Tripod check-in problems at airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiwi

After the Sept 11 tragedy, is it any problem to hand carry a tripod through customs? I'm thinking of going to Europe.... and my tripod can't fit into my check-in backpack!

Originally posted by Kiwi
After the Sept 11 tragedy, is it any problem to hand carry a tripod through customs? I'm thinking of going to Europe.... and my tripod can't fit into my check-in backpack!

Haven't tried US/Europe, but no problems hand carrying a tripod to China.

Regards
CK

Hi There,

Just to share with you, it would be wiser to put the tripod (dismantle the head to fit the tripod in the luggage - wrapt the tripod with some tshirts/towel) at least when going through the customs.

I enter and exit US on February, May and July this year and did not have any issue with bringing in the tripod. And Australia last couple of weeks. Just Don't look panick......

But no kiddng, if you actually look at the luggage scan in Changi airport, the tripod sure looks like a tri-barrel gun (that is true for my Slik 300DX tripod....hahahah......in Changi Airport, you may be (90%) asked to open the luggage, so be prepared.

Worst comes to worst, by the the fact that it cant fit into your backpack....chances that you can't also have it with you all the way and have it sitting on your lap or below the seat or even next to you (need a ticket then) - discomfort.........right before you get on the plane, pass the tripod to the cabin crew and ask them to stow it somewhere (thay have space for odd hand carry items) and a tag....so that you can collect it whe you get off.

regards,
Sulhan

P/S: Carry your camera by hand!!!!!!......

Thanks ckiang and Sulhan. I brought it on a trip to Penang by plane early this year... just suddenly dawned on me If Europe is ok. Since you guys passed thru China and US, I think mine shouldn't be a problem.

Don't get me wrong, my tripod is not the very big and heavy type. But as I often backpack, not carry big luggage with wheels, it takes too much space to squeeze the tripod in. And I don't think I bear to have the Gitzo being slammed aorund. I've heard amazing stories of how those pple handle the bags!

Just dont hold your tripod like this:

stinger_03.jpg

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

that would be a very unwise thing to do... esp today of all days... :D

Well, I just strap my manfrotto tripod on my nature trekker whenever I take a plane. The officers at the x-ray machine will see clearly at the equipment and did not even bother to ask me to open or show the content of bag.

Originally posted by Saw
Well, I just strap my manfrotto tripod on my nature trekker whenever I take a plane. The officers at the x-ray machine will see clearly at the equipment and did not even bother to ask me to open or show the content of bag.

When was the last time you travelled? My friend got stopped at San Francisco 2 days back. Nowadays you need to power on laptop for the customs officers. In some airports, there are X-Ray machines every 10m.

Originally posted by maddog

When was the last time you travelled? My friend got stopped at San Francisco 2 days back. Nowadays you need to power on laptop for the customs officers. In some airports, there are X-Ray machines every 10m.

In 1998 when I went NYC and Las Vegas, and in 1999 when I went Vegas, in all instances, I was asked to power up the lap top I am carrying. The are satisfied when they see the Windows 98 screen. Then I have to wait for the boot up to complete, shut down, pack, before I can move on. Damned troublesome. If I want to put a bomb into a laptop, I can make it boot up also what.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

In 1998 when I went NYC and Las Vegas, and in 1999 when I went Vegas, in all instances, I was asked to power up the lap top I am carrying. The are satisfied when they see the Windows 98 screen. Then I have to wait for the boot up to complete, shut down, pack, before I can move on. Damned troublesome. If I want to put a bomb into a laptop, I can make it boot up also what.

Regards
CK

They don't know that the bomb will only explode when Win98 blue screens... :bsmilie:

I've been carrying my tripod around as carry-on luggage with no problems here in Europe. I have been travelling intensively between London various European cities (Denmark, Prague, France, etc...) all year long with my equipment and all I do is remove my ball-head to store in my pack and simply carry the tripod using a Manfrotto shoulder strap. No one has stopped be so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.