Tripod - please help with the choice

I've checked in my Sirui T1004X into my soft-case luggage, no damages seen visibly, even thou I saw alot of scratch marks on my luggage.

Haha of course, since its in a luggage. If I have to check in my tripod I would put it into my luggage too. If you check it in separately you don't know what will happen.

lovefoto said:
In this case, the aluminum one should stronger than the carbon fibre one?

i'm going to buy a new bag also, maybe versapack 200 aw, but not sure if i can handle lens + daily stuff + tripod all on my back... I'm 165cm tall

Aluminium is tubing and it can get dented or bent. CF will not bend much but will break. Steel will also bend if it is tubing. Solid steel will be extremely heavy.

In the end you need to ask yourself what abuse you will be putting the tripod through. You also need to ask yourself if you are going to travel with it, if you are going to check it in, how you are going to pack it, if you are going to be carrying it all the way, etc. How you are going to use your tripod will determine what you can live with also. How you pack your tripod will also matter.

Everything will break with enough force applied.

For some people, myself included, I have two different tripod setups. One light one heavier. I will use my lighter one for travel.

Don't forget that your entire support is only as strong as the weakest link. So if you get a super strong tripod but skimp on the head, the weakest link will still give you trouble.

Last edited:
Haha of course, since its in a luggage. If I have to check in my tripod I would put it into my luggage too. If you check it in separately you don't know what will happen.

I hope I never have to do the separate check in...many of us have seen what can happen to those tripods.

Aluminium is tubing and it can get dented or bent. CF will not bend much but will break. Steel will also bend if it is tubing. Solid steel will be extremely heavy.

In the end you need to ask yourself what abuse you will be putting the tripod through. You also need to ask yourself if you are going to travel with it, if you are going to check it in, how you are going to pack it, if you are going to be carrying it all the way, etc. How you are going to use your tripod will determine what you can live with also. How you pack your tripod will also matter.

Everything will break with enough force applied.

For some people, myself included, I have two different tripod setups. One light one heavier. I will use my lighter one for travel.

Don't forget that your entire support is only as strong as the weakest link. So if you get a super strong tripod but skimp on the head, the weakest link will still give you trouble.

I agree. But I'm just too lazy to lug around a heavy tripod. Probably my shooting style and what I shoot normally don't require a heavy tripod yet. I am led to believe that heavier tripods are normally meant for shooting in places where it's extremely windy, is that true?

I hope I never have to do the separate check in...many of us have seen what can happen to those tripods.

I agree. But I'm just too lazy to lug around a heavy tripod. Probably my shooting style and what I shoot normally don't require a heavy tripod yet. I am led to believe that heavier tripods are normally meant for shooting in places where it's extremely windy, is that true?

Beside windy places, some installed twin flashes, big gun etc will increase the load to the tripod...

Beside windy places, some installed twin flashes, big gun etc will increase the load to the tripod...

IC...perhaps this is why a good ballhead is required for heavy stuffs. I've yet to look past anything >2kg with my heaviest setup.

The basic principle is vibration affecting the camera during the exposure. You eliminate those sources you get sharp images. Work upwards.

If the ground vibrates such as shooting from the Sheares bridge, you may want to do a timed exposure of 10 to 30 minutes in order to neutralise the effects of cars bouncing you.
If there is strong wind. Weigh down.
If ballhead/pan head/ quick release plates etc is not properly connected,
If your controls are not tightened,
If your camera shutter is heavy on its bounce, all these will play a part. As well as your personal and very subjective consideration of what is acceptably sharp. What is sharp at 4R is unlikely to be sharp at a 24x36 print.

You don't need to pay a lot to get these right but you do need to pay a lot if you want a solid platform to do things quickly. Good controls, quick action stuff stem from solid engineering and good materials all of which will cost money. A good camera support has infinite solutions and trade-offs : )

Wow...Steel tripod....Wonder how heavy is it. Weight is my no.2 concern after budget...

i have 2 tripods, alu one for when i am using light gear and the steel one when i bring out the big guns. Carrying a almost 3kg tripod whole day is not really much problem for me. For places that dont allow tripod, i bring out my titanium alloy monopod. They were practically bargains anyway.

best case scenario, it is at the baggage collection although most users usually expect it to be "missing". The most heartpain is if see the tripod dented here and there upon collection.

Reportage said:
best case scenario, it is at the baggage collection although most users usually expect it to be "missing". The most heartpain is if see the tripod dented here and there upon collection.

Haha I expect Gitzos to go "missing" a lot more than Benro or Sirui :bsmilie:

There are also people that still sell wooden tripods as well.

Read an article once when I was researching for a tripod to buy. Wooden > Carbon Fiber > Aluminum Tripods. But the wooden ones for big guns are heavier than steel :sweat:

antique-camera-tripod-2.jpg

;)

There are also people that still sell wooden tripods as well.

I have two of those : ) and very nice if a little inconvenient at times to use. The only steel tripod I have is the Novoflex tabletop one. The legs are anodized so it would not rust. Really limited in usage :)

I have two of those : ) and very nice if a little inconvenient at times to use. The only steel tripod I have is the Novoflex tabletop one. The legs are anodized so it would not rust. Really limited in usage :)

The wooden ones absorb vibrations very well. A certain landscape master here is using it for his landscape shots:)

Read an article once when I was researching for a tripod to buy. Wooden > Carbon Fiber > Aluminum Tripods. But the wooden ones for big guns are heavier than steel :sweat:

Weight for weight, a wooden one holds heavier loads. For example, a stabil speed (http://www.stabil.nu/10.html) is only 2.35 kg, it can handle an 8x10 view camera. I would have to use my Slik Profi 4 which extends to greater heights but weighs ... oops cannot remember! I think 6-7 kgs

It does not freeze your hands in cold conditions.

It takes vibrations better.

At the end of the day, a wooden tripod is not a fast setup sort of gadget and it takes time to mature. An older tripod is better (personal opinion)

Lastly they are also very bulky! Not what I would recommend the average Joe for travel.

The wooden ones absorb vibrations very well. A certain landscape master here is using it for his landscape shots:)

: ) I use them in concert halls only :bsmilie:

The Gitzo Ocean Explorer is made of steel...

So they say, I think.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Gitzo_Ocean_Traveler_GK1581OT

"Gitzo 6X carbon fiber tubes and G-Lock further enhance its outstanding performance" & "The upper Stainless Steel leg ends are provided with a special funnel-like hole that allows to empty the small amount of water that may have entered the tubes."

Not quite full stainless steel is it? Probably true that it is the first stainless steel tripod. Steel models are usually studio type stands, not really portable.

Gitzo ocean traveler is a Carbon Fiber tripod with stainless steel parts. Stainless steel is not exactly the same as the steel in other steel tripods.