length of the 1227 is 65cm. See this:
http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric/tripods/mountaineer/rightscreen.php3

Before you go to the shop, measure the diagonal of your luggage and see first. I think you would need a huge suitcase to take in the 1227. Of course you can try and remove the center column to save a few cm, but thats about it.

Gymrat76 said:
Hmmmm, its something to think about. Anyone traveled on Malaysian Airlines/Air Asia with a tripod before? I guess I'll just have to take a look on the spot and decide if the 1227 will fit into my luggage bag then :think:
I brought a gitzo 1128 on SQ and UA before, in a haversack and plastic bag, was not stopped and allowed to board the plane HAND carrying it.

:)

Hmmm, the 1227 is too long to even strap properly to my MiniTrekker.. Sure to stick out like a sore thumb :(

Status
Not open for further replies.